The RMRC STRIX StratoSurfer - PNP - RC Groups

The RMRC STRIX StratoSurfer - PNP

Here comes another potentially awesome FPV plane from the folks that make FPV awesome - ReadyMadeRC!

Splash

The StratoSurfer is based on the original dimensions of the Sky Surfer, but with tons of upgrades!

Have you ever see something that you didn't know existed 1 minute ago only to be immediately excited and know you had to have it? Well that's what just happened to me and the StratoSurfer! I picked the Surfer 1500 as my favorite plane of 2016 and now they have a new and improved version? WHAT?!! Let's find out about it:

Features

• The blow molded fuse offers tons of room for your accessories, all while being more durable than traditional foam fuselages.
  • High visibility orange makes it easy to spot in the sky to keep orientation.
  • The blow molded fuselage allows grass and snow take offs without landing gear!
  • The wings come pre molded for flaps.
  • The fuselage doesn't just allow for more room in the nose, it also opens up the tail (fit items as large as transmitters or a GPS unit though the body).
  • Huge control surfaces, almost double the size of the original!
  • To help eliminate flexing, the ailerons have been equipped with an additional CF spar.
  • The wing chord (width from leading to trailing edge) is about 20mm greater than the original (more lift for your components)!

Specs

• Wingspan: 1500mm, 59"
  • Length: 1000mm, 39"
  • Battery: 3300 - 8000 3s (Depending on other weight from cameras and equipment)
  • ​Foam: EPO
  • ​Max propeller size: 6"

PNP Includes

• StratoSurfer Wings and Fuselage
  • Installed 9g Servos (Except Flaps)
  • Installed 2212 2200Kv Motor
  • Installed 2-4s 30A ESC with 2A BEC and XT60 connector
  • ​Decal Sheet
  • Gemfan 6x4 APC Style Propeller

Recommended Equipment

• Battery: RMRC Orange Series 3300 3s
  • Servos: EMAX 9g Metal Gear or EMAX 9g for flaps
  • Camera: STRIX Ochi 650
  • Transmitter: RMRC Cricket 200mw & 600mw​
  • Model: STX-160036
  • Shipping Weight: 6.03
  • 0 Units in Stock

Photos

Learn More

Head over to ReadyMadeRC to learn more!

Jan 01, 2017, 09:21 PM
Hey, it's got that familiar look of a well behaved bird we all know. And a blow molded (I'm assuming plastic of some sort) fuselage just in case the pilot is not so well behaved! Looks like a winner!
Jan 01, 2017, 09:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by moseng
Hey, it's got that familiar look of a well behaved bird we all know. And a blow molded (I'm assuming plastic of some sort) fuselage just in case the pilot is not so well behaved! Looks like a winner!
Yes, its very well behaved.
Jan 02, 2017, 01:39 AM
TBS Crossfire or DragonLink?
Is the motor mount the usual 16mmx19mm screw mount format?
Can you check? I don't want to get a wrong motor!
Thanks
Jan 07, 2017, 10:35 AM
Hey Jim do all the new models have to be rigged for taking photos?? Whatever happened to coming out with a nice flyable plane ,that is just not a platform for taking photos ?? Just a nice plane to fly around at the field to enjoy on a lazy afternoon. I guess its a generational thing but I can't help thinking that if you are that interested in seeing what's going on with your plane then stop fooling around and go take full scale Lessons !! Guess I am just longing for the good old simpler days ..((
By the way ,I think you do a great job at RC Groups and really enjoyed your well written article
about your favorite planes for 2016. Many thanks for all you do for the hobby. All The Best
fdnyjery aka Jerry
Jan 07, 2017, 01:38 PM
Admin Deluxe
This would be a great aircraft to simply fly around. You could learn to fly on this bird, and do FPV in the future if you wanted...or simply fly it line of sight. It's all up to you. For guys like me that like this particular air frame for FPV it's the cat's meow. Thanks for reading my stories, I enjoy writing them!
Jan 07, 2017, 03:49 PM
UAV Integrations
Yes, all new models "have to be rigged to take photos".

Well, actually, all new models have to be FPV friendly. FPV is not taking photos, its flying models through a real-time wireless video link. There are very rarely any photos taken.

Why do I say all new models have to be FPV friendly? Because FPV is such a rapidly growing segment of the hobby that if you went through the time and expense of designing a new model without making it somewhat FPV friendly in some way, you would be missing out on a rapidly growing market.

All that being said, of course not ALL new models are released that are FPV friendly. Full 3D planes, for example, are still being released, with no provisions for FPV. Same for ducted fan, scale fighter jets (although people modify them for FPV with AWESOME results anyway!)
Jan 07, 2017, 07:11 PM
Are the included 9gram servos metal? or cheaply analog plastic?

Can someone confirm motor mounting hole configuration?
16x19mm? �� ��

Anyone?
Old Jan 08, 2017, 10:50 AM
FDNYJERY
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Trolling (Group attack). It is temporarily hidden while FDNYJERY edits it.
Jan 20, 2017, 02:03 PM
That flew sooo SLOW, a quad literally did circles
around it....lol.

Is there a "turbo" electric POWERpackage
that you guys experimented with?
Jan 31, 2017, 07:03 PM
FLYING Better Than Drugs
I'm getting so tired of this, just when I think I'm set and have all the planes I need (want) they make another one . and ofcorse it has to be one that also has a good airframe and looks like its going to be realy good for FPV. Guess I'll just have to add another to the list that of ones that I already have.

Bob
Feb 01, 2017, 08:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfish
I'm getting so tired of this, just when I think I'm set and have all the planes I need (want) they make another one . and ofcorse it has to be one that also has a good airframe and looks like its going to be realy good for FPV. Guess I'll just have to add another to the list that of ones that I already have.

Bob
I'm REALLY sorry about that.
Feb 01, 2017, 09:58 AM
Is the motor mount 16x19 configuration?
Its for 22mm Stator Size motors

Can someone check?
Thanks
Feb 01, 2017, 11:30 AM
FLYING Better Than Drugs
Quote:
Originally Posted by McSkies
I'm REALLY sorry about that.

Well I just hope you have enough of these coming to fill what is sure to be a large demand. I'm quite sure that this thread is going to grow because from what I can tell from reading through the manual and the few videos, this is going to be a great short to mid range FPV platform. I can hardly wait to see all of the different setups that every one will be using.

Bob