Multiplex Evo 9 Upgrade - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Dec 31, 2016, 09:12 PM
Stick Hog
Discussion

Multiplex Evo 9 Upgrade

I've been out of the hobby for nearly 8 years. I have a much loved Evo 9 that I'm thinking I might upgrade to 2.4ghz.

I believe the firmware currently on it is 1.4

What are my options at this point, since it seems the transmitter now has minimal support?
to remove ads between posts
Jan 01, 2017, 01:00 AM
The only 2.4GHz system for the EVO that is legal for sale and use in the U.S. Is ours.

Our module supports v1.x through the latest v3.40 EVO firmware.
Jan 01, 2017, 02:38 AM
PGR
PGR
Low AltiDude
Update your EVO to v.3.40 and install one of Jim's modules in it and you can even get some telemetry back from his receivers (which show up on the EVO's screen). My slope radio for the last 10 years has been an EVO 9 with an XPS module in it, and it's worked perfectly. That EVO has now been relegated to backup status and I'm using an FrSky Horus now (with an XPS module plugged into it), but the EVO still works fine and I'll be hanging onto it.

Pete
Jan 01, 2017, 04:19 AM
Stick Hog
Extreme power looks like the best option for sure, that's why I'm here. I guess I need ideas on how to upgrade firmware from here? What's the recommended version? Any disadvantages to the newest versions? I see on the website that you're compatible with all of them. Can I go straight to my selected new version or are there intermediate steps I'll have to make?

What are the best 2.4 receiver options? I need some micro sized ones for some of the slope planes.

Thanks for the assist!
Jan 01, 2017, 09:27 AM
I have the Nano E (end plugs) in a Kunai, if that is of any help - lying flat.
Jan 01, 2017, 11:30 AM
PGR
PGR
Low AltiDude
I can't remember the firmware versions, but prior to a certain version it was necessary to send the EVO to Multiplex/Hitec to have it upgraded. But once it was upgraded to a version with a bootloader you could flash new firmware yourself.

I'd definitely update to the newest firmware which is essentially Royal Pro 9 firmware. Then there is a simple modification you can make to the TX hardware which allows bidirectional communication between the XPS module and the TX which opens the door to things like initiating the binding and range test modes via the front controls on the TX and some telemetry.

The EVO and an XPS module are an excellent combination. The only reason I retired mine is I wanted a single transmitter that I can fly or sail all my RC craft with and those craft include models with XPS, DSM2/DSMX, and FrSky receivers in them. If the EVO had a module port on the back like the Taranis and Horus do my EVO would still be my primary transmitter.

Pete
Jan 01, 2017, 12:32 PM
To upgrade your EVO to v3.40 you have to send your transmitter to Hitec. They will upgrade the firmware to v2.62, the last non-MLink compatible firmware. Once you get the transmitter back you would need to use Multiplex's USB/EVO cable to update the firmware to the latest version. Hitec won't upgrade beyond v2.62 because it requires the MLink module (which is not FCC approved) or our module. I don't know about the EVO 9, but when you upgrade from v2.x to v3.x with the EVO12 you get 16 channels instead of 12, so that's a big advantage. You also get telemetry data in the display.
Jan 01, 2017, 03:29 PM
PGR
PGR
Low AltiDude
FWIW, Doug, I sent my EVO 9 to the Hitec/Multiplex service center in Poway CA for the firmware update and I had it back in my hands 6 days later. Not only did they update the firmware, which is the only thing I asked for, but they also did a fairly comprehensive cleaning and maintenance. I also seem to recall that they did it all for free, but I think that was during some kind of upgrade deal with a time limit and that was something like 10 years ago.
Jan 01, 2017, 10:35 PM
I have two of the first Evo 9s imported into the US before Hitec bought Evo and both were upgraded to 2.4 with the first XPS Evo modules 10 years ago and have never given any problems. I later sent one to Hitec to be upgraded to v 2.62 and upgraded the XPS module to the latest version for telemetry. Maybe the two Evos will last until the new XPS Transmitter arrives.
Jan 02, 2017, 01:35 AM
Stick Hog
Some good and encouraging replies here, thanks! It sounds like a call to hitec is in order to see where I stand with firmware upgrades. Hopefully it's still supported. If so and once I make the decision on what to do there, I can go forward with some idea of what I'm doing. Sounds like firmware beyond 2.62 eliminates going back to 72mhz?

What are the advantages beyond 2.62?
Jan 02, 2017, 10:14 AM
PGR
PGR
Low AltiDude
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug_J
What are the advantages beyond 2.62?
As I wrote in a previous post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGR
I'd definitely update to the newest firmware [v.3.40] which is essentially Royal Pro 9 firmware. Then there is a simple modification you can make to the TX hardware which allows bidirectional communication between the XPS module and the TX which opens the door to things like initiating the binding and range test modes via the front controls on the TX and some telemetry.
Jim also explained it with a little more detail in this post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew
To upgrade your EVO to v3.40 you have to send your transmitter to Hitec. They will upgrade the firmware to v2.62, the last non-MLink compatible firmware. Once you get the transmitter back you would need to use Multiplex's USB/EVO cable to update the firmware to the latest version. Hitec won't upgrade beyond v2.62 because it requires the MLink module (which is not FCC approved) or our module. I don't know about the EVO 9, but when you upgrade from v2.x to v3.x with the EVO12 you get 16 channels instead of 12, so that's a big advantage. You also get telemetry data in the display.
Pete
Feb 06, 2017, 10:34 AM
Hi all,
I have exactly the same problem. My firmware version is 1.40. Please Doug keep updated this post, I want to know if you succceded. Thank you.
Feb 07, 2017, 08:23 AM
PGR
PGR
Low AltiDude
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristen69
Hi all,
I have exactly the same problem. My firmware version is 1.40. Please Doug keep updated this post, I want to know if you succceded. Thank you.
Firmware version 1.40 cannot be updated by an end user because the firmware doesn't include a bootloader. You will have to send the TX to Hitec/Multiplex and have them update it to at least version 2.62 which is the highest version with FCC approval here in the USA. But once an Evo has been updated to v.2.62 you can update the firmware yourself.

The info in your sidebar says you're 6500+ miles from me which suggests that you're not in the USA (Europe?), so maybe the Hitec/Multiplex service center on your continent can upgrade your TX to v.3.40 or newer which would save you the need to acquire the necessary cable and software to do it yourself.

Pete
Feb 07, 2017, 03:16 PM
Stick Hog
Other things have intruded on my time for this. All I have done is get a good battery back in there and call HiTech to verify they will service it. I need to follow through soon, just don't have this high on my priority list right now.
Feb 08, 2017, 03:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGR
Firmware version 1.40 cannot be updated by an end user because the firmware doesn't include a bootloader. You will have to send the TX to Hitec/Multiplex and have them update it to at least version 2.62 which is the highest version with FCC approval here in the USA. But once an Evo has been updated to v.2.62 you can update the firmware yourself.

The info in your sidebar says you're 6500+ miles from me which suggests that you're not in the USA (Europe?), so maybe the Hitec/Multiplex service center on your continent can upgrade your TX to v.3.40 or newer which would save you the need to acquire the necessary cable and software to do it yourself.

Pete
Thank you PGR for your answer. I am from Europe indeed but not to prolific in German language, I will try to contact the UK service as it was suggested into another post. Thank's again