The RMRC STRIX StratoSurfer - PNP - Page 2 - RC Groups
Feb 01, 2017, 12:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusFPV
Is the motor mount 16x19 configuration?
Its for 22mm Stator Size motors
Correct, its the standard 16x19mm hole configuration.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 01, 2017, 12:45 PM
TBS Crossfire or DragonLink?
^
Thank you for checking....
Will your new COBRA 2217 (2300Kv) motor fit?
The stock motor is 2212 size, but I see on your NEW section (RMRC website) there is a new AIRPLANE 2217 2300Kv motor
Feb 01, 2017, 03:04 PM
Quote:
^
The stock motor is 2212 size, but I see on your NEW section (RMRC website) there is a new AIRPLANE 2217 2300Kv motor
That cobra is 16x19 as well. That should definitely add some power.
Feb 03, 2017, 09:00 AM
FLYING Better Than Drugs
OK I placed my order and now am setting here drumming my fingers waiting for my plane

Bob
Feb 06, 2017, 10:33 PM
Quote:
^
Quote:
Originally Posted by McSkies
That cobra is 16x19 as well. That should definitely add some power.
I was going to go for something else (NTM 2836 2200kv) but it is definitely overkill for this and may not fit, didn't check yet though. I do want enough power to carry some long range stuff and the Cobra 2217 sounds good. I got a 40amp ESC and some 4S 5000mah lipos already... so I think I'm good. Any thoughts on what might be a good prop for this motor on 4s? That reminds me, does anyone know the max prop size that can fit on this without mods? Thanks!

I want something small enough to throw in the car and go... and use to search for my lost plane that is currently covered with snow somewhere in Colorado!
Feb 07, 2017, 08:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by moseng
I was going to go for something else (NTM 2836 2200kv) but it is definitely overkill for this and may not fit, didn't check yet though. I do want enough power to carry some long range stuff and the Cobra 2217 sounds good. I got a 40amp ESC and some 4S 5000mah lipos already... so I think I'm good. Any thoughts on what might be a good prop for this motor on 4s? That reminds me, does anyone know the max prop size that can fit on this without mods? Thanks!

I want something small enough to throw in the car and go... and use to search for my lost plane that is currently covered with snow somewhere in Colorado!
The cobra 2217 2300 is what we use on the Alatus with a 6x4 prop and it is FAST! You might double check the amps first though. 6" is the largest that the Stratosurfer can take without mods.

I know what you mean. This still fits in the back seat of my Civic without removing anything.
Feb 07, 2017, 01:42 PM
Quote:
The cobra 2217 2300 is what we use on the Alatus with a 6x4 prop and it is FAST! You might double check the amps first though. 6" is the largest that the Stratosurfer can take without mods.

I know what you mean. This still fits in the back seat of my Civic without removing anything.
After some research (Google is good!) it looks like a 6" prop will be okay, but perhaps a 5.5. I will have to test which is more efficient for the flying I will be doing. I found a prop chart here -> http://innov8tivedesigns.com/images/...17-8_Specs.htm. I also saw that the specs on RMRC's site for the 2217 states 32 amps as max current, but the cobra site says 40amps? Maybe I'm missing something? Bottom line though is a 40amp ESC will not work... well! . It looks like at least a 50, or 60 amp to be safe. Thanks.
Feb 07, 2017, 04:13 PM
USA: LakeGeorge, New York
Quote:
After some research (Google is good!) it looks like a 6" prop will be okay, but perhaps a 5.5. I will have to test which is more efficient for the flying I will be doing. I found a prop chart here -> http://innov8tivedesigns.com/images/...17-8_Specs.htm. I also saw that the specs on RMRC's site for the 2217 states 32 amps as max current, but the cobra site says 40amps? Maybe I'm missing something? Bottom line though is a 40amp ESC will not work... well! . It looks like at least a 50, or 60 amp to be safe. Thanks.

moseng,
the COBRA charts are very very conservative,
you can over prop these to the 'red' and it will be fine!
.... I have on every COBRA motor I've owned!
Feb 07, 2017, 06:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rclab1
moseng,
the COBRA charts are very very conservative,
you can over prop these to the 'red' and it will be fine!
.... I have on every COBRA motor I've owned!
Thanks, good to know!
Feb 07, 2017, 07:18 PM
USA: LakeGeorge, New York
moseng,

Also I'm sure you are probably aware, your at much higher elevation
then the rest of us, so you'll probably need something much much stronger.
Let us know on your testings if the upgraded Cobra2217 (2300kv) and APCe 6" props
is sufficient enough....if so, then normal elevation folks like us are good to go!

p.s.
you are using 3s or 4s Lipo?
40amp ESC is sufficient for those flight Lipo!
Feb 07, 2017, 08:11 PM
I just ordered the StratoSurfer and motor. What I didn't notice is that the plane is still not in stock. Since it was announced on Dec 30th I'm hoping it's soon. Once they get here I'll let you know.

I'll be using some 5000mah 4s lipos I have already. Should provide decent flight times. I'm figuring 45-55+ minutes with the right prop and throttle control. I think a 40amp ESC should work but it's on the low side for this setup according to the motor specs (read my previous post here). I will likely go for a 50 or 60 amp ESC even though I have a 40 amp Turnigy Plush on hand just to be safe.
Feb 07, 2017, 09:28 PM
Quote:
I just ordered the StratoSurfer and motor. What I didn't notice is that the plane is still not in stock. Since it was announced on Dec 30th I'm hoping it's soon. Once they get here I'll let you know.
They are actually sitting here in Columbus, but have been stuck in customs for the last several days.
Feb 07, 2017, 09:39 PM
Quote:
They are actually sitting here in Columbus, but have been stuck in customs for the last several days.
Wow, good news... sort of! Shouldn't be too long now. Thanks!
Feb 08, 2017, 12:43 PM
FLYING Better Than Drugs
Woo Hoo my fingers are getting sore from drumming the desk waiting.

Bob
Feb 09, 2017, 06:08 PM

I'm very patient

Ordered mine on Jan20 and am a bit anxious to see what this will do. I'm going with stock PNP and definitely hope to FPV !! Cloud Surfer/Bixler is one of my favorite airframes. Very relaxing to cruise around with - but also fun and exciting when that's the mood of the day. When I've had a mishap and need to "get back in the saddle" this is the airframe I go to. Very predictable with a wide speed envelope. Definitely looking forward to it.

As for why a person would FPV rather than full scale. Simple for me. No way I could pass the physical for a pilots license. No way I'd want to be in a plane that does what I do to planes when I'm feeling aggressive. But I certainly enjoy the view.