The RMRC STRIX StratoSurfer - PNP - Page 5 - RC Groups
Mar 19, 2017, 07:45 AM
Alan Berg
Quote:
Originally Posted by zanderman111
Should be an M6
Thanks, I managed to figure this out once I got to the hardware store - It is indeed an M6. The nut I was sent with the kit was the problem, it wasn't tapped straight. Never had a nyloc like that before...
to remove ads between posts
Mar 21, 2017, 07:24 AM
anyone have any good flight videos to share? Its cold and rainy here and id love to see someone flying!
Mar 22, 2017, 11:12 AM

Flight Video

wrong forum sorry
Last edited by mikebabs; Mar 22, 2017 at 11:45 AM.
Mar 22, 2017, 11:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebabs
What does this video has to do with Strix Stratosurfer?
Mar 22, 2017, 11:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddragon76
What does this video has to do with Strix Stratosurfer?
Good catch....I deleted the vid....
Mar 28, 2017, 10:07 PM
Alan Berg
Quote:
Originally Posted by zanderman111
anyone have any good flight videos to share? Its cold and rainy here and id love to see someone flying!
This doesn't qualify as "good" flying by any means, but I finally got to maiden mine today. What a nice bird! It even handled today's choppy wind without any problem. This was my very first fixed-wing FPV experience. It's actually tempting me to get my technician's license and go for a little longer range.

Stratosurfer Maiden (21 min 42 sec)
Last edited by Whirlwind22; Mar 29, 2017 at 01:55 AM.
Mar 29, 2017, 08:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whirlwind22
This doesn't qualify as "good" flying by any means, but I finally got to maiden mine today. What a nice bird! It even handled today's choppy wind without any problem. This was my very first fixed-wing FPV experience. It's actually tempting me to get my technician's license and go for a little longer range.

https://youtu.be/YcgpUZH7Vl4
Nice landing for your first fixed wing FPV!
Mar 30, 2017, 06:18 AM
Alan Berg
Quote:
Originally Posted by McSkies
Nice landing for your first fixed wing FPV!
Thanks! Couple questions I'm not sure if they've been addressed already:

1.) Is it just me, or does the elevator seem to not have enough up-travel before hitting the rudder? I like to be able to "hold it off" (or "flare") as long as possible and I run out of elevator much sooner than I'm used to, it just seems to plop down as I run out of elevator. However now that I type this out I realize what I'm describing sounds more like a good full-stall landing. Perhaps it's just "done flying" sooner (faster) than I'm used to with my other foam models?

2.) Mine required a lot of aileron trim, enough that you can visually see they are deflected sitting on the ground. Nothing too extreme but it's about what my 1/4 scale gas cub with 30 year-old (warpped) wings needs. I didn't expect this one to need that kind of aileron trim? I did tape the leading edges of the wings to keep them from getting battered, which I'm sure affects it somewhat. Also I do have the flaps cut out and working, I'll check those to make sure they're equal at rest now that I think of it.
Mar 30, 2017, 08:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whirlwind22
Thanks! Couple questions I'm not sure if they've been addressed already:

1.) Is it just me, or does the elevator seem to not have enough up-travel before hitting the rudder? I like to be able to "hold it off" (or "flare") as long as possible and I run out of elevator much sooner than I'm used to, it just seems to plop down as I run out of elevator. However now that I type this out I realize what I'm describing sounds more like a good full-stall landing. Perhaps it's just "done flying" sooner (faster) than I'm used to with my other foam models?

2.) Mine required a lot of aileron trim, enough that you can visually see they are deflected sitting on the ground. Nothing too extreme but it's about what my 1/4 scale gas cub with 30 year-old (warpped) wings needs. I didn't expect this one to need that kind of aileron trim? I did tape the leading edges of the wings to keep them from getting battered, which I'm sure affects it somewhat. Also I do have the flaps cut out and working, I'll check those to make sure they're equal at rest now that I think of it.
1) I can almost do full aerobatics with my Stratosurfer, so it has plenty of travel in my mind. If you feel that you don't have enough up elevator, I'm willing to bet that you are nose heavy on your CG. Unlike the Alatus, the SS is pretty forgiving on CG, so feel free to experiment some.

2) Of the test units here, all seem to be trimmed fairly neutral. I'm not sure how yours would have gotten that out of shape. Can you see any warping by comparing it to a straight edge?
Mar 30, 2017, 09:11 AM
Alan Berg
Quote:
1) I can almost do full aerobatics with my Stratosurfer, so it has plenty of travel in my mind. If you feel that you don't have enough up elevator, I'm willing to bet that you are nose heavy on your CG. Unlike the Alatus, the SS is pretty forgiving on CG, so feel free to experiment some.

2) Of the test units here, all seem to be trimmed fairly neutral. I'm not sure how yours would have gotten that out of shape. Can you see any warping by comparing it to a straight edge?
1.) I'm definitely not an aerobatic RC pilot, (I get most my kicks from doing touch and go's with my gas cub) So I admittedly have little experience with even "sport" flying so this is likely 99% me and lack of ability. Later this spring I'll be sure to have our club's more experienced members test it out and give me their feedback - We have many very proficient 3D fliers in our club that would be happy to show how capable this bird is, I'm sure!

2.) The only thing I can see "out of shape" is the elevator, when eyeballing, seems to be not perfectly aligned to the wings. I do not notice any warping in the wings, although I've not gone through with a straight edge - Honestly if I can't see it with my own eye it's probably not worth worrying about. Therefor why did I worry about it here? I don't know...

Anyways, here's my belly take-off from a dead stop yesterday. I love how it takes forever... it actually feels full scale! =D

Copy of PICT0002 (1 min 38 sec)
Apr 02, 2017, 10:54 PM
Strix Stratosurfer FPV proximity flight (10 min 4 sec)

Proximity flight with 4S Stratosurfer, setup in the video description.
Apr 06, 2017, 02:39 AM

Finally Flew the Maiden - and a question.

I finally flew the maiden of my StratoSurfer yesterday. Equipped with 4500 mah 3s battery as far forward as it could go. Hand launch was uneventful, and the plane flew much as expected.....except. I found I had very limited up elevator. I switched to high rate elevator and could only get it to loop when I was at high throttle, and these were monstrous large slow loops. I just figured I'd make mechanical adjustment after landing and flew for about 10 minutes (LOS) over the Pacific Ocean surf on the Oregon coast. Landed on the beach and was surprised that from the balconies of the Hotel behind me came applause from quite a few rooms.

Upon landing I immediately checked the throw of the elevator and discovered the problem - apparently a stripped gear on the servo. When the elevator goes up very much it starts to flutter rapidly. Lowering the elevator or using down and the elevator did not flutter. Holy Cow -- I threw the plane directly toward the crashing waves of the surf - and flew it for about 10 minutes .. and had a wonky elevator servo!! I'm one lucky guy to have gotten the plane back in great shape. Well, that curtailed flying it for the remainder of the vacation, but at least I still have the plane.

So a question -- anybody know what's holding the servo in place?? What will I need to do to remove it from the foam without destroying the foam? I'm not looking forward to damaging the tail assembly.
Apr 06, 2017, 08:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott page
So a question -- anybody know what's holding the servo in place?? What will I need to do to remove it from the foam without destroying the foam? I'm not looking forward to damaging the tail assembly.
Sorry to hear about your servo troubles and we can certainly replace it for you. Its just glue holding it and it shouldn't be overly difficult to pop out. If you damage the tail while trying to pull the old one out, we can replace that too. If you are interested, please open up a support ticket on our website and we will get it taken care of.

https://support.readymaderc.com/
Apr 07, 2017, 11:31 PM
Quote:
Sorry to hear about your servo troubles and we can certainly replace it for you. Its just glue holding it and it shouldn't be overly difficult to pop out. If you damage the tail while trying to pull the old one out, we can replace that too. If you are interested, please open up a support ticket on our website and we will get it taken care of.

https://support.readymaderc.com/
Great to know you've got my back. I'll see how it turns out doing it myself and get back to ya if needed. BTW: I'm very impressed with the service from readymaderc - this StratoSurfer is my first experience dealing with ya'll.
Apr 08, 2017, 12:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott page
Great to know you've got my back. I'll see how it turns out doing it myself and get back to ya if needed. BTW: I'm very impressed with the service from readymaderc - this StratoSurfer is my first experience dealing with ya'll.
Thanks! Fast shipping and excellent service are what we strive for.