Dec 30, 2016, 09:14 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

HK Mig 29 Glue and go

Looking for equipment recommendation for this model. What combo makes it perform the best.

Thanks

Johnny
to remove ads between posts
Jan 08, 2017, 09:08 AM

mig 29

Dont know for sure,but a Axi 1806 2100kv from hobby king running a 500ma 3s, 10amp esc, 4.75x4.75 prop/ or 5x3 works well on my scratch Eurofighter
Jan 08, 2017, 01:30 PM
Indoor Free Flight Modeler
Here is what I am flying in mine. Probably overkill on power. Flying on a 3S 1300 mah and getting 5 minutes. So could go with smaller ESC around 20-25 amp. prop is an APC 5.5 x 4.5 and I had to cut the prop slot in the fuselage a little wider for prop clearance. CG on the plans was too far back so I added some nose weight and now it is much happier. CG needs to be 10mm forward of recommended location. I added a photo with a different reference mark for CG location.

Don
Last edited by The Don; Jan 08, 2017 at 08:03 PM.
Jan 30, 2017, 03:04 PM
Youtube channel : solentlifeuk
Here's a video of my Mig 29 G&G ....

Dunno where people get idea of 1300 lipo's etc. !!

This baby needs a 2200 pushed forward to balance. I used a Hobby King (Mongoose) 2205 2350kv 470W motor with 5.5 x 5.5 race prop ... supplied ESC and servos / rods etc.

Mig 29 Glue and Go remaiden 30 Jan 2017 (10 min 17 sec)

Ignore the date in frame of video ... this was video made today 30 Jan 2017

Excellent flyer - but needs all the aileron movement she can get ... elevator is very sensitive and needs expo ...

Nigel
Jan 30, 2017, 04:43 PM
Indoor Free Flight Modeler
Looks like your having fun with yours :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by solentlife
Dunno where people get idea of 1300 lipo's etc. !!
Because I set it up for my "Jets" column in "Park Flyer" magazine so max speed allowable is 60mph on "park flyer" classification of models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solentlife
Excellent flyer - but needs all the aileron movement she can get ... elevator is very sensitive and needs expo ...
This is exaclty how mine is as well. Where was your final CG location?

Don
Jan 31, 2017, 03:26 AM
The CoG .... I haven't measured but when looking underneath at side of the fuselage box - there are the tongues from the fin showing next to the curved CF rod. My fingers balance her at those lugs ....
To balance with a 1300 ? I would need to out that battery way up forward on the nose section. The 2200 sits in designed spot with front hard to the vertical bar at front of the box.

I will post up some photos ...

Flight time on a 2200 is about 6 - 7 mins with aggressive throttling.

Nigel
Jan 31, 2017, 04:13 AM
OK here's some photos taken ....

Placement of the 2200 LiPo as far forward in the box as possible ...

Cocktail stick pointing at CoG position :

View inside box trying to show items :

Finally ... massive trim adjustment !! Trying to understand why because its opposite to torque expected ...

Hope this helps anyone.

But its a great flyer ...

Nigel
Jan 31, 2017, 01:07 PM
Mig 29 Glue and Go 31 Jan 2017 (16 min 20 sec)

Another great days flying ................

Nigel
Mar 20, 2017, 06:54 AM
Amazing once rudders and ailerons are added ....

Glue and Go Mig 29 Cirava 19 march 2017 A (6 min 25 sec)

Nigel
Jun 12, 2017, 11:21 AM
Hello Nigel,

can you show us some pictures from your rudder and aileron modification?

I think of converting mine to nose prop ...
I have a EMAX RS2205-S 2600KV and 5x4.5 on 4s2200mah = nice acceleration

Regards, George
Jun 12, 2017, 12:07 PM
Here you go ...

Ailerons only need that small section aft of CF and no extra servos ... connect so they move same as elevons.

Rudders :

Single servo and then rod link across ...

Make sure you cut away a small section of bottom of rudders to allow clearance with elevators etc.

The difference in flight capability is amazing for such small work. The model is now a virtually a 3D Jet fighter !!

As to moving the motor forward ... honest opinion ? I wouldn't. Its a rip-off from RC Powers prop slot Mig and that's how it flies.

With a decent 2200 or high kv on a 3S 2250 Rhino or Turnigy LiPo and a 5x5 or 6x6 prop - she'll carve the sky up more than enough ... She may need about 10 - 20grms just in front of the vertical stiffener the battery shunts up against.

Here's mine on saturday .... barrels of fun .....

HK Mig 29 Cirava 10 June 2017 compilation (12 min 42 sec)

First part is warming up for the days flying ... second part of video especially from about 8:30 onwards shows the incredible thrust variance you get with that prop being just in front of elevons. You will lose that if you put motor forward. The elevons literally become thrust vectoring and the rudders help you keep her in check. When I flew her as out of box elevons only - it was difficult to keep her high alpha as the nose kept falling of and no rudder to counter.

Nigel
Last edited by solentlife; Jun 12, 2017 at 12:21 PM.
Jun 12, 2017, 01:07 PM
Hi Nigel,
thank you for the pictures. Smart solution with only one servo more

I have a second one to try a nose prop. I hope to reduce the noise for the neighbors ...

Also will try your mods for rudders and ailerons

Regards, George

Btw: IMPORTANT: remove the paint on the glueing surface !
Jun 12, 2017, 01:25 PM
The main modification to do is the Rudders .... ailerons I think are not so necessary as the elevons are very effective.

OK - word of warning ! Watch out - do not have a lot of movement on the rudders ... they will pull that baby out of the sky if too much ... they really are effective.

I have about 15 deg usually and bags of expo, with full rate about 25 maybe ... but I don't use full !! I did once .... and picked her up out of the grass !

I traced mined onto Depron sheet so I could always knock up another quick if needed ....

I was skeptical when I first bought ... but I am really glad I did. Its been the cheapest fun ever. Even when it went for a swim ... couple days later after all dried out - she was back in the air again.

Nigel
Jun 12, 2017, 01:45 PM
Ok, so maybe one rudder could be enough?
Jun 13, 2017, 06:52 AM
Asymmetric ?

No go for the two ... I would !! Well I would wouldn't I...

Believe me ... do both rudders ..... have loads of expo on them .... and go have a ball in the air.

Nigel

Quick Reply