Apr 09, 2017, 10:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by McSkies
Thanks! Fast shipping and excellent service are what we strive for.
Swapped out the ELE servo today. No sweat! I was even able to salvage the decal/sticker. I'm not sure - but I wonder if the ELE was hitting the bottom of the rudder and that may have caused the gear strip. The amount of throw the rudder allows the ELE seems minimal to me. I cut away about 1/4" of the bottom of the rudder and slightly increased the rudder throw to compensate. Hope too fly again .. tomorrow or as soon as weather cooperates.
Latest blog entry: Old OpenTX and Taranis Videos
to remove ads between posts
Apr 09, 2017, 11:25 PM
Stupid Newbie
My Stratosurfer came in last week and I managed to maiden it today. It flew great out of the box with little trimming needed. Even handled the wind pretty well except for the last flight today when it came down hard while landing and the elevator cracked in half.

I should have all of my FPV gear in it by next weekend and will see if I can get a video.
Apr 10, 2017, 12:47 PM
A fellow flier at my club had his first FPV flight and landing with the Stratosurfer and did great! What a great FPV platform.
Jun 02, 2017, 09:53 AM
Hey gang what's the flying weight of this thing without fpv gear? inlcuding an avg. 3s 3200. I'm evaluating getting either one of these or a Bix3 as a trainer for my kids.
Jun 15, 2017, 11:19 PM

Maiden StratoSurfer June 10, 2017

Having flown Bixler V1.1 and Bixler 2 with flaps for years , with many modifications I wanted a ruggedly built plane for a beginner FPV plane of the same easy flying manners of this design. I wasn't disappointed with the Strix StratoSurfer. I purchased a PNP model and installed a Spekrum 6 ch receiver with satellite using a DX9 transmitter. Flew stock prop with HK Graphene 3000mah 4S battery in the nose, yes I know it was over propped but that is all I had! Windy conditions 10 to 20mph, so launched directly into the wind and it leaped into the air at 3/4 throttle. Trimmed out quickly and checked out stall and aerobatic characteristics with the 3 different rates I programmed, recommended throws aren't to bad for normal flying. Need more for windy conditions. A good plane for experienced novice on up but not a beginner. Good luck.
Jun 19, 2017, 02:17 PM
Mad Scientist Matt
Could you do the Fat Shark pan/tilt camera on this or would be too much weight?
Jun 20, 2017, 03:06 PM
I think it would be great for kids! Landings may take a while as it doesn't bleed off speed quickly (I don't use flaps) but if its a grassy area - no problem! They can just fly it into the ground and it'll stop quick fast wo/any fear of damage. Takeoffs MAY cause a problem. When the temps got in the high 90's and our density altitude pushed 8'000, it was hard to get it to launch until I added an up elevator switch for TO. Now its really easy.