So does E-Logger V-3 work with WIN10 or not? - RC Groups
Jan 03, 2017, 10:28 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
Discussion

So does E-Logger V-3 work with WIN10 or not?

Interesting turn of events for me today. My second Eagle Tree V-3 system just got here tonight. Haven't tried it on my Win10 laptop yet as it's my only link to the outside world right now and my Win7 desktop is in total meltdown and will likely need format and install. I do have an XT system (for dedicated battery testing) and a Vista system (yuck)(for dedicated media center). I'd prefer to use my Win7 desktop for Eagle Tree but it may be getting a Win 10 update whether it likes it or not. What is the consensus? Will V-3 work with Win 10 or not?

Joe
to remove ads between posts
Jan 04, 2017, 09:36 AM
Hello,

Yes, the software will work fine, however there is a known issue with Windows 8.1 and higher and usb devices, not just our products. It is an issue with the power management that Windows 8.1 and higher uses.

Please refer to the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article regarding this issue:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2900614

We hope that Microsoft will release a patch that will prevent this feature from being the default configuration for USB devices.

Regards, John
Jan 04, 2017, 07:33 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
Thanks for the post John. It looks like I may finally have my Win7 desktop kinda, sorta "working" again. I hope to get a chance to try my second Eagle Tree V-3 on the Win 10 laptop soon. I've used my first set of V-3 equipment with XT, Vista and Win7 with no problems so far. Quality equipment and quality support. I don't expect a lot of problems when I get a chance to try it on Win 10.

Joe
Jan 07, 2017, 06:55 PM
John, thanks for the info, was just getting set up on the new Win10 machine and found it was having trouble. I had to follow the Workaround Resolution path and use regedit to resolve the issue, but now it recognizes my eLogger v4 in the Win10's USB port.
Oct 28, 2017, 09:51 PM

Workaround Works!

Wow! After fighting all afternoon with some elogger v4s I picked up, I followed the instructions here and on the Microsoft site. Fixed my issues! I wish Windows did not shut down power to USB ports/devices and I wish one did not need to edit the registry to resolve. Definitely not a Mac!
Oct 30, 2017, 09:21 PM
No bounce, No play.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pricedempler
....Definitely not a Mac!
Somewhere back in the mid 90's or so Microsoft coined a phrase "Plug and Pray"
Oct 30, 2017, 11:54 PM

Plug n Pray

This issue, which has been around since at least Win8, has been a real pain in the ass. It started with devices not being powered while plugged in to the pc's USB port, as soon as the PC detected no activity. Then, wireless mice that use a dongle would shut down so you had to jiggle the mouse to "wake it up." Then I set up a weather station with an old laptop so that weather data would populate Weather Underground automatically. It would send the first set of data and then go to sleep and not wake up.

Now the terrific Eagle Tree devices won't stay active because of this MS "feature" called Enhanced Power Management. A fine feature but with no way to manage other than registry edits, it stinks. Should simply be a setting in the Power Management tools.

Enough griping. I am grateful to Eagle Tree for pointing me in exactly the right direction. My new (to me) telemetry gear is now functioning perfectly. Now where is that old laptop.....