Dec 29, 2016, 02:48 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Top Flite P-40E Build

Last year this kit was donated to me at a swap and fly event because nobody else wanted to take it on. The kit was bought at an action from one of the members of our club. If it wasn't for the box i don't think it would be possible to identify what kind of plane it even was. I was the only one in the club willing to take it on. I have built a couple of carl goldberg cubs but never a model with this much going on. I am a college student on somewhat of a budget and could use a few tips from the guys with a bit more experience. So far i have cut out the cowl and fiber glassed it together. It was time consuming but looks great. I am in between glassing the model or covering it. I would like to glass it but i have never glassed a model before. I have experience with fiberglass just never covering an airplane with it. I \have an OS 91 FX for it however i don't want to cut up the cowl to get it to fit and cant justify a $80 wrap around muffler. I am leaning towards a DLE 20 or Evolution 20GX
to remove ads between posts
Dec 31, 2016, 08:13 AM
Ldm
Ldm
Ldm
Nice job so far !
A few things :
The engine , you may be able to angle it and still get the muffler in the cowl. I have only used 4 stroke engines in the past on this type plane but I have seen 2 strokes turned on angle so the muffler is less protruding if at all.

Google TOM Pierce FW190 . He has an elaborate website on his excellent build of an FW190.
On that site is a step by step process for a water based poly method of expoxy , very easy to follow and less expensive then the commercially sold systems.

Personally I would go back and add the flaps, this plane can be a handful and flaps will really tame ( help tame) the model. Its an easy mod if you take your time and mark the location and cut out the sheeting etc .
On another note this plane has some issues with wing washout when built in stock form. I think at this stage its too late to go back and add washout but you can move both alerons slightly up to help with washout.

Last note, I am not the one to give advice on gas engines so I am sure others will chime in. I just picked up my first DLE35 RA , in the process I heard a ton of comments of how great gas engine can be but ,,,,,,, the smaller ones like the 20 can be very finicky , so just a heads up , could be urban legend but its the feedback I received.
Last edited by Ldm; Dec 31, 2016 at 08:20 AM.
Dec 31, 2016, 02:47 PM
Thread OP
Ldm thanks for the advice. You have an outstanding fleet of aircraft by the way. After a tough decision of nitro 4 stroke vs 20cc gas i picked up a dle 20ra because i know it would fit in the cowl. I am going to have to check out that water based poly and will probably go that route.
Dec 31, 2016, 06:10 PM
Ldm
Ldm
Ldm
Thanks buddy, good luck and hopefully the info on the DLE 20 is urban legend lol , tons of that in the RC community.
Keep positing, love to see this plane take shape, its a classic kit and worth the effort.
Dec 31, 2016, 07:07 PM
Scale Builder
I have a DLE 20 in one of my Hellcats and know several other guys flying them and they have an outstanding reputation around here. Mine was purchased second hand and has been trouble free so far.
Jan 01, 2017, 01:58 AM
Thread OP
Good to hear. More pictures coming tomorrow. Happy new years to everyone out there
Jan 02, 2017, 06:35 PM
Pro Hoarder
Chad Viech...not sure how to spell his name
Latest blog entry: In flight
Jan 02, 2017, 09:11 PM
Ldm
Ldm
Ldm
Lol if you want to cheat on the spelling of Chads name look at post #5 too funny
Nice work Boss !
Jan 02, 2017, 09:14 PM
Thread OP
Lol thats awesome. You almost had it
Jan 02, 2017, 10:55 PM
Pro Hoarder
That's funny...
Latest blog entry: In flight
Jan 02, 2017, 11:38 PM
Scale Builder
Well, it is pronounced with a long "E", as in "Veech", so in all actuality it should be spelled ""ie" instead of "ei". As it is most people mis- pronounce it "Vike" when they see it spelled out. Either way thanks for thinking of me guys!

[email protected]

Jan 02, 2017, 11:48 PM
Scale Builder
PS - I have flown two .60 size TF P-40's and have a third one on the bench right now. They fly great but are challenging on the ground. I don't think that you will regret adding the flaps as they are a great benefit on landing. Despite its reputation I did not find the airplane to be any more "snappy" than most similar size warbirds and was actually quite happy with how well it slowed down.

Flying top cover for a B-17.

Jan 03, 2017, 03:34 AM
Ldm
Ldm
Ldm
Wow those Flaps are simply too nice to paint , as thing of beauty!
Chad did you have issues with the washout or make adjustments ?
Jan 04, 2017, 04:07 AM
Scale Builder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldm
Chad did you have issues with the washout or make adjustments ?
I did not do the basic construction on any of the three TF P-40's I have had Lou. They have all been purchased already built with me only having to do some of the finish work. I assume they were all built pretty much box stock in regards to the wash out.

Quick Reply