Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales

FlyStrong Drone Care Protection Plan

For those who want a little piece of mind when flying their drone can now have it by shelling out a monthly fee...

Splash

Insurance for your Drone

For those who want a little piece of mind when flying their drone can now have it by shelling out a monthly fee. FlyStrong is a new company that is offering Protection Plans on most DJI drones. You can crash it, bash it, dunk it and send the pieces in for repair or replacement. The plans provide complete protection for the drone itself and does not cover the controller. There is no contract and you can cancel the plan at any time. As with all insurance and protection plans, do read the fine print to make sure you know all the details. Here's the breakdown on monthly fees for a few drones:

  • $9.99 - Phantom 3 Standard
  • $16.00 - Phantom 3 Pro
  • $17.99 - Phantom 3 4K
  • $19.99 - Mavic, Phantom 4 or 3 Advanced
  • $49.99 - Inspire 1 V2
  • $59.99 - Inspire 1 Pro
  • $79.99 - Inspire 1 Raw

Learn more about the FlyStrong Drone Care Protection Plans here.

Thread Tools
Old Jan 03, 2017, 03:49 PM
Panhead5496 is offline
Find More Posts by Panhead5496
Registered User
Panhead5496's Avatar
This is a great idea. At first I thought that it would be cheaper to just fix it yourself, but parts prices add up quickly, especially if it is badly damaged. And for those who don't know how to fix it I bet it's really handy.

The only thing it's missing is a flyaway coverage, which is what frightens me the most, and all my quads ae under $100
Old Jan 04, 2017, 11:28 AM
Matt Gunn is online now
Find More Posts by Matt Gunn
RCGroups Editor
Matt Gunn's Avatar
Here's my take on this service: as an owner of the DJI Inspire 1 Pro, for $180 additional per year, I can have full hull insurance and complete liability insurance.

I use Transport Risk Management's UAS insurance for my I1 Pro at $700 annually with 1 million liability. I added on hull insurance to replace the aircraft if damaged at $200 additional annually. The company in this news piece is offering hull insurance on the I1 Pro for roughly $720 annually. Depending on your personal perspective (and depending on the aircraft you fly), it almost makes more sense to spend the extra $180 annually and get liability insurance and hull insurance. Thoughts?
Administrator
Old Jan 04, 2017, 01:42 PM
Blue Collar is online now
Find More Posts by Blue Collar
Registered User
I'm with you Matt it seems a little overpriced. The only advantage I see is that you could just get it for one month here and there for any jobs that would be particularly hazardous for flying. (over water or doing high speed runs close to the ground) but the TRM route still seems like the better deal to me.
Old Jan 04, 2017, 04:35 PM
PE9999 is offline
Find More Posts by PE9999
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Gunn View Post
Here's my take on this service: as an owner of the DJI Inspire 1 Pro, for $180 additional per year, I can have full hull insurance and complete liability insurance.

I use Transport Risk Management's UAS insurance for my I1 Pro at $700 annually with 1 million liability. I added on hull insurance to replace the aircraft if damaged at $200 additional annually. The company in this news piece is offering hull insurance on the I1 Pro for roughly $720 annually. Depending on your personal perspective (and depending on the aircraft you fly), it almost makes more sense to spend the extra $180 annually and get liability insurance and hull insurance. Thoughts?
All sounds good, However just like the verify program. I like to see some claims record before I jump into it.
Old Jan 04, 2017, 09:25 PM
erkq is offline
Find More Posts by erkq
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panhead5496 View Post
This is a great idea. At first I thought that it would be cheaper to just fix it yourself, but parts prices add up quickly, especially if it is badly damaged. And for those who don't know how to fix it I bet it's really handy.

The only thing it's missing is a flyaway coverage, which is what frightens me the most, and all my quads ae under $100
The quads specified, especially the Mavic and Inspire, are not generally user serviceable. And no one in the forums I monitor has reported a "fly-away". Granted, I don't hear from the entire population of owners, but the ones on RCGroups, InspirePilots, PhantomPilots, DroneDeploy, and DJI Forums threads that I monitor have not reported a fly-away.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 04, 2017, 10:37 PM
craigiri is offline
Find More Posts by craigiri
Critic at Large
craigiri's Avatar
Generally, I'd go for Neary Aerial due to them having a good history of repair.

With a new company like this you have to consider who is behind them? I heard DJI actually "sold" a 3rd party the Refresh bit...that is, an insurance company stands behind it.

I don't think anyone would want expensive (this) insurance relying on "well, hopefully they get enough signups who pay so they can pay mine when the time comes".

In other words, reputation is EVERYTHING in insurance.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 04, 2017, 10:44 PM
Panhead5496 is offline
Find More Posts by Panhead5496
Registered User
Panhead5496's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
The quads specified, especially the Mavic and Inspire, are not generally user serviceable. And no one in the forums I monitor has reported a "fly-away". Granted, I don't hear from the entire population of owners, but the ones on RCGroups, InspirePilots, PhantomPilots, DroneDeploy, and DJI Forums threads that I monitor have not reported a fly-away.
Really? I didn't know that about not being user serviceable! That's interesting. I have had a few flyaway but with cheap ones so I'm scarred. But nevermind what I said haha it's not relevant
Old Jan 05, 2017, 02:21 AM
CG Photo is offline
Find More Posts by CG Photo
Part 107 Certified
CG Photo's Avatar
Quote:

I use Transport Risk Management's UAS insurance for my I1 Pro at $700 annually with 1 million liability.
Do you have contact info? I'd like to get liability for my Inspire and Mavic.
Old Jan 06, 2017, 05:16 PM
Altoona is offline
Find More Posts by Altoona
Registered User
Altoona's Avatar
Doesn't the warranty cover a drone purchase? You can even get an extended warranty. This all seems pretty fishy to me.
Old Jan 06, 2017, 06:15 PM
erkq is offline
Find More Posts by erkq
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altoona View Post
Doesn't the warranty cover a drone purchase? You can even get an extended warranty. This all seems pretty fishy to me.
Nothing "fishy". Just try to collect on a warranty after a crash. A warranty is not hull insurance.
RCG Plus Member


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Alert CAREFUL!!! Ostrich Drone!!! Ron van Sommeren Life, The Universe, and Politics 14 Oct 02, 2016 09:06 AM
Discussion A good health care plan until it wasn't. BE77 Pilot Life, The Universe, and Politics 131 Jul 15, 2016 06:15 AM
Discussion Protecting plans Oceans568 The Builders Workshop 13 Jul 09, 2016 03:03 PM
Sold GoPro Hero 4 Silver + 2 Year Protection Plan sniz FPV Equipment (FS/W) 2 Feb 17, 2016 03:37 PM
Discussion protect my plans Grampus192 Balsa Builders 12 Oct 28, 2015 12:21 PM