Jan 04, 2017, 06:01 PM
Thermals the path to elevation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Burson
A wonderful concept, but field position and conditions, will make a difference, in flight strategy. As I remember, the close lanes, did not produce very successful scores, in fact the winner always used the most distant lane. This brings up the question,Jim will there be assigned lanes?
You'll need to explain this to me, since the landing surfaces were all identical. The conditions were all identical, and pilots could fly where ever they wished for 9+ minutes. I watched several of the top flyers walk out to the farthest lanes each round since they wanted space and a gap since there were extra lanes. I noticed Toby, Sky-man, Charlie, and Ali did this consistently. I walked out to the farthest lane each round I timed for someone. Since more top flyers walked out, flew better and won rounds, this does not correlate to poor conditions on close lanes.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 04, 2017, 06:09 PM
*Full Disclosure* Im a Gorilla
lane choice was more a function of having more room in the landing box more-so than flight strategy. Charlie, Skyler and I all had the same idea. Walk out further and we didnt have to deal with the soup come landing time
Jan 04, 2017, 06:29 PM
AZ Outback
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorCycle
You'll need to explain this to me, since the landing surfaces were all identical. The conditions were all identical, and pilots could fly where ever they wished for 9+ minutes. I watched several of the top flyers walk out to the farthest lanes each round since they wanted space and a gap since there were extra lanes. I noticed Toby, Sky-man, Charlie, and Ali did this consistently. I walked out to the farthest lane each round I timed for someone. Since more top flyers walked out, flew better and won rounds, this does not correlate to poor conditions on close lanes.
I think you forgot to mention the distance to two tree lines and their intersection, based on launching lanes. I agree with same landing surface, fly where ever, but not "they wanted space and a gap since there were extra lanes" to large of an assumption, but just my opinion.

If Jim assigns lanes then, we are just spinning our wheels.

My intent is not to review the Desert F5J which was an excellent event, but point out you will be required to move constantly between sidelines and launching positions, which seems to have been missed. In fact you will get a taste of F3J Worlds, as each team had to move 2 to 3 planes and equipment to make one flight for each pilot from a new launching lane, but with a lot more time because of the number of teams. 30 flyers on 10 lanes will be moving often, as you already know.
Last edited by Robert Burson; Jan 04, 2017 at 06:50 PM.
Jan 04, 2017, 06:34 PM
AZ Outback
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingGorilla83
lane choice was more a function of having more room in the landing box more-so than flight strategy. Charlie, Skyler and I all had the same idea. Walk out further and we didnt have to deal with the soup come landing time
Wondered why you were so close to the trees, looked like you were limiting your vision to the East if you got low, well if you ever did get low. ;-)
Jan 04, 2017, 06:51 PM
NorCal Electric Soaring (NES)
Thread OP
Guys, the process we're going to follow on the Tour is the same FAI process that has worked well for hundreds of events every year around the world. If CDs are seeing any kind of logjam they can easily increase the prep time interval (Phoenix settled in on 7min between rounds I believe).

It'll all work out.
Jan 04, 2017, 08:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Burson
Jim will there be assigned lanes?
Bob, I am not the CD, just the organizer. I leave those decisions to Chris and Lenny...

Jim
Jan 04, 2017, 10:18 PM
AZ Outback
Jim, I really understand, and bless Chris and Lenny... for taking this on, have been a CD and I completely understand all of the decisions are made to benefit as many pilots as possible, and I also think most of the pilots who really enjoy competing will, take any situation work with it. So random matrix or any other format works for them, I was just thinking outside the box, which always has some push back.
Jan 04, 2017, 10:27 PM
E sailplane thermal hack
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoaringDude
Guys, the process we're going to follow on the Tour is the same FAI process that has worked well for hundreds of events every year around the world. If CDs are seeing any kind of logjam they can easily increase the prep time interval (Phoenix settled in on 7min between rounds I believe).

It'll all work out.
Chris,,Sooo glad to see soooooo much interest here,, bodes well for your USA F5J tour.
I'm excited
Jan 05, 2017, 11:15 AM
NorCal Electric Soaring (NES)
Thread OP

New tour event posted-Big Sky F5J in Helena MT, Aug 18

A new Tour event has just been registered and posted in the calendar: Big Sky F5j in Helena MT on Fri Aug 18. This is the day before their 2-day ALES contest. They will be posting details as they become available.

Welcome aboard!
Chris
Jan 05, 2017, 02:03 PM
Gone Flyin'
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoaringDude
A new Tour event has just been registered and posted in the calendar: Big Sky F5j in Helena MT on Fri Aug 18. This is the day before their 2-day ALES contest. They will be posting details as they become available.

Welcome aboard!
Chris

Thanks for the welcome!
Our club is very excited to have been accepted to host an F5J event!

I'll get a thread started as soon as we hammer a few details out.

Rod.
Latest blog entry: Xplorer F5J
Jan 15, 2017, 11:13 PM
Sub and checking out the rules to see If my ALES qualify for these type of events.
Jan 15, 2017, 11:35 PM