Jan 03, 2017, 06:08 PM
Discussion

Speed Addict SuperLight 3"

Catalyst Machineworks is about to release the Speed Addict SuperLight 3". The SL3" is based on the popular Speed Addict SuperLight 5".

I'll be detailing this little one here as I'm very excited about the different options this frame is offering as well as its very light weight.

The frame has been designed to accept a wide range of electronics:

Flight Controller:
Regular size 36x36mm, 35x35mm, Kiss FC will also fit or a pico FC like the Pico BLX from Furious FPV with its 20x20mm size. All holes are already there, ready to be used, pick your favorite flight controller, The SL3 will accept it out of the box !

Motors:
Here again, LOTS of options depending on what you want your 3" frame to become.
Weight chaser and adepts of relax tamed flying around the backyard would be happy to hear that the 1105 motors are fitting like a white gloves to this little guy.
Weight haters like me, are excited to put their 1304 motors on this very light frame to find one of the best compromise you can have on that format, bringing the weight of the machine WITH a 450mA 3S LiPo pack to 150-160g !!!!
American Muscle cars enthusiast and drag racers obsessed with insanely powerful set-up on the rather heavier side would be happy to slam some 1306 or 1407 motors on the arms and enjoy a SL3" on steroids.
For the very heavy set-up lovers, a 1806-2300 motor WILL fit if using only 2 screws (which is no problem at all, I'm using only 2 screws on ALL my machines from 2" to 6") but we can probably question the choice of such a motor on a frame of that size.

FPV Camera:
3" frames generally use a 1/4 CMOS camera that has the advantage of offering a very light weight (around 2g) and a relatively good quality. A very well 3D printed TPU mount holds a Diatone type mount for the 1/4 FPV micro camera and slides over the 2 front spacers; this holds the FPV camera perfectly and provide vibe absorbtion like only TPU can do it !
Adding a HS1177 type camera that weight almost the same of the naked weight of your frame would be really adding weight unnecessarily.
Catalyst Machineworks had put a bit of thinking in that matter and offers a Runcam OWL mount for the SL3 making it very interesting for night flyers. The mount is sold separately as an upgrade and can be found here:
http://www.catalystmachineworks.com/...e-superlight-3

Speed Controllers:
Regular size ESC will fit, it's a tight fit, but it works. Those who want to use a 4 in 1 ESC will be happy to hear that the stack of the frame allow you to fit (Tight fit, it's a 3" frame remember) everything in the 27mm of the frame.
Ideal set-up would be the new KISS AIO but the beta public batch is sold out .... Time will tell how much weight can be saved by using this option since, as soon as Fluidino releases a second batch, I'll install one in my SL3.

Frame:
Not too much to say, Catalyst Machineworks has done his homework to keep the frame light, a unibody bottom plate and a top plate both cut in a high quality stiff carbon coupled with aluminum 2.5mm hardware to keep the weight down and keep a very strong and tough frame.

3D Printed Parts:
Kudos to Hobo, the Catalyst Machineworks master printer. The quality of the printing is excellent and at the level of some reputed companies selling 3D printed parts. Cool stuff is you can chose your color for the 3D printed parts during your order, a little difference that goes a long way sometimes

Frame Weight:
Let's get back to business and speak about the light weight of the frame mentioned many times earlier.
Frame with FPV camera mount = 27g
Frame with ALL 3D printed parts = 29g
Weight of the Catalyst Machineworks key ring = 7g

I will detail my build with pictures in the coming days, here is the set-up I have chosen to keep the weight low and have one of the best compromise I have ever have on a quad:
SL3 frame, of course
RCX 1304-4000Kv (1.5g more than 1105 motors and 50 to 60g more thrust and still half the weight of a 1306 motor using packs almost 3 times lighter)
XM20A
Pico BLX
1/4 700TVL micro camera
Eachine ET526 to be able to switch power while flying either indoor or outdoor
Home made 2g rubber ducky antenna
Gemfan 3025
450mA 3S

Some pics while waiting for more detailed pictures of the build
Last edited by flydynamics; Jan 04, 2017 at 07:48 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 04, 2017, 11:17 PM
A little bit of struggle to have the Piko BLX saving my custom parameters but after finding what was the issue, the Piko BLX had nothing to do with it, so knock on the wood.

Installation of the Piko BLX is almost as simple as any regular size FC, Furious FVP didn't pay too much attention to the position of the Spektrum satellite connector, that is binding with the hexagonal spacer, which force you to cut the spacer to clear it properly. Not a huge deal, but it would have been easy to avoid this issue.

The RCX 1304-4000Kv motor has been installed as well as a XM20A ESC. Like I mentioned in the earlier post, the fit is tight but actually it's not that critical either.

Some pics of the motor and ESC before soldering them.
Jan 05, 2017, 12:14 PM
Nice review here:

Catalyst MachineWorks 130 Superlight (5 min 43 sec)
Jan 16, 2017, 11:02 PM
Awesome!
Jan 17, 2017, 10:30 AM
Back after a few days fighting LOTS of issues with the spare electronics I had at home.
My old 2 years used ESCs were not working properly, the Piko BLX was a catastrophic nightmare to use, in fact it was unusable at all in my case (Thanks FuriousFPV, please work on your QC)
I then went back to a more reliable setup I used many times.
Piko BLX went, where it belong, the garbage and a F3 regular sized board was installed. 4 working XM20A were installed and a iRangeX FX801 (Futaba compatible since I'm using a Futaba Tx) took place between VTx and FC.
Final set-up:
SL3 frame
RCX 1304-4000Kv
XM20A
Foxeer F303
1/4 700TVL micro camera
Eachine ET526 to be able to switch power while flying either indoor or outdoor
Home made 2g rubber ducky antenna
Gemfan 3025
450mA 3S

Weight WITH 40g 450mA 3S is 152g
Weight WITHOUT 450 3S is 112g

Video soon
Feb 02, 2017, 09:27 PM
Z..
Z..
deleted
Last edited by Z..; Feb 16, 2017 at 03:59 AM.
Mar 19, 2017, 01:29 AM
My little rocket !
81g without pack
124g with 450mA 3S

Love it !
Mar 20, 2017, 08:50 AM
I just wanna fly, fly, fly
Quote:
Originally Posted by flydynamics
My little rocket !
81g without pack
124g with 450mA 3S

Love it !
Looks super sweet, flydynamics!

Can you give us some details about how you reduced weight so much? Going from 112g to 81g dry weight is incredible. That's almost a 30 percent reduction. You must reveal your secret diet!
Mar 20, 2017, 10:00 AM
Have folks had success with the new RC Swift mini's on this? I tested mine out yesterday on my AtomV3 and couldn't tell the difference in quality from my other Swift cameras. I forgot I was flying a 122mm quad by the end of the pack.
Mar 20, 2017, 10:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainstorm
Looks super sweet, flydynamics!

Can you give us some details about how you reduced weight so much? Going from 112g to 81g dry weight is incredible. That's almost a 30 percent reduction. You must reveal your secret diet!
Nothing spectacular in the build, I just got rid of the "heavy" camera and VTx and injected helium in the carbon
Cicada 10A 4 in 1 ESC, Piko BLX clone (as my experience with the furious stuff was disastrous) 1304-400Kv motors and a light AIO camera/VTx to save the weight of bigger camera and VTx.
Performance on 450 3S is really impressive.
Mar 20, 2017, 12:29 PM
Enjoying every minute of it...
Guessing that you don't have ghost branches to contend with/fly mostly in open fields? Prolly have a lot better vision than me as well...

Anyway, you can up your vtx and antenna for not that much weight tax, I'll pay the 10gm difference in flight cam as well...

I still need to reinforce the epoxy with kapton tape or something so it'll still end up a tad more weight, but reasonable for me...
Mar 20, 2017, 02:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by grnd flyr
Guessing that you don't have ghost branches to contend with/fly mostly in open fields? Prolly have a lot better vision than me as well...

Anyway, you can up your vtx and antenna for not that much weight tax, I'll pay the 10gm difference in flight cam as well...

I still need to reinforce the epoxy with kapton tape or something so it'll still end up a tad more weight, but reasonable for me...
Very nice.
Camera/VTx combo is perfect even in very dense area with tons of ghost branches.
Weight is 2.8g
Last edited by flydynamics; Mar 20, 2017 at 03:42 PM.
Mar 20, 2017, 05:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AILERON8
Have folks had success with the new RC Swift mini's on this? I tested mine out yesterday on my AtomV3 and couldn't tell the difference in quality from my other Swift cameras. I forgot I was flying a 122mm quad by the end of the pack.
Thatīs because itīs the same camera in another package.
Mar 20, 2017, 05:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enurian
Thatīs because itīs the same camera in another package.
Well sure, the sensor is the same, but when you look inside the electronics look quite different. The lens is also smaller than an 1177. Some micro versions of larger cams don't actually look the same as their larger counterparts. I'm happy to report the RC Swift Mini does indeed look like a Swift from the drivers seat.
Mar 20, 2017, 07:11 PM
I just wanna fly, fly, fly
Quote:
Originally Posted by AILERON8
That's good to hear, Aileron. I got a Swift Mini in last week, with 2.1mm (wide angle) lens because that's all RMRC had on offer. Will install it soon based on your positive feedback. Hopefully the 2.1mm lens will be OK. Certainly better than tunnel vision with a 2.8mm lens. If not, I can always order 2.5mm directly from RunCam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flydynamics
Nothing spectacular in the build, I just got rid of the "heavy" camera and VTx and injected helium in the carbon
Cicada 10A 4 in 1 ESC, Piko BLX clone (as my experience with the furious stuff was disastrous) 1304-400Kv motors and a light AIO camera/VTx to save the weight of bigger camera and VTx.
Performance on 450 3S is really impressive.
LOL, flydynamics!

A year ago a 30x30 FC plus 4-in-1 ESC was considered pretty lightweight. But now a 30x30 stack is obviously heavy when compared to 20x20mm electronics. 1304 motors are an excellent compromise, esp. since they handle 4S better than 1105 motors. Cameras I keep going back and forth. But it's impossible to deny the massive weight savings of an AIO cam. Nicely done!