Rotorgeeks SSD F3 flight controller - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jan 01, 2017, 08:43 PM
The geek in Rotorgeeks
New Product

Rotorgeeks SSD F3 flight controller

Introducing the Rotorgeeks SSD Flight controller. A no-nonsense F3 based fc with best-in-class components, an intelligent layout and a great price.
  • full native dshot support (no feature sacrifice, supplemental code to remap resources, pin swapping or jumpers)
  • BLHeli passthru
  • SPI based MPU 6000 IMU
  • 2S - 6S direct battery connection
  • blackbox with MicroSD slot (SPI)
  • high current 5V supply (>=1.5A)
  • Low profile onboard IR leds to interface with IR based lap timing systems
  • satellite support for Spektrum users including 3.3V supply and binding functionality
  • 5 UARTs for add-on flexibility
UART list
1 - available
2 - SBUS/PPM/other serial receivers
3 - Telemetry / Spektrum satellite
4 - available
5 - IR LEDs

More info and availability at Rotorgeeks here
Manual available here
Last edited by dklein; Mar 26, 2017 at 09:36 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 01, 2017, 08:44 PM
The geek in Rotorgeeks
reserved
Jan 01, 2017, 11:35 PM
Looking good. The IR works with ILaps?
Jan 02, 2017, 12:41 AM
The geek in Rotorgeeks
The IR is a generic capability. Code still needs to be put in place. The original thought was that it would run with open source systems like EasyRace where people would also have access to code and systems on the receiving end.
Perhaps we should look at Ilaps integration?
Jan 02, 2017, 05:55 PM
Armattan Spy
Quote:
Originally Posted by dklein
The IR is a generic capability. Code still needs to be put in place. The original thought was that it would run with open source systems like EasyRace where people would also have access to code and systems on the receiving end.
Perhaps we should look at Ilaps integration?
I would think the majority of people who care about the transponder feature are needing it for ILAP or Track Mate, so yes. I would also say that I think the newer vTX tracking timing systems may be the future so it is unclear how useful this will be going forward.
Jan 07, 2017, 12:24 PM
What target files does it use for beta flight?
Jan 07, 2017, 04:35 PM
Team AlienWarpSquad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slats!
What target files does it use for beta flight?
Still a custom build (see their product page).
I asked them what build they are using and got this answer:
Quote:
Yes, it's a 3.1 build from Dec 22. We submitted our merge request but they asked us to do a few things first and the guy that does that work is on vacation.
So there will be an official Target soon.

I do have one of these FC's on the way (probably get it next week) to replace a Flip32 in my Minion220.
Last edited by waltr; Jan 07, 2017 at 08:41 PM.
Jan 08, 2017, 02:01 PM
Arrived yesterday, installed in shrike (replacing motolabs cyclone which was a pain to upgrade bf when running dshot)
Test flew today, if anything cleaner than the cyclone, bf3.1 8khz/4khz dshot600, love it.
Jan 08, 2017, 02:27 PM
Team AlienWarpSquad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheredanine
Arrived yesterday, installed in shrike (replacing motolabs cyclone which was a pain to upgrade bf when running dshot)
Test flew today, if anything cleaner than the cyclone, bf3.1 8khz/4khz dshot600, love it.
Nice.
FYI:
The Cyclone updates perfectly with the latest F3.1 RC's. Done the one in a quad ans a spare a few times now (each RC).
I do keep a Text File of the CLI diff and commands so it is an Easy Copy/Paste to remap Motor1.
Jan 10, 2017, 02:15 AM
Where do I hook up my buzzer positive? One of the Uarts?
Jan 10, 2017, 07:36 AM
Team AlienWarpSquad
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattFrancis
Got this FC yesterday and have the Same question while studying the pin-out diagrams. This should be in the Manual when it comes out.

But to answer the question.
The typical Beeper control pin is an Open-collect NPN transistor that grounds the Negative beeper pin when turned on. Therefore the beeper positive is simply connected to a positive power. 5V for a 5V beeper is most common.

I would like to see a +5V pin next to the beeper control pin so the beeper simply plugs onto a 2-pin right angle header.

There are also many header pins NOT defined in the diagrams. Hoping the Manual defines these.
Also, claims 5 UARTs but diagram does NOT show any UART numbers except for serial RX.
Jan 10, 2017, 11:33 AM
Is servo PWM out possible on one of the motor pins? I'm considering using a VTX with PWM selectable channels on a build with this FC.
Jan 10, 2017, 02:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltr
Got this FC yesterday and have the Same question while studying the pin-out diagrams. This should be in the Manual when it comes out.

But to answer the question.
The typical Beeper control pin is an Open-collect NPN transistor that grounds the Negative beeper pin when turned on. Therefore the beeper positive is simply connected to a positive power. 5V for a 5V beeper is most common.

I would like to see a +5V pin next to the beeper control pin so the beeper simply plugs onto a 2-pin right angle header.

There are also many header pins NOT defined in the diagrams. Hoping the Manual defines these.
Also, claims 5 UARTs but diagram does NOT show any UART numbers except for serial RX.
So you're saying the beeper ground is what determines when the beeper beeps? I ordered the 5v buzzer with this board. Just wondering how to hook it up.
Last edited by MattFrancis; Jan 11, 2017 at 12:49 AM.
Jan 10, 2017, 02:54 PM
Team AlienWarpSquad
Quote:
So you're saying the beeper grind is what determines when the beeper beeps? I ordered the 5v buzzer with this board. Just wondering how to hook it up.
Yes.
In almost ALL FCs going all the way back to MutliWii and Naze32, Beeper Positive to + power and beeper negative to Beeper control pin.
With a 5V beeper connect beeper positive to +5V.

What I am not seeing for this FC is two adjacent pins for the beeper connection, one to control (neg) and one to +5V regulator.
Looks like you need to run the beeper positive over to the center pins of motors 5 or 6 to get +5V.

Ok, Have low profile Right angle connector on one end of the FC. I leave one pin straight (Current sense input since I don't use this) and soldered a wire to the Motor 5, +5V pin to power the beeper. Photo attached shows this. Note Acrilic model paint in Red & Black to help prevent misconnecting LiPo and Devices.
X4R-SB RX and Beeper does work.
The connections on the Left from Top down are:
NC -Telemetry
NC- UART1-RX
Beeper-
Beeper+ (5V)
LiPo +
LiPo -
RX- Sbus
RX- +5
RX- gnd
Last edited by waltr; Jan 10, 2017 at 06:15 PM. Reason: Add photo
Jan 10, 2017, 09:42 PM
The geek in Rotorgeeks
Quote:
Beeper positive can come from one of the 5V sources (PWM5/6) or I like to run it direct to battery power. Makes for a loud beeper.
The ground is switched on the board as said above. The pin beside the buzzer is a UART, it won't make the buzzer buzz