Dec 23, 2016, 07:22 PM
Discussion

Bump Controller killed my computer

So I just tried to connect my bump controller to my computer via USB to update the firmware while the bump controller was already powered by a power supply. When I plugged in the usb to my computer it sparked and shutdown my computer and bump controller. Now neither my computer or bump controller will turn on. I did read in the manual that the USB will power the controller by itself, but there was no warnings on connecting the USB while the controller was already powered by external power supply. I'm pretty sure that now my Motherboard has failed in my computer and the Bump Controller's ARM chip along with some other parts has fried.

Any explanation on what went wrong would be appreciated.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 23, 2016, 08:05 PM
Unregistered User
I looked at the instructions Steveo.

No where did it warn you can't have it powered up prior to connecting the BC to the computer.

The manual didn't make mention of using a FUIM3 optical interface either:

http://www.store.revolectrix.com/Pro...-version/FUIM3

Looking at the FUIM3 description it says, quote:

This high speed, opto-isolated, PC USB interface module is designed to provide safe, 2-way communication between Revolectrix products and a PC USB port. For use with free PC software, supports firmware updates, and PC compatible GUI software for Revolectrix Chargers and Battery Management Systems, Co-Pilot II Flight Stabilization systems and other products.

Reading that paragraph, it suggests you need to have the FUIM3 interface so you don't end up with damage to either device.

It's possible the power for the BC has gone through to the USB port of your computer without the interface for isolation.

The problem is, you have to know about the existence of the FUIM3 interface.

This should have been in the BC manual.
Last edited by vimy g eaou; Dec 23, 2016 at 08:26 PM.
Dec 23, 2016, 08:52 PM
I am aware of the existence of the interface, the bump controller has a USB port,so it does not require this. I do own the interface for my dual powerlab.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dec 23, 2016, 09:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsteveo243x View Post
So I just tried to connect my bump controller to my computer via USB to update the firmware while the bump controller was already powered by a power supply. When I plugged in the usb to my computer it sparked and shutdown my computer and bump controller. Now neither my computer or bump controller will turn on. I did read in the manual that the USB will power the controller by itself, but there was no warnings on connecting the USB while the controller was already powered by external power supply. I'm pretty sure that now my Motherboard has failed in my computer and the Bump Controller's ARM chip along with some other parts has fried.

Any explanation on what went wrong would be appreciated.
That really sucks.
No logical explanation besides unexpected hardware failure.

Having the Bump powered via DC when plugging in USB is completely supported - I do this constantly during development and testing
The internal circuitry automatically disconnects power to the USB port whenever DC power is applied. The USB power pins are also protected by 500mA poly fuses for an extra layer of protection.

What kind of power supply are you using ?
Dec 23, 2016, 11:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevoKelly View Post
That really sucks.
No logical explanation besides unexpected hardware failure.

Having the Bump powered via DC when plugging in USB is completely supported - I do this constantly during development and testing
The internal circuitry automatically disconnects power to the USB port whenever DC power is applied. The USB power pins are also protected by 500mA poly fuses for an extra layer of protection.

What kind of power supply are you using ?
I sent you a private message Kelly, but to answer your question I am running 4 Server supplies in series to get 48-50volts. All was good until i used the USB port.
Dec 27, 2016, 10:18 AM
Unregistered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsteveo243x View Post
I sent you a private message Kelly, but to answer your question I am running 4 Server supplies in series to get 48-50volts. All was good until i used the USB port.
Up 'til now, I haven't updated mine, I've just used it as it came and I hadn't read the entire manual regarding firmware updates (tch tch tch on my part). My setup is much lower at 24VDC, as I use two single PL8 chargers. I had intended to wire two FUIM3 isolators, permanently into the charging station, one for each charger. Now, I'll experiment with making an adaptor using a USB plug and a JR line socket and see if this works as a level of protection for the computer.