Baron 1914 - RC Groups
Dec 23, 2016, 01:14 PM
Build Log

Baron 1914

The Baron 1914 is a classic three-channel French kit dating from the 1970s. It has probably taught many more Frenchmen how to fly R/C than any other model. With a wingspan of 1550mm (61") and a length of 1100mm (43.5") it looks vaguely like a Fokker Eindekker or Morane Saulnier Type N but with enlarged tail surfaces. Indeed, the fin and rudder look totally out of proportion to me and I may well reduce their size or at least change their shape.

Having retired to rural France in 2015 and joined a little local club with about 20 members in it, I've found that we have at least six Barons in the club either in flying condition or under construction. One is an electric powered ARTF finished in translucent red, another is red a la Richtofen, a third is an extremely "well-flown model" covered in repair patches of whatever coloured film happened to be available at the time, two others are in a French airforce camouflage scheme, and the other one, still in the course of construction will be covered in orange translucent film! We plan to have an open day in the summer and a mass flight of Barons is planned.

The kit cost a very reasonable 80 delivered and came in a plain cardboard box, 1 metre long, complete with a set of Iron Crosses!

I'm starting on the wings with mine. This is unusual for me as I usually start with the fuselage, then the wings and finally the tail surfaces. However, I plan to do a fair bit of "bashing" to this kit including reducing the dihedral and fitting ailerons. The piece of cheap plywood within the wing structure will retain an aileron servo. I had to open up the slots in the wing rib to accommodate the spars but otherwise the build has bee straight forward. I have also modified the wing tip by building it flat rather than under-cambered as shown on the plan. You may call mine the "Mark 2 Baron!"

I haven't decided how to finish my model except that I will finish it in an RAF scheme, either Tone Bayetto's WW1 Morane or a spoof inter-wars scheme, silver dope and geometric patterns between the roundels. What do you guys think would be the best option? I'll give the German crosses to one of my colleagues for his model!
to remove ads between posts
Dec 23, 2016, 08:48 PM
Mumbling in the corner.
I will be watching this build! Just something about WWI monoplanes I truly find interesting.
Dec 23, 2016, 11:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy2610
I will be watching this build! Just something about WWI monoplanes I truly find interesting.
Same here, this should be interesting.
Dec 24, 2016, 12:40 AM
Er... this is an extremely semi-scale model gentlemen. I hope you won't be too disappointed! Link to the ARTF version attached. Mine will be a bit more scale-like!

Merry Christmas and a Happy and Prosperous New Year to you!

http://www.topmodel.fr/en/product-de...ron-61-arf-red
Dec 24, 2016, 05:02 AM
UAS Pilot - FAA# *******HRK
I thought this plane looked familiar. I found this plan for the "Vicomte 1915", I guess kitted by Svenson, that basically looks like the same thing.

http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=5077

Mike
Dec 24, 2016, 06:48 AM
Yes I think it's the same model produced under licence by Svenson. I believe they offered a parasol wing version too.
Dec 24, 2016, 10:11 AM
Mumbling in the corner.
Semi scale like the Elder 40, my next build.
Dec 24, 2016, 05:50 PM
Semi scale WW1 monoplane, like my next design. Even better.
Dec 29, 2016, 12:05 AM
I built my first model aeroplane, a Keil Kraft Ajax, about 57 years ago. Since then I've built thirty or more models from kits, plans and plan-packs as well as rescuing lame dogs and other people's unfinished projects. However, the Baron 1914 is the first model I've ever built where only one wing-half is shown on the plan. Nowadays you can take the plan to Office World and have a mirror image printed but traditionally we smeared the underside of the plan with paraffin and hey presto, you've got the other wing-half.

That's exactly what I did this afternoon using white spirit. It smells a bit but does the job. Pictures show the port wing under construction. The slots in the wing ribs are an extremely tight fit on the spars. To speed things up I have used cyano glue to build the wing which is a first for me.
Dec 31, 2016, 01:34 AM
Having decided to reduce the dihedral I had to make up two new plywood dihedral braces; these are shown below the original brace supplied with the kit. Except for the joint with the wing rib at the end of the brace, I have decided not to cut slots in the brace to produce a housing(?) joint as per the original kit, but to simply butt-join the centre section ribs to the dihedral braces using slow-setting epoxy. If I add gussets to the joint, bearing in mind that the centre section is fully sheeted, I feel sure that be strong enough.

To increase the glueing area I filled the space between two main hardwood spars with scrap balsa.

The wing ribs in the centre section are arranged in four pairs which I have glued together using aliphatic glue.

Having glued the dihedral braces to the starboard wing half and having allowed the slow setting epoxy to dry all day, the two wing panels were then clamped together while the epoxy set overnight. The space between the braces was then filled with scrap 4mm (3/16" )balsa. This has resulted in a dihedral of about 2.2cms or a little under an inch, under each wing tip. Is everybody else's building board as untidy as mine?

I am leaning towards finishing the model in a WW1 Russian scheme and using the original overly large fin and rudder supplied with the kit. I quite fancy a skull and cross bones on the back!
Dec 31, 2016, 02:14 AM
paddockus unyeildapus
I see a WHOLE lot of scope there......slight mod of the tail, REAL warping and a passable E3 is born......or a Morane....Pfalz E.1-E.IV....or with some added foam around the fuse...possibly a Bristol M1 even.....lovely base you have there. I have Windsock Datafiles for all above if you want copies.
Jan 08, 2017, 04:33 PM
the origin of the baron is here : http://lebarondechristianchauzit.blo.../p/page-2.html

and the "coupe des barons" here : https://www.google.fr/webhp?sourceid...barons&tbm=vid
Jan 09, 2017, 01:13 AM
Thank you Ron. Very interesting.
Jan 10, 2017, 03:23 AM
Picture of the wing joined together and removed from the building board, awaiting centre section sheeting, cutting out of ailerons and further diagonals. The wing in the bag is from a 6ft, (180cms) Telemaster 40.

Tail surfaces pinned to plan waiting for the glue to dry. One day I'll buy a full set of modelling pins but I was always brought up to be cautious with money so until my stock of dressmaker's pins is exhausted I'll use a hammer to drive them into the building board and a pair of pliers to remove them! .
Jan 11, 2017, 01:09 PM
nice work, you are lucky , it is complicated to find a kit today, i've got an old one named briot. i've just finished the wing too.