Jul 28, 2017, 05:31 AM
Yes, that pic is nice
to remove ads between posts
Aug 04, 2017, 03:20 AM
Thread OP
Some new pictures:
Aug 05, 2017, 04:44 AM
The lens has been calibrated, exposure lock is working, the blacks are properly black and a few other improvements

There is some extra info on the subtitles if you turn them on.

Gitup G3 Duo Action Camera - Kestor Dartmoor (2 min 13 sec)
Aug 05, 2017, 05:57 AM
Thread OP
Love those Dartmoor clapperbidges; cool you got the sheep pass over that one

Gyro seems to work fine, but image gets rather grey-ish when filming towards the rater dark sky at 1:02. Seems to be contrast loss too then
Last edited by Pixelpeter; Aug 05, 2017 at 06:04 AM.
Aug 05, 2017, 06:11 AM
Nigel, is it possible you take the original video file anywhere for download ? Iīm not happy with the playback, itīs very stuttering even after full caching, takes half a second after every 3 seconds to re-buffer. I hate that YT-crap meanwhile, itīs a loss of details thought it dont need to if they wouldnt "optimize" compression everey few moments....
Aug 05, 2017, 06:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixelpeter
Love those Dartmoor clapperbidges; cool you got the sheep pass over that one

Gyro seems to work fine, but image gets rather grey-ish when filming towards the rater dark sky at 1:02. Seems to be contrast loss too then
At 1:02 the exposure lock was on and I turned up the gamma in the editor so that the water wasn't very black (as explained on the subtitles), not too surprising that there is a loss of colour/contrast, I was actually surprised that it could see detail in the water at an exposure set while looking towards the sun.

We have some proper sunshine today, between showers, and tomorrow should be nice, so should have some bright colourful video soon...
Aug 05, 2017, 06:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaDi-RC.de
Nigel, is it possible you take the original video file anywhere for download ? Iīm not happy with the playback, itīs very stuttering even after full caching, takes half a second after every 3 seconds to re-buffer. I hate that YT-crap meanwhile, itīs a loss of details thought it dont need to if they wouldnt "optimize" compression everey few moments....
You could download the video and then watch it from your computer, that will solve the caching issue, eg use: http://www.atube.me/

I will upload a short raw sample straight from the camera somewhere next time. Although Gitup haven't finished developing it, it will improve further yet.
Aug 06, 2017, 03:01 AM
We have some sunshine

Trying out the Gitup G3 Zoom function, note that it is all handheld using the gyro stabilisation and it is rather too windy for audio, except the microphone did OK anyway, as did the lens when looking directly into the sun - see any lens reflections?

Gitup G3 Action Camera: Zoom Test - Kites (0 min 23 sec)

Some unedited frame grabs so that you can see the original quality:

Aug 06, 2017, 03:28 AM
Thread OP
Are those pictures from widest setting (no zoom) to max zoom?

Indeed this looks good into to sun: no flare
Aug 06, 2017, 04:01 AM
Quote:
Are those pictures from widest setting (no zoom) to max zoom?

Indeed this looks good into to sun: no flare
Not sure about the last two but I think so, the video goes through all the steps and the first two frames grabs are the min and max zoom. I think max zoom is greater than the sensor resolution so there should be some loss in quality, I haven't actually counted the pixels to check though. Currently you need to go into the menu to change zoom level, a nice smooth in and out on the remote control so that you can do it without shaking the camera would be nice, not expecting to get that any time soon though.

Note that this lens is not the final lens so the lack of flare may not be so good in the production cameras, or maybe better, but at least we know that the sensor and lens holder don't cause reflection problems.
Aug 06, 2017, 04:10 AM
Image is fine, except overshapning, which should be fixed until release. Good audio quality as well.
Thanks for sharing samples.
Aug 06, 2017, 04:35 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel_
Not sure about the last two but I think so, the video goes through all the steps and the first two frames grabs are the min and max zoom. I think max zoom is greater than the sensor resolution so there should be some loss in quality, I haven't actually counted the pixels to check though. Currently you need to go into the menu to change zoom level, a nice smooth in and out on the remote control so that you can do it without shaking the camera would be nice, not expecting to get that any time soon though.

Note that this lens is not the final lens so the lack of flare may not be so good in the production cameras, or maybe better, but at least we know that the sensor and lens holder don't cause reflection problems.
I for one wouldn't mind if they would dial the 'zoom' back so it doesn't create quality loss, but I guess people always want 'more'

Pretty sure GitUp will choose a nice lens; they've done so this far Overal fisheye lenses tend to be rather forgiving when it comes to flare and such.
Aug 06, 2017, 04:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebird_PL
Image is fine, except overshapning, which should be fixed until release. Good audio quality as well.
Thanks for sharing samples.
It's a Novatek processor, they insist on putting a thick white line along high contrast edges, Amberella is much better for sharpening but they can't do zoom + gyro simultaneously!

I did have it on medium sharpening rather than low, but for posting an original sample without some extra sharpening from my computer I think medium is best. Low still has the white line along the horizon.

I was surprised the microphone picked up that background music so well, I wasn't very close to it, I was expecting a lot of wind noise. The sound is all from the last video segment if you were wondering why there was no cut in it! I will post some video of the musicians soon so you can better judge the sound quality.
Aug 08, 2017, 03:50 AM
Thread OP
More official info regarding the G3 on the GitUp website:

http://www.gitup.com/home/76-gitup-g...o-packing.html

Pricing: $129.99 for the Pro Packing, which doesn't even make it more expensive than the GIT2. Kudos GitUp!

There will be 2 different cases too: a waterproof one and a skeleton one.
Aug 08, 2017, 06:20 AM
Quote:
More official info regarding the G3 on the GitUp website:

http://www.gitup.com/home/76-gitup-g...o-packing.html

Pricing: $129.99 for the Pro Packing, which doesn't even make it more expensive than the GIT2. Kudos GitUp!

There will be 2 different cases too: a waterproof one and a skeleton one.
Does that include the slave camera?

Even without the slave it would be remarkable value for a camera that is probably better than a GoPro!
(Unless you really want 4K 30fps resolution or need it waterproof without using the case.)

I'm enjoying mine:
(Frame grabs, edited)

Quick Reply