Jan 01, 2017, 05:02 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Please help. I need to get flying. I'm so close

I am really inspired by the scratch builders I have seen on Youtube (particularly the dog fighting wings) and the fact these plans are available for free online. I have built two planes up but have yet to get them to fly!
I have built a FliteTest MiniArrow and acquired the necessary components (listed below) including a transmitter and receiver. I got the servos working but have been having difficulty with my motor jittering/stuttering and established that the esc probably needs reprogramming. Earlier I came across the programming card and saw on Youtube that this should be a helpful device for my esc troubles but can't find any info explaining where I need the red tabs to go for my setup. Any info would be gratefully received. I am desperate to get in the air!
Options available to me on the HobbyKing esc disc are as below

Timing - auto, 7/22, 22-30
Rotation - Normal, Reverse (my understanding this is not important as connection can be reversed)
Batt protect - 2.8v/50%, 3.0v/65%, 3.2v/65%
Protect type - Reduce, Stop
Brake - on, off
Start - Very soft, soft, start acc
Batt helic - Lipo (I know this one)

Motor and esc details below if they help

Motor:
Item name :2204 2300KV Brushless with 6045 3 Leaves Propellers
White resistance: ≤4mΩ
Speed: 2300KV 5%

Battery:
800mah
3s
20c
3cell 11.1v

ESC:
20A
BEC: 5v/3A
LIPO: 2-4s

Thanks for looking
Name: $_35.JPG
Views: 0
Size: 20.1 KB
Last edited by MrWings; Jan 01, 2017 at 05:02 PM. Reason: include more detail
to remove ads between posts
Jan 01, 2017, 06:58 PM
Goodbye
Try posting a new thread in the power systems section here:

https://www.rcgroups.com/power-systems-13/

I hope that you can get it going soon.

PS - In all the years that I have been flying electrics I have never had to program an ESC.
Jan 01, 2017, 07:13 PM
Jittering / stuttering is almost never the ESC programming.

The most likely cause is a bad solder joint in one of the motor or ESC bullet connectors, followed by a broken motor wire.

There's a thread about it that usually sits on the front page of power systems https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-before-asking

An advanced search on the words you used, selecting the Any Word and Search Titles only dropdown options under the search terms box will find dozens of threads https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/sear...g%20stuttering

Quickest diagnosis requires a spare motor and or ESC. Change the motor and if the problem remains, check the ESC bullet connectors. If the problem goes away, first check the bullet connectors on the original motor, then if they're OK check for continuity (near zero resistance) between motor phases using a multimeter.

In over 100 motors I've had one bad bullet solder joint out of the factory, one bad new motor I haven't bothered checking further as it was replaced immediately under warranty and one motor winding that failed after a year or 3.

I too rarely bother programming ESCs
Jan 01, 2017, 07:13 PM
turn, turn, turn.
Your issue is, one of your three wires from your ESC to your motor is loose.
Jan 01, 2017, 07:38 PM
The motor problem is likely a wire problem (as already posted), but I would try lowering the throttle trim on the TX first (could be as simple as that)
Last edited by Clive66; Jan 01, 2017 at 07:46 PM.
Jan 01, 2017, 08:04 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Ditto what others have said about one ( or more ) of the three wires going from the ESC to the motor having a bad connection . If you are using bullet connectors ; try de-soldering them , then re-soldering . And be sure to always insulate the connections . That's the best case scenario .

The worst case scenario is that one ( or more ) of the wires is broken where they go into the motor windings . Be careful when handling a new motor , you don't want to flex the wires much ( or at all ) at the motor entry point because they can quickly metal fatigue and break - especially on the smaller motors with thinner wires .

What is your second plane ? If you are a first time RC flyer who is unassisted by an experienced RC flyer , I recommend starting on a plane with a dihedral/polyhedral high wing - such as the FT Tiny Trainer . A flying wing will be faster flying and NOT self-righting - much more difficult for an unassisted first timer .

Let us know how it turns out , with video if possible !
Last edited by balsa or carbon; Jan 01, 2017 at 08:45 PM.

Quick Reply