This thread is privately moderated by ronaldopn, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Dec 30, 2016, 08:15 AM
Ronaldo Nogueira
Thread OP
Mini-HowTo

Home made wing bags (sewing required)

If you know someone who has basic sewing skills here is a step by step guide to make a customized wing bag. Nothing fancy but very practical. If the person likes to sew it will be definitely a fun project
Wing bags are quite cheap so not really worth the hassle for most people. Since I have all the tools and materials in hand it takes me around 30min to make one so it is really convenient. Having the ability to customize size, add pockets, etc is really nice too. I have one like this for each of my planes.

What you'll need:
  • Sewing machine: I'm using my Singer 20U which I used a lot when I was doing parachute repairs. It is an industrial machine but any domestic sewing machine will do the job.
  • Fabric: I bought a synthetic leather type which has a soft cloth backing (suede). This fabric does not fray so you don't need to bother adding trim tape or sewing zig zag stitches at the edge of the seams which speeds up the job tremendously.
  • Thread: I use nylon thread size E which I have plenty (parachute repairs);
  • Velcro: as required, see the pictures
  • Nylon tape: For the handle, I use parachute webbing but that level of strength is obviously not necessary.
Ronaldo
Last edited by ronaldopn; Dec 30, 2016 at 10:00 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 30, 2016, 04:26 PM
Ron:
That was a great tutorial! Definitely something I need to make as I have a number of 100 -118" sailplane wings than need protection. Thanks for sharing!

Cheers!
Lyle
Dec 30, 2016, 04:45 PM
Ronaldo Nogueira
Thread OP
Thanks Lyle! Feel free to post your work here when you start making them.
Happy new year!
Ronaldo

Quick Reply