Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
May 13, 2018, 12:45 PM
I use the multistar 5200 3s Lion's wo/any problems
to remove ads between posts
May 14, 2018, 09:59 AM
Team Futaba / Team RMRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by carter44444
Has anyone else tested the stratosurfer with li-on packs? I have been flying mine with a 10500mah 3s pack lately, getting about an hour and a half flight time.
What’s the weight of the battery?
May 14, 2018, 10:32 AM
KD2PBU - Fly No Evil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sukhoikid
~710g
May 14, 2018, 10:36 AM

LiIons

Quote:
Originally Posted by carter44444
Has anyone else tested the stratosurfer with li-on packs? I have been flying mine with a 10500mah 3s pack lately, getting about an hour and a half flight time.
Hi, I've used 3s2p 7000mAh and 4s2p 6200mAh. I definitely prefer the 4s pack and could fly for quite a long time. The 4s is 420 grams. 3s is okay but lacks the punch to get yourself out of trouble should you find yourself in some. I seem to be attracted to trouble.
May 14, 2018, 05:47 PM
FPV Potato
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sukhoikid
The LION weighs in at about 460g, as opposed to the 334g multistar 5200mah 3s LIPO I used to fly with.
May 14, 2018, 05:49 PM
FPV Potato
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurtz
Hi, I've used 3s2p 7000mAh and 4s2p 6200mAh. I definitely prefer the 4s pack and could fly for quite a long time. The 4s is 420 grams. 3s is okay but lacks the punch to get yourself out of trouble should you find yourself in some. I seem to be attracted to trouble.
Haha yea, the 3s Li-on does not exactly have a lot punch, really just for a steady cruise at 5-6 amps.
May 16, 2018, 01:32 PM
Fly'em like you Stole'em
Just got one and will begin building it today . Had a lot of issues finding a motor in that size with the right KV so I ordered the stock motor and got the flap kit for it too . I was thinking of replacing the clevis's . They seem kinda cheesy like they might break eventually . Has anyone had this issue with the pins breaking that go through the control horn ? I had the 3DHS Bigfoot and those were needed to be replaced .

I will have to look through this thread a little more . I was wondering what your setups are for 4s and the results of the setup . I was thinking of getting a ham license and a 50mhz module for my old 9c Futaba and go medium range on this for some desert flying
Last edited by MikeMcChiken; May 16, 2018 at 01:39 PM.
May 16, 2018, 01:46 PM
KG7TTQ - Las Vegas
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMcChiken
Just got one and will begin building it today . Had a lot of issues finding a motor in that size with the right KV so I ordered the stock motor and got the flap kit for it too . I was thinking of replacing the clevis's . They seem kinda cheesy like they might break eventually . Has anyone had this issue with the pins breaking that go through the control horn ? I had the 3DHS Bigfoot and those were needed to be replaced .

I will have to look through this thread a little more . I was wondering what your setups are for 4s and the results of the setup . I was thinking of getting a ham license and a 50mhz module for my old 9c Futaba and go medium range on this for some desert flying
Mine is on 4S and I fly the high desert It helps immensely to go to a larger prop.
Admittedly my build is a little extreme

http://www.itsqv.com/QVM/index.php?t...x_StratoSurfer
May 16, 2018, 02:15 PM
Quote:

Hi,

Good eye on the clevis concern. While I didn't have one break, one of my aileron clevis' disconnected in a longish-range flight. I was able to safely recover but since that incident I replaced all the clevis' with something high quality. I know most people 'lock' their clevis' with shrink tube or fuel line tubing but I went with something high quality and can be easily adjusted. I also needed to secure the control horns as well.

I fly 4s with a Cobra C-2217/8 2300kv with 6" apc prop. For me it allows efficient cruising but also plenty of power if needed. I can go vertical sustained without issue. I've also flown it with 3s and 4s LiIons which works pretty well, but 4s seems to be the sweet spot for me.

Enjoy!!!!

Todd
May 17, 2018, 10:02 AM
FPV Potato
Quote:

I have been flying 3s with the stock motor and propeller in the high desert, not exactly a lot of punch, but it has been working fine for me. The stock motor will be unhappy with a 6 inch prop and a 4s, so if you intend to run those two I suggest a new motor.
May 17, 2018, 10:25 AM
Does using a more powerful motor increase the pitching down moment with high throttle very much? I haven't flown mine yet and have a Sunnysky 2212-2450kV in it with a 6x3 prop, but happen to have a Racestar 2216 2000kV that I am not using and wonder if it might be a better choice. The Sunnysky is probably a higher quality motor. Either would be on 3S.
May 17, 2018, 10:45 AM
KG7TTQ - Las Vegas
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2builder
Does using a more powerful motor increase the pitching down moment with high throttle very much? I haven't flown mine yet and have a Sunnysky 2212-2450kV in it with a 6x3 prop, but happen to have a Racestar 2216 2000kV that I am not using and wonder if it might be a better choice. The Sunnysky is probably a higher quality motor. Either would be on 3S.
I'm using a Cobra 2217-1180 & 8x7 folder on 4S and in manual mode with full throttle applied, it pitches up slightly. Yes, I said "up"
Motor is at the same (as stock) thrust angle, just up a little higher.

Mark
May 17, 2018, 10:52 AM
Very interesting Mark. Up would be better than down. I think I'll swap motors.

I am working my way through pusher maidens. About ready for the Stratosurfer. I am using "your" bungee set up on everything and it works great. Simple set up, and great launches, wind or no wind.
May 17, 2018, 11:02 AM
KG7TTQ - Las Vegas
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2builder
Very interesting Mark. Up would be better than down. I think I'll swap motors.

I am working my way through pusher maidens. About ready for the Stratosurfer. I am using "your" bungee set up on everything and it works great. Simple set up, and great launches, wind or no wind.
Guess I should have added "Your results may vary"

Yea I love the bungee! 3 minutes to set up and 100% perfect launches is hard to beat. I even have a lightweight backpack version that works with my 512g Z84
May 17, 2018, 09:40 PM
Fly'em like you Stole'em
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_q
Mine is on 4S and I fly the high desert It helps immensely to go to a larger prop.
Admittedly my build is a little extreme

http://www.itsqv.com/QVM/index.php?t...x_StratoSurfer
Nice build . I saved the link for ideas . I make hips and knees for a living and am amazed at your ingenuity . Do you have a store where you sell parts or do you give access to your 3dprinter programs ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurtz
Hi,

Good eye on the clevis concern. While I didn't have one break, one of my aileron clevis' disconnected in a longish-range flight. I was able to safely recover but since that incident I replaced all the clevis' with something high quality. I know most people 'lock' their clevis' with shrink tube or fuel line tubing but I went with something high quality and can be easily adjusted. I also needed to secure the control horns as well.

I fly 4s with a Cobra C-2217/8 2300kv with 6" apc prop. For me it allows efficient cruising but also plenty of power if needed. I can go vertical sustained without issue. I've also flown it with 3s and 4s LiIons which works pretty well, but 4s seems to be the sweet spot for me.

Enjoy!!!!

Todd
I was looking at the cobra motors . They are one of the few that has that KV in the right size . Thanks I will probably use the tubing method . I have been using the square dubros for years . I like the metal retainer clips that snap on but that would be unnecessary weight on this bird . Sounds like I should get at least a 40 amp esc for room to grow .

Quick Reply