Aug 03, 2019, 06:37 PM
Warpsquid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cafu02
Hello all
Other than the Reverb, is there any recommended / compatible frame to use with the Wolf PDB?
Been breaking the Top Plate on the Reverb so looking to trying a different fame.

Thanks in advance
Afraid I can't really help you there, we don't maintain a list of compatible frames, others might have some feedback though. I did just want to check to see if you were running the latest version of the Reverb top plate. We had a few people with issues breaking them so we changed them from 1.5mm to 2mm. This was a long time ago now though, so it would have to be a pretty old frame but I thought it was worth mentioning
to remove ads between posts
Aug 03, 2019, 10:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impulse RC
Afraid I can't really help you there, we don't maintain a list of compatible frames, others might have some feedback though. I did just want to check to see if you were running the latest version of the Reverb top plate. We had a few people with issues breaking them so we changed them from 1.5mm to 2mm. This was a long time ago now though, so it would have to be a pretty old frame but I thought it was worth mentioning
Hey
Thanks for mentioning that. I have had this frame since launch and had to replace the top plate 3 times. My last order form your site shows it was the 1.5mm version. Guess that why it kept breaking, I'm out of replacement.
That why I was leaning towards something.
Last edited by cafu02; Aug 03, 2019 at 11:38 PM.
Aug 04, 2019, 11:42 AM
I need some gurus helpl!

Building my 3rd Alien with the newer Steele PDB and I for the life of me cannot arm it. This is my 3rd alien, but first one using the 4-1 25A esc, and the Steele PDB.

In the GUI, it will say its armed if I flip the aux switch and the lipo is disconnected, once I connect the lipo it goest back to disarm (this might be a safety feature?). Anyway, the green light on the PDB is solid, whereas the red light blinks about 3x a sec.

All cables are verified connected properly, white PDB cable to port 2 on my Kiss FC v1, and black cable going to the 4-1 ESCs. In the Kiss GUI all endpoints are correct, 1000/1500/2000 and my AUX 1 is set to arm, which shows in the GUI when I arm without the lipo. With the lipo it doesnt ARM, plugged in with USB or not. I cant test the motors either in the GUI, they wont spin although I can get the motor signal line to move with my throttle stick all up to 2000. All motors are getting power, and cables and solder joints all clean and verified. Its like my ESC isnt talking to my FC.
I have a solid green on the PDB and I get 3x red blinks per second. I think this is signalling an issue, as I read its supposed to blink 1 per sec/hearbeat.
Deets:
Alien 4.5"
Kiss FC v1 - updated to latest FW to RC34
Kiss 4-1 ESC - Update to latest FW (beta/beep one)
Steele PDB <--- halp
Xing 2350kv Motors

Vid below

Steele PDB not arming (0 min 27 sec)

thx!
Aug 04, 2019, 11:55 AM
Do I have to connect the signal wires from the ESC to the FC (see pic below)? I thought the PDB cables took care of that, but now Im unsure.
https://i.imgur.com/23NmtKE.jpg
Aug 04, 2019, 03:39 PM
Quote:
Hey
Thanks for mentioning that. I have had this frame since launch and had to replace the top plate 3 times. My last order form your site shows it was the 1.5mm version. Guess that why it kept breaking, I'm out of replacement.
That why I was leaning towards something.
I have a Wolf PDB in a Chameleon (original version - not the Ti) and in the Helix. The Helix build is pretty awesome. I use the Wolf PDB along with Kiss V2 and Kiss 25A ESCs. You do need to replace the frame spacers to get this to work right - isolating the Kiss from the frame, but happy to share details if that's of interest. The helix went from a quad that I almost never flew, to one of my favorites with all the new electronics.
Aug 04, 2019, 03:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shil01
Do I have to connect the signal wires from the ESC to the FC (see pic below)? I thought the PDB cables took care of that, but now Im unsure.
https://i.imgur.com/23NmtKE.jpg
Trying to understand - how is the Steele PDB wired in? Is it just OSD for you? The Kiss 4in1 usually plugs straight into the Kiss FC, so none of the ESC wiring (power and signals) would be used. Also, if you are using the 6-pin cable between the 4in1 and the Kiss FC, note that it doesn't include the Vbatt line, so you will need to run another wire to power the FC. In my 4in1 install I used the solder pads on the ESC, and ran 7 wires to the FC - 6 into port 1, and the Vbatt into Port 2.
Aug 04, 2019, 11:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jones007
Trying to understand - how is the Steele PDB wired in? Is it just OSD for you? The Kiss 4in1 usually plugs straight into the Kiss FC, so none of the ESC wiring (power and signals) would be used. Also, if you are using the 6-pin cable between the 4in1 and the Kiss FC, note that it doesn't include the Vbatt line, so you will need to run another wire to power the FC. In my 4in1 install I used the solder pads on the ESC, and ran 7 wires to the FC - 6 into port 1, and the Vbatt into Port 2.
Thanks Jones, I wasnt really thinking it through. Yeah, since I wasnt using the PDB for signalling the motors the wiring didnt work. I took the 6 pin they gave me for the PDB and took it apart to use to connect the 6 pin connector on Port 1 on the FC to the 4 in 1 ESC. Now all is good.. And yeah, its just OSD for me really..I dont have VBAT going in, I guess in the future they will just make the 4 in 1 the PDB and we can save yet another board. So far Im loving the compact 4 in 1, with a modified slammed 4.5" its crammed in there. Time for some test flights!
Aug 12, 2019, 01:37 AM
Hi mate! I'm running Alien frame with KISS fc v2+ KISS 32a ESC+Steele PDB, and I found it's very useful to have a GPS on quad when doing mid range or long range flight. Right now there is a beta fw for KISS that allow telemetry and crossfire to get coordinates. So I'd like to know if there will be a fw update for Steele PDB that can read GPS message from KISS fc and display home direction or coordinates in the goggles.
Aug 13, 2019, 03:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljlzonda
Hi mate! I'm running Alien frame with KISS fc v2+ KISS 32a ESC+Steele PDB, and I found it's very useful to have a GPS on quad when doing mid range or long range flight. Right now there is a beta fw for KISS that allow telemetry and crossfire to get coordinates. So I'd like to know if there will be a fw update for Steele PDB that can read GPS message from KISS fc and display home direction or coordinates in the goggles.
My guess is that there will be no room on the OSD chip for the Steele PDB, but I might be wrong about that. Alternatively, you can get a TBS EVO and Alex Fedorov will release a new beta FW soon that allows you to use Ser3 on the V2 FC to send GPS data to the EVO.
Aug 17, 2019, 07:32 AM
Quote:
Hello all
Other than the Reverb, is there any recommended / compatible frame to use with the Wolf PDB?
Been breaking the Top Plate on the Reverb so looking to trying a different fame.

Thanks in advance
Works in the Hyperlite Glide and fits quite nicely.
Last edited by pavelmatic; Aug 17, 2019 at 07:41 AM.
Aug 18, 2019, 10:36 AM
Thanks man
May have to check that frame out.
Also waiting to see what the Apex have to offer
over the trusty Alien.
Aug 18, 2019, 11:58 AM
AKA Alex Wolf
Thread OP
08/22/2019 :d
Aug 18, 2019, 12:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by awolf78
08/22/2019 :d
Apex arrival time? That's exciting!
Aug 18, 2019, 11:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jones007
Apex arrival time? That's exciting!
What is Apex? (feeling dumb right now)
Aug 19, 2019, 12:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by awolf78
If you leave the camera disconnected and then plug in, can you see the OSD without the effect?
Not sure, I have not tried that. However I rewired the camera voltage input to the Tramp VTX cam voltage pin, and the issue went away completely. This confirms what I suspected, which is that the Steele PDB intermittently cuts off power to the cam -- or perhaps the step-down voltage regulator onboard the Steele PDB is malfunctioning.

Quick Reply