Thread Tools
Dec 07, 2017, 11:16 AM
Camber down and screw it up.
gdouglas's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by elac2az
Excellent job running the inaugural year, Chris! I’m looking forward to a great second year. Especially with the other coast kicking in some contests. Hmm...NC in April would be nice...

Ed
I wonder if NC in April would be as windy as the desert S. of Las Vegas in late April / Early May ?

--
Greg
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Dec 07, 2017, 11:26 AM
NorCal Electric Soaring (NES)
SoaringDude's Avatar
Thread OP
Vegas was a good learning experience for us all this year, eh Greg? We have to be prepared with a ballasted plane and enough motor power to move around in wind. I have vivid memories of lighter planes launching and climbing directly over the heads of some pilots i.e. not enough motor to push forward. I encountered the same wind during the flyoffs in Denver and to a lesser degree at Santa Margarita during the flyoffs. Wind happens!
Last edited by SoaringDude; Dec 07, 2017 at 01:06 PM. Reason: typo
Dec 07, 2017, 12:22 PM
E sailplane thermal hack
I think my 77oz Spectra with 9.5oz wingloading should fit the bill for a windy day plane? ;-)
Dec 07, 2017, 02:47 PM
NorCal Electric Soaring (NES)
SoaringDude's Avatar
Thread OP

Got Suggestions?


With year 1 of the F5J USA Tour under our belts it's a good time to reflect and evaluate. So to all the participating organizers and pilots in the 2017 season now is a great time to pass on your thoughts and suggestions. Any suggestions for the F5J website, calendar process, rules, pilot standings scoring, and CD guidelines? If you have not done so lately it may be worth your while to review the current Tour Rules and Guidelines on the Tour Info page.

The Tour's Advisory Group is currently busy with 2018 Team Selects planning as we prepare to forward recommendations to the AMA's F5 TS Committee. Our Jim Monaco did a great job managing that thread and poll.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Chris
Dec 07, 2017, 09:14 PM
NorCal Electric Soaring (NES)
SoaringDude's Avatar
Thread OP

New tour event posted-ESL F5J Tour-June 2 2018


A new F5J USA Tour event has been registered for the 2018 season and is posted in the F5J USA Tour calendar: June 2 at Birdsboro PA (2-day EAST event). The event is hosted by the Eastern Soaring League (ESL). CD for this event is Kerry Cochrell. This is the first year that ESL is hosting an F5J Tour event so welcome aboard gents! Event details coming.

So far we have 3 WEST and 4 EAST events in the calendar. More are on the way.

Chris
www.f5j-usa.com
Dec 07, 2017, 10:34 PM
Registered User
Gordysoar's Avatar

Suggestions for the Tour Website


Hi Chris,

I had dinner with Jim last night here in Louisville and we talked about the tour and the event in a lot of detail, (it was a very welcome break from being captive in the house recently with a killer head cold and the effects of my newest cancer treatment).

One thing that might help participants with their piloting skills heading into the F5J format or to reduce the intimidation factor for those newer pilots who might want to begin participating in F5J would be to remind them that the landing tape is a little longer than two new Crew Cab pickup trucks parked end to end.
(They can practice by envisioning landing at the grill of the front truck, but not like a bug.)

Or let them know that the landing circle is about equal in area to an actual 4 car garage (possibly a better analogy since mostly models are kept in garages).

Precision landing is a scary proposition for E-launch pilots all around the world, so knowing that they will have more room to land than our wives have room to park their pickup trucks at the house should reduce some of those fears.

Hopefully those tips will serve to reduce their amount of apprehension about the daunting F5J landing task and make F5J even more attractive.

Gordy
Last edited by Gordysoar; Dec 07, 2017 at 10:44 PM.
Dec 08, 2017, 01:44 AM
Overkill is underrated
elac2az's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdouglas
I wonder if NC in April would be as windy as the desert S. of Las Vegas in late April / Early May ?

Greg
Greg,
Have a look for yourself. And the average daily high temp in April is 62°.

Ed
Dec 12, 2017, 01:39 AM
E sailplane thermal hack
If any of you US F5J guys are interested in seeing what they do down under , this recent vid looks really good

F5J Competition November 2017 (16 min 43 sec)
Dec 12, 2017, 11:57 AM
Registered User
Yeah, Go Foam!!!

I still remember Harvey Cohen at last year's Polecat taking his group with his Radian. Still hanging while all the high-dollar models were already down.

It doesn't matter what you bring as long as you have a great time!!

Dave R.
Last edited by dreisinger; Dec 15, 2017 at 07:18 PM.
Dec 12, 2017, 12:01 PM
E sailplane thermal hack
So true dave
Dec 12, 2017, 01:02 PM
Registered User
Gordysoar's Avatar

Cable reels on ebay


Clubs can get those giant tow behind cable reels at a pretty good price to load up those landing tapes.

Is no one embarrassed that a “world class” event expects so little piloting skills from its participants?

At what point of the time it takes to roll that 40’ length does a guy get self conscious ?

40 FEET.

The length of two new crew cab pickup trucks parked end to end, more area than a FOUR car garage in the circle.

Watching F5j videos pilots are still missing the tape.

Looks like fun?

Begs the question: Why do E-launch pilots fear precision landing tasks so much that they would create a class that takes over one half hour just to roll up the tapes?

Does anyone know?

I’ll win or place at events as usual (if I make it to this next season) but I can’t believe I’m the only USA pilot wondering.
Gordy
Dec 12, 2017, 01:22 PM
Registered User
Rudix's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordysoar
Clubs can get those giant tow behind cable reels at a pretty good price to load up those landing tapes.

Is no one embarrassed that a “world class” event expects so little piloting skills from its participants?

At what point of the time it takes to roll that 40’ length does a guy get self conscious ?

40 FEET.

The length of two new crew cab pickup trucks parked end to end, more area than a FOUR car garage in the circle.

Watching F5j videos pilots are still missing the tape.

Looks like fun?

Begs the question: Why do E-launch pilots fear precision landing tasks so much that they would create a class that takes over one half hour just to roll up the tapes?

Does anyone know?

I’ll win or place at events as usual (if I make it to this next season) but I can’t believe I’m the only USA pilot wondering.
Gordy
Hmm, think it depends where and with whom you fly! In our local F5J league you need to be constantly within 2-3 sec of the task time and within 1m of the spot, and all of that from a launch lower than anyone else, as low as 10m sometimes, if you want to be really competitive.

In EU where they have been flying F5J for a while the standards are also high, I think there is a rude awakening coming for some at the first F5J WC's Maybe to much flying with skegs and varios?

Rudi
Dec 12, 2017, 01:28 PM
Registered User
Rudix's Avatar
BTW, if your landing measurement tape is 40 feet long it does not conform to the FAI F5J rules
Dec 12, 2017, 01:56 PM
NorCal Electric Soaring (NES)
SoaringDude's Avatar
Thread OP

Updated Top 10 Awards post


I just updated the Top 10 2017 Awards post here with a picture of #9 Tim Johnson. Nice flying this year Tim and thanks for the pic.
Dec 12, 2017, 07:46 PM
E sailplane thermal hack
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudix
Hmm, think it depends where and with whom you fly! In our local F5J league you need to be constantly within 2-3 sec of the task time and within 1m of the spot, and all of that from a launch lower than anyone else, as low as 10m sometimes, if you want to be really competitive.

In EU where they have been flying F5J for a while the standards are also high, I think there is a rude awakening coming for some at the first F5J WC's Maybe to much flying with skegs and varios?

Rudi
The launch heights here ARE getting lower,, but my guess is the AMERICANS WONT be as good as the Euros,, but that's Ok,, I think they know what they're in for. And as far as I know we DO use standard length F5J tape. Not sure about Gordy's two crew cab reference :-O


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools