Jan 03, 2017, 07:10 PM
Team Futaba
Add me to the no team Team!!
to remove ads between posts
Jan 03, 2017, 07:15 PM
Bob just threw a "what if" out there... I am not aware of anyone seriously considering teams...
Jim
Jan 03, 2017, 07:27 PM
*Full Disclosure* Im a Gorilla
sooooooo, are we doing a no fly-off format? Pretty sure Europe is still running flyoffs right?
Jan 03, 2017, 07:29 PM
NorCal Electric Soaring (NES)
Thread OP
The 2017 FAI rules allow the CD to choose whether to do flyoffs or not. And in the case of at least INTERTOUR they will be following that new rule same as us (USA Tour).

And re: teams we already have the F5J USA Tour rules and guidelines established for the year. We are following all FAI F5J rules with only 1 deviation of allowing motor restarts in exchange for a zero flight.

Chris
Jan 03, 2017, 07:34 PM
*Full Disclosure* Im a Gorilla
I just really like the dynamic that a flyoff creates given the strategy of F5J. Nobody is ever truely out of the game.
Last edited by FlyingGorilla83; Jan 03, 2017 at 09:16 PM. Reason: Reassured
Jan 04, 2017, 12:14 PM
E sailplane thermal hack
Yes Flying,, the Flyoff is AWSOME!!! I think it should be done in EVERY F5J comp!
I vote for that ;-)
Jan 04, 2017, 12:21 PM
Overkill is underrated
My 2 cents....
The flyoff held at the BAM last August was a lot of fun as I got to be a part of it (15 minutes!)
OTOH, being that the Tour is just getting its legs, I support each CD have the right to choose whether to have a flyoff or not. Let's see over the course of this season if there is any tendency to have or not have, flyoffs. And what the pilots' reactions to the flyoffs are when they are held.

And I support the deviation from FAI F5J rules to allow motor restarts in exchange for a zero for the round.

-Ed
Jan 04, 2017, 04:08 PM
Why make things different?? Yes, Europe has flyoffs, and the major appeal of F5J is that you do not need a bunch of equipment and a team. So it is much easier for people to get involved and far less intimidating than F3J.

I say stick to the rules as used in Europe. No teams, with flyoffs.
Jan 04, 2017, 04:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak79
Why make things different?? Yes, Europe has flyoffs, and the major appeal of F5J is that you do not need a bunch of equipment and a team. So it is much easier for people to get involved and far less intimidating than F3J.

I say stick to the rules as used in Europe. No teams, with flyoffs.
For the F5J Tour there will NOT be teams. PERIOD - we don't need to beat it up any more. As in Europe, the flyoffs are at the discretion of the organizer.

FYI for the F5J in Vegas event we expect to have flyoffs if the prelims get at least 8 rounds in. Otherwise everyone will continue flying.

Jim
Jan 04, 2017, 05:21 PM
AZ Outback
Sorry Jim the "what if" part was not understood. But once people walk out to the 10th launching lane, they may have a little better understanding of the hypothetical concept of teams vs walking mileage, which means some people had better start doing three or four mile walks a day to be in condition for F5J.
Jan 04, 2017, 05:31 PM
the icbm of pilots
but walking is good for you
Jan 04, 2017, 05:31 PM
Thermals the path to elevation
Robert - not the case if CD's make the simple announcement we did - keep the close lanes open for older pilots or those with a temporary condition. I had one pilot ask about this the week before, and they only ended up walking 50-60 feet for every round.
Jan 04, 2017, 05:33 PM
the kitty litter of rcgroups
This sounds awesome really looking forward to learning more!

Ryan
Last edited by rdwoebke; Jan 05, 2017 at 05:24 PM.
Jan 04, 2017, 05:42 PM
AZ Outback
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorCycle
Robert - not the case if CD's make the simple announcement we did - keep the close lanes open for older pilots or those with a temporary condition. I had one pilot ask about this the week before, and they only ended up walking 50-60 feet for every round.
A wonderful concept, but field position and conditions, will make a difference, in flight strategy. As I remember, the close lanes, did not produce very successful scores, in fact the winner always used the most distant lane. This brings up the question,Jim will there be assigned lanes?
Jan 04, 2017, 05:48 PM
AZ Outback
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylerraver
but walking is good for you
Absolutely agree, but it should not come as a surprise ;-) and I do remember where you usually launched from, and it was not a close lane.

Quick Reply