Thread Tools
Jan 03, 2017, 12:32 AM
Registered User
New Product

HoverBot Nano 40g Brushless 90mm Quadcopter


Hello friends,

We're excited to announce a new brushless micro quadcopter design, the HoverBot Nano. See our website for the full array of details and pictures:

hoverbot.io


The Nano is ultralight and strong, with prop-guarded builds as light as 40 grams, and a 90mm motor to motor distance. It's designed to be at home indoors and out, and each frame includes a lifetime warranty on all carbon fiber parts!



HoverBot Nano // Hooked on a Feeling (2 min 54 sec)


We've spent months perfecting this design, and we're extremely proud of how it performs and takes a crash. Our unique 3D frame geometry and laser-cut delrin guard links allow for an incredibly minimal design that is much stiffer and more resilient than a single carbon fiber plate. Carbon parts are 2mm thick and CNC machined with extremely small end mills to allow for a fastener-free snapping mechanism.

Recommended Components:
1103 motors
6A 1-2s ESCs
Piko BLX or other 20x20 mount FC
VM275t AIO FPV system



We use the racerstar 1-2s individual ESCs instead of the 4in1 to keep the the VTX as low as possible and protected by the guard links. We recommend the vm275t AIO camera because it is by far the lightest at 3.3g. The guard is fully removable and due to the high power:weight ratio of the build the nano has plenty of authority outdoors as well. We used JST-PH (e-flite 2s connector) to lower weight another 3-4g over standard JST batteries; compatibility with props up to 56mm allows for incredible efficiency at this size. With a 450mah 2s NanoTech ($7 battery) the Nano will hover for over 10 minutes on a charge!

Minimal build weights are as follows:

33g built with no prop guard
38 built with prop guard
54g AUW with 300 mAh 2s
64g AUW with 450 mAh 2s

Build video:
HoverBot Nano // Build Tutorial (18 min 29 sec)




3D printed mounts and accessories will all be posted publicly on thingiverse:

TX0X Camera Mount
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2010632


VM275T Camera Mount
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2010625

56mm Prop Cutter
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2014766
Last edited by elmtree; Feb 06, 2017 at 08:43 PM.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Jan 03, 2017, 12:47 AM
Registered User
Does the frame only kit come with the camera mount? I couldn't find it on your website
Jan 03, 2017, 01:06 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukalele94
Does the frame only kit come with the camera mount? I couldn't find it on your website
No the frame kit doesn't, but we've got that question a lot so we're putting the camera mount up on our website. Just waiting on a nice picture. The FPV kit does include it.

It's also available on thingiverse:
VM275T
TX0X
Jan 04, 2017, 05:00 PM
Registered User
We just finished editing our build video and have uploaded it to youtube!
Jan 04, 2017, 05:51 PM
Registered User
Reserved.
Last edited by NtiT; Jan 04, 2017 at 06:36 PM.
Jan 04, 2017, 05:51 PM
Forward ever, backward never!
Brainstorm's Avatar
elmtree: Definitely one of the sweeter BR1103-powered micro designs out there!

As I mentioned before, I like the "square" prop cage and the way it's mounted with snap-in-place acetal pieces. I also appreciate your choice of JST-PH connector, although I suspect most will have to buy new LiPos for this. (I only have 1S with JST-PH.) Not so sure about using four individual ESCs on the arms. I'd want to use a 20x20 4-in-1 ESC, even if it raises the stack.

How have those connecting pieces been holding up in crashes? Maybe you could include some spares? Similar point for the camera holder. Seems silly to sell the frame kit without the cam mount, esp. at the current asking price.
Jan 04, 2017, 06:35 PM
Quad Erat Demonstrandum
scousethief's Avatar
Sweet ! , good to see a build taken with consideration compared to some of the slapped together bodge it kits ive seen floating around lately.
Jan 05, 2017, 12:54 AM
Registered User
Very nice design, gents! Very close to pulling the trigger on this to use with a silver-ized H101 FC

I wanted to ask: how has the CF ring held up in flight (crash) testing? In the build video, it looks like one of the corner 'nubs' on the ring has cracked / fractured during the process of pushing the derlin arm through it (bottom right corner one, once all the arms are snapped in @ 5:30 in the video)..

As someone who has given up on CF bottom plates on the RS90 and moved to 3D printed plates, how do you handle the lifetime warranty on CF parts?

Lastly, how much for another 12 derlin arms?

i guess i'm giving away how great of a pilot i am
Jan 05, 2017, 02:05 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainstorm
elmtree: Definitely one of the sweeter BR1103-powered micro designs out there!

As I mentioned before, I like the "square" prop cage and the way it's mounted with snap-in-place acetal pieces. I also appreciate your choice of JST-PH connector, although I suspect most will have to buy new LiPos for this. (I only have 1S with JST-PH.) Not so sure about using four individual ESCs on the arms. I'd want to use a 20x20 4-in-1 ESC, even if it raises the stack.

How have those connecting pieces been holding up in crashes? Maybe you could include some spares? Similar point for the camera holder. Seems silly to sell the frame kit without the cam mount, esp. at the current asking price.
I personally haven't broken any of the guard links in a crash, but I probably don't crash hard enough! NtiT crashes harder and he's broken a few. We include 3 sets (12 total) in each kit. Camera holder wise, the reason it isn't included in the frame kit is because we simply don't have enough of them yet. Once we have open access to a 3D printer they will be, but for now we only have enough for the FPV kits. It's also available on thingiverse so if you have a printer or need more you can print them yourself.

I'd love to see a 4-in-1 build! I'm sure it would look cleaner. It's possible that we could make the guard horns stand higher in the next iteration of them to allow for better protection of a taller stack.
Jan 05, 2017, 02:10 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1gb33
Very nice design, gents! Very close to pulling the trigger on this to use with a silver-ized H101 FC

I wanted to ask: how has the CF ring held up in flight (crash) testing? In the build video, it looks like one of the corner 'nubs' on the ring has cracked / fractured during the process of pushing the derlin arm through it (bottom right corner one, once all the arms are snapped in @ 5:30 in the video)..

As someone who has given up on CF bottom plates on the RS90 and moved to 3D printed plates, how do you handle the lifetime warranty on CF parts?

Lastly, how much for another 12 derlin arms?

i guess i'm giving away how great of a pilot i am
I think the thing you're seeing in the video is actually the delrin. Some of it may peel off when you install the guard links. I think there it just folded over to look like cracked carbon. This was the best way to ensure a perfect fit even with tiny variation in the carbon. So basically if the carbon is a bit too small it will cut off some of the link when you first install it, but this does not weaken the link.
Jan 05, 2017, 02:36 AM
Registered User
KrisS's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmtree
No the frame kit doesn't, but we've got that question a lot so we're putting the camera mount up on our website. Just waiting on a nice picture. The FPV kit does include it.

It's also available on thingiverse:
VM275T
TX0X
You really should include the camera mount in the kit
Jan 05, 2017, 07:38 AM
Registered User
Loving the design, been thinking about something similar myself but I really like the sacrificial mounting system for the guard really gets around the too heavy or too weak issue.

As soon as I saw who was behind this I got excited, both users who's views I already respect. You guys know your micros.
Jan 05, 2017, 10:45 AM
Forward ever, backward never!
Brainstorm's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmtree
I personally haven't broken any of the guard links in a crash, but I probably don't crash hard enough! NtiT crashes harder and he's broken a few. We include 3 sets (12 total) in each kit.
Including extra quad links in the kit is a nice touch! Don't want to be grounded because one broke and the other three are still good.

Quote:
Camera holder wise, the reason it isn't included in the frame kit is because we simply don't have enough of them yet. Once we have open access to a 3D printer they will be, but for now we only have enough for the FPV kits. It's also available on thingiverse so if you have a printer or need more you can print them yourself.
Glad you guys are planning ahead with the camera holders. At this point, I still have to finish some 2.5" and 3" stuff, and work on a steady soldering hand. Hope that 3D production is ramped up, and the cam holder is included, by the time I'm ready for such a tiny micro (sub-micro?) build.

Quote:
I'd love to see a 4-in-1 build! I'm sure it would look cleaner. It's possible that we could make the guard horns stand higher in the next iteration of them to allow for better protection of a taller stack.
I have some 20x20 tiny 4-in-1 ESCs on hand. Planning to experiment with stack height, and get used to working at this tiny scale, with a couple of larger BL micros. Cutting the Spek Sat RX connector from the Piko BLX is a nice trick. Using JST-PH for LiPo connection, and soldering the connecter directly onto the Piko, is a smart weight-saving move.

You guys really thought this through. Kudos!
Jan 05, 2017, 10:58 AM
We are not men, we are DEVO 7e
xanuser's Avatar
will/do you offer snap on feet , so there's some lipo protection with guards off?
Jan 05, 2017, 11:13 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanuser
will/do you offer snap on feet , so there's some lipo protection with guards off?
We have all sorts of "accessory" designs planned, from TPU bumpers to landing feet to led integration in the camera mount. Just need a long enough break from packing boxes to test them out!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools