Hostetler's 30% PA-28 "Cherokee" - RC Groups
Dec 31, 2016, 04:04 AM
Discussion

Hostetler's 30% PA-28 "Cherokee"

I've had the plans for this aircraft now for over a year and have now decided to dip my toes into the world of giant scale. Up until now the largest plane I've built was Sig's 4 Star 120. I've gathered all the information I think I'll need concerning the parts I'll need besides the laser cut kit; and am currently putting together my build manual. One of the things that I'm not sure of (okay, one of many) is the use of adhesives. On everything else I build I've used CA's with epoxy in necessary places. On a plane this large should I be thinking more along the line of using something like Titebond and lots of clamps and epoxy in more places?
to remove ads between posts
Dec 31, 2016, 07:52 AM
ARFs Are Me
I've built two Hostetler designs. Both were mainly constructed with CA. 30 minute epoxy, Titebond, and canopy glue were used in appropriate places.
Jan 01, 2017, 07:02 PM
Just finished a 1/5 scale TF Stinson and used mostly CA with (like Tom) Titebond and Epoxy in appropriate places...though later in the build I stopped using Epoxy due to discovering an allergy to the stuff. I've substituted Titebond in almost all applications requiring extra strength now with no problem...I also use Sigment at times for minor things where epoxy would be used (like bonding plywood to fiberglass on a cowl-ring). I love Epoxy, but when I use it I have to "suit up" in a respirator and gloves.
Jan 01, 2017, 08:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirzeppu
I love Epoxy, but when I use it I have to "suit up" in a respirator and gloves.
I hear yea , but I have problems with c/a's So I now have a 1500 cfm exhaust fan ducked up and out, that I use now with all of the fumes, acetone Mek , lacquer thinner and on and on and have found it has limited my sniffles, runny nose/eyes ets. at times I will even add a box fan pushing air in to the shop.

But that is just me , it has made life a lot easer.

Cheers Bob T
AMA13377
Jan 04, 2017, 08:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Thumb
I hear yea , but I have problems with c/a's So I now have a 1500 cfm exhaust fan ducked up and out, that I use now with all of the fumes, acetone Mek , lacquer thinner and on and on and have found it has limited my sniffles, runny nose/eyes ets. at times I will even add a box fan pushing air in to the shop.

But that is just me , it has made life a lot easer.

Cheers Bob T
AMA13377
Great idea. I may have to look into that for my workshop. CA bugs my eyes too.
Jan 05, 2017, 01:41 PM
I have been waiting for a thread about this model. I wonder how scale it is, and how it is constructed. Lots of pictures, please ;-)

Lars
Jan 05, 2017, 07:59 PM
Will do Lars.

After going to the PIPER site and getting some physical measurements of the full scale plane I did the math and have determined that the length is within a couple of inches being 30%. BUT...the wing span only comes out right at 25.6% And when you look at photos of the scale and the full size there seems to be a slight difference. I think the 30% scale was created from an older Cherokee 140.

As to the wingspan, I'm seriously considering adding 1 additional rib on both ends of the wing center section and at least 1 to each of the outer sections to make up part of the difference; which means I'll probably need to add in some extra support.

Anyone have any other suggestions? Please feel free to chime in.
Jan 06, 2017, 03:44 PM
The old 140 style is my favourite. Simple and functional.
From the pictures I have seen, the cowling doesn't look very good.

Lars
Jan 06, 2017, 09:05 PM

Cherokee

One thing I would do, it make scale doors that open to the cabin area to work on the radio gear. I cannot stand when somebody designs a scale model like the cherokee or bonanza and then makes a big cabin area hatch that comes off just to work on the radio gear. Unfortunately every cherokee that Ive seen as an arf has that.
Jan 07, 2017, 01:22 PM
Lars...I agree about the cowling, it's not quite the perfect match; it's somewhat flat nosed and the intake holes are square, but I can fill them in and cut new ones. And a longer more pointed spinner would help the look.
And as far as the removable hatch goes, if you're not going to finish off the cabin area I agree. However, my plan is to finish off the cabin with a section that unclips (probably the back seats area and beyond) to get to the rudder & elevator servos) and build in the luggage door to be able to deal with radio & battery issues.
Jan 07, 2017, 05:23 PM
I started a 3d model some years ago, when I was thinking of making plans for a 1/4 scale one. Too many projects came in the way..
The original type cowling can be made from just a molded front piece, because the sides don't have double curvature.
The later types Archer/ Arrow look like they have a fully molded fiberglass cowling.

The versions with the longer wingspan, also has a much longer stabilizer span.

Lars
Jan 07, 2017, 09:38 PM
Lars... I've Got to ask: Where did you find the Arrow/Cherokee schematic ? And are there more? Do you think that the length of the stab on the longer wingspan was due to the fact that it was a full flying stabilizer ? I seem to remember reading somewhere that it gave them some issues.

Clint
Jan 08, 2017, 02:15 AM
Sorry, that drawing is all I have. I think it came from the net, after a long Google picture search.
Regarding the larger stabilizer, I can only suspect that the later/heavier versions needed more margin for CG, and stability.
They all have the full flying tail, except Hostetler..

Lars
Jan 08, 2017, 04:48 PM
Lars...
Hostetler doesn't show any construction details about the stabalator, but does reference it on the drawings and gives links to where it can be shown and how to accomplish it.

On another note I found a Plane & Pilot review last night on the Piper site and it answered a question that's been bothering me. I keep looking at the full scale aircraft and Hostetler's plans and there just seemed to be a visual difference I couldn't put my finger on. And that difference was that they lengthen the tail section aft of the cabin by 5 -1/2" I was so glad it wasn't just my mind playing tricks on me.

Clint
Jan 09, 2017, 01:16 PM
So which dimensions are the Hostetler one based on?
This is where I got the Cherokee/Arrow drawing from:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...herokee-Archer
Nice scratch build!

Lars