Speed Addict SuperLight 3" - Page 2 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Thread Tools
Mar 20, 2017, 09:18 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainstorm
That's good to hear, Aileron. I got a Swift Mini in last week, with 2.1mm (wide angle) lens because that's all RMRC had on offer. Will install it soon based on your positive feedback. Hopefully the 2.1mm lens will be OK. Certainly better than tunnel vision with a 2.8mm lens. If not, I can always order 2.5mm directly from RunCam.

LOL,
I went through RC directly myself and picked-up a pair of lenses. The 2.1 works well, but I ultimately went with the 2.5mm, just because that's my preference for any camera. Something different, the lens cap fits the 2.5mm lens so well I might actually use it instead of throw it away like I typically do.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Mar 28, 2017, 02:30 PM
Registered User
flydynamics's Avatar
For those, like me, that are tired and more to deal with the lack of reliability of the furious FPV Piko BLX and the little better Piko BLX clones (funny to see a clone more reliable and cheaper, still not fancy reliable though) and want to go the Full size FC route here we go:

90g before pack using 3D printed camera mount. flyies fantastically well. Snow is getting out of the way, might be able to come with a video soon
Mar 29, 2017, 06:47 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by flydynamics
For those, like me, that are tired and more to deal with the lack of reliability of the furious FPV Piko BLX and the little better Piko BLX clones (funny to see a clone more reliable and cheaper, still not fancy reliable though) and want to go the Full size FC route here we go:

90g before pack using 3D printed camera mount. flyies fantastically well. Snow is getting out of the way, might be able to come with a video soon
Great looking quad; it doesn't look sparse like most ultralights. The main advantage to a smaller stack in my eyes are prop size for <130mm quads, because it's not like splitting the mid-fuselage area in half has an appreciable impact to overall weight redx. Even then for a 3" prop we're talking about 13% increase in prop size for a 20x20 stack, e.g., less than half what's needed to accommodate a 4" prop. So I see no real gain from using a 20x20 stack other than the unique aesthetic of slimming it offers a few quads out there.

That said, these new ultra-tiny 12x12 stacks, or something like that, will afford an entire prop size upgrade (3" to 4") but I can't imagine the poor quality of those things, and no matter what they're going to be missing some key features and never be true AIO's for anything larger than a tiny whoop, because their physical size limits the current handling capabilities.
Mar 29, 2017, 08:05 AM
Registered User
There had been a smattering of 3" vs 4" debate in the 4" thread. General idea was that a 3" couldn't keep up with a 4 due to having half or 3/4 the power, but only being slightly lighter.
Now we are seeing these little buggers being 1/2 the weight at 125g auw with roughly 1/2 the thrust.
Has anyone compared the 250 auw 4s 4" to a 125g 3s 3" directly yet?
Seems they gotta be close in power but more nimble, although you do loose out on some creature comforts.
Mar 29, 2017, 08:38 AM
Registered User
flydynamics's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brchap
There had been a smattering of 3" vs 4" debate in the 4" thread. General idea was that a 3" couldn't keep up with a 4 due to having half or 3/4 the power, but only being slightly lighter.
Now we are seeing these little buggers being 1/2 the weight at 125g auw with roughly 1/2 the thrust.
Has anyone compared the 250 auw 4s 4" to a 125g 3s 3" directly yet?
Seems they gotta be close in power but more nimble, although you do loose out on some creature comforts.
I have both. 4" is in another league of course however, the light SL3 is the best compromise I have ever had on a fpv machine, very very pleasant to fly.
Last edited by flydynamics; Mar 29, 2017 at 08:59 AM.
Mar 29, 2017, 09:36 AM
Registered User
Can you elaborate some? I'm looking for a winter project and a sub 5" is what I'm looking at. Just undecided on what form factor.
Mar 29, 2017, 09:44 AM
I just wanna fly, fly, fly
Brainstorm's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brchap
Now we are seeing these little buggers being 1/2 the weight at 125g auw with roughly 1/2 the thrust.
Has anyone compared the 250 auw 4s 4" to a 125g 3s 3" directly yet?
Brchap: That's a brilliant way of looking at 3" versus 4" builds! If we adjust AUW in proportion to thrust, the comparison looks very different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flydynamics
I have both. 4" is in another league of course however, the light SL3 is the best compromise I have ever had on a fpv machine, very very pleasant to fly.
flydynamics: Thanks for the real-life feedback. I think the difference boils down to type of flying area (or race course). Lightweight 4" FPV racers, like the SuperLight 4R, are essentially on par with the performance of larger 5" quads now. As a result, however, they may also require a comparably large amount of space to deliver that performance.

Something smaller and lighter, like the SuperLight 3", may not be able to keep up in the performance department. However, thanks to lower mass, the 3" quad will be a lot more nimble. Thus it will be able to fly well in a much, much smaller area. The 3" quad will be able to leverage its full performance envelope in a private backyard, as opposed to needing a public park or open field. I think of it an outdoor brushless counterpart to an indoor-focused, brushed Tiny Whoop. With spring in the air, it's the perfect evolution.
Mar 29, 2017, 10:18 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainstorm
Brchap: That's a brilliant way of looking at 3" versus 4" builds! If we adjust AUW in proportion to thrust, the comparison looks very different.



flydynamics: Thanks for the real-life feedback. I think the difference boils down to type of flying area (or race course). Lightweight 4" FPV racers, like the SuperLight 4R, are essentially on par with the performance of larger 5" quads now. As a result, however, they may also require a comparably large amount of space to deliver that performance.

Something smaller and lighter, like the SuperLight 3", may not be able to keep up in the performance department. However, thanks to lower mass, the 3" quad will be a lot more nimble. Thus it will be able to fly well in a much, much smaller area. The 3" quad will be able to leverage its full performance envelope in a private backyard, as opposed to needing a public park or open field. I think of it an outdoor brushless counterpart to an indoor-focused, brushed Tiny Whoop. With spring in the air, it's the perfect evolution.
Agreed, although the opposite is true as well. The 4" variety would handle better in windy conditions and probably be smoother and ultimately somewhat faster on the straightaways for the racers out there. It really depends on the application, but I find the two options intriguing, particularly for the folks in countries with <250g restrictions.
Mar 29, 2017, 10:23 AM
Registered User
flydynamics's Avatar
Brchap: I will be able to help you, I just need to know what you are looking for with this frame. Type of area you're planning to fly, setup you are willing to use, expectations for performance then I will have something specific to answer.

Brainstorm: The SL3 at that weight is perfect for tight track if you plan to race, indoor, or wide open area with a tad slower pace than 5" or 4". My favorite area with the SL3 is a wide open forest. Backyard, unless you got a big one, don't expect to open throttle to full, nor expect it indoor. Despite being light with small motors (compromise again) it's very powerful. It's as nimble as you set your rates for; I think it's the perfect trainer for FPV, light, relatively cheap on electronics and batteries (Using nanotech 450 3S) and very pure in trajectories. The possibility to handle tight turns is amazing for this size (thanks to the low weight) and you can even put a Runcam HD type camera on top to shoot HD vid
Mar 29, 2017, 11:20 AM
Registered User
I don't race, and I can't claim to be a good freestyle pilot but that's more my leaning. I have a wide open field I usually fly my 5" as well as a largish yard I keep my qx95 in. I have forest behind me but it's too tight to fly even a 3" for my skill. Perfect whoop trees.

I love the idea of the smaller form, but I think I'd enjoy the 4" with some hot motors, esp if build superlight, more.

Thank you for the insight so far!
Mar 29, 2017, 12:09 PM
I just wanna fly, fly, fly
Brainstorm's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by flydynamics
The SL3 at that weight is perfect for tight track if you plan to race, indoor, or wide open area with a tad slower pace than 5" or 4". My favorite area with the SL3 is a wide open forest. Backyard, unless you got a big one, don't expect to open throttle to full, nor expect it indoor. Despite being light with small motors (compromise again) it's very powerful.
Thank you for the detailed insight. You are right. It'll still be very fast for an average backyard. This reminds me very much of the Atom. It looks all small, cute, and slow (relative to 5" mini). However, open up the throttle, and it hits like lightning.

FYI, I also tried 2S with the Atom, and would expect the SL3 to react similarly. 2S reduces weight and power, and makes throttle more manageable. However, WOT is still a bit much for the backyard, "unless you got a big one," as you say. Maybe reduced rates and a throttle curve would help. In any case, you still have to go easy on the throttle.
Mar 29, 2017, 12:22 PM
Registered User
flydynamics's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainstorm
Thank you for the detailed insight. You are right. It'll still be very fast for an average backyard. This reminds me very much of the Atom. It looks all small, cute, and slow (relative to 5" mini). However, open up the throttle, and it hits like lightning.

FYI, I also tried 2S with the Atom, and would expect the SL3 to react similarly. 2S reduces weight and power, and makes throttle more manageable. However, WOT is still a bit much for the backyard, "unless you got a big one," as you say. Maybe reduced rates and a throttle curve would help. In any case, you still have to go easy on the throttle.
2S might be good for indoor beginners as 3S will be difficult to handle without good throttle control. Easy on throttle is the key, maybe a bit less tilt on the camera would help too. Still good for tight track. I have found it surprisingly addictive for 3", I would have never thought that most of my flights would be with a tiny 3" frame. Maybe Canadian winter helped to enjoy the small size better, but outside tight areas are as fun wide open fast tracks/spaces.
Apr 09, 2017, 03:46 AM
Registered User
flydynamics's Avatar
Finally been able to go outside and fly a bit.
Grey sky, showers and wind didn't motivated me more than 2 packs.

Quick demo of the superlight set-up at 90g without pack (123 with 450mA 3S pack)

SL3 (1 min 18 sec)
Apr 09, 2017, 11:15 PM
Registered User
Do you think this could hold a Runcam swift mini?
Apr 09, 2017, 11:18 PM
Registered User
flydynamics's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by anarchy187
Do you think this could hold a Runcam swift mini?
10 more grams would be no problem at all !


Thread Tools