Dec 23, 2016, 10:56 AM
RCTugger
Thread OP
Discussion

Zipp Springer and Scratch Salty

Well with all the fantastic info and ideas I have gotten from RCG forums and really outstanding builders on here, I just wanted to share my last two completions. The Zippy Springer is slightly modified, I cut 3/4" off the bottom to have a flat bottom to set on and also less displacement (ballast). There are a couple of other small mods, added a sealed flotation compartment fwd, hide a few wires to clean things up, etc. Robbe 3:1 geared motor on 2S with 1 3/4", 3 blade prop running 3S.

The Salty is from the plans on line. A really cute tug. Mario's buddy is Captain. It is mostly per plans but does have the fwd flotation compartment. This past year our club lost a Salty and an Alantic tug to Davey Jones cuz they did not think floatation was worth bothering with. We, Treasure Coast Rc Boaters, have several recovery Tugs with FPV that works well as long as they are still bow-bobbing. I am working on a Clyde "Puffett" top to add to the Salty. Graupner 600FG 3:1 for power with 4 blade 2" prop for the Salty.
Last edited by rctugger; Dec 23, 2016 at 11:08 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 23, 2016, 11:06 AM
Most anything RC
Great detailing on the Zippkits. What did you use for the exhaust shield?
Dec 23, 2016, 11:10 AM
RCTugger
Thread OP
It's a hair brush that had the twisted wire holding the brissles inside the tube. I have a thread here someplace on doing it.
Dec 23, 2016, 11:12 AM
RCTugger
Thread OP
You can't beat the price, wood quality, and wood fit on those ZippKitts.
Dec 24, 2016, 09:11 AM
Most anything RC
Thanks woodybob.
Dec 24, 2016, 11:52 AM
RCTugger
Thread OP
Appreciate your looking that up for me WoodyBob.

Happy Holidays one and all!!!
Dec 24, 2016, 04:57 PM
Rctugger, your Zipp tug is awesome. Happy Holidays

Bill
Dec 24, 2016, 07:38 PM
RCTugger
Thread OP
Thanks Bill. All my inspiration comes from copying stuff I see here on RCG.
Dec 27, 2016, 08:38 PM
Card Carrying Old Fart
Nice work rctugger. I am getting ready to start on a twin Tugster. Two mods I have planned are on the drive. I have two of the red U-joints like yours. I also don't want to use the oiler tube system. I want some room around the shaft for space to use some Proboat grease with bearings on both ends. Looks like you soldered in a bushing into the end of your stuffing tube. Any info you could share would be appreciated.

Rick
Dec 27, 2016, 09:35 PM
RCTugger
Thread OP
Rick, what I do is make my own stuffing tubes Because it is hard to find the thick wall brass tubing anymore, I start with the size that just fits the oilite bearings. I think it's #132 tubing. The bearings I fix in the end with medium CA cuz its hard to get the solder to hold to the oilite bearing. Then that tube fits into the #133 tube and is silver soldered in to give double wall thickness for strength. A couple of other guys in the club are doing the twin. Really good quality for the money. I don't do oil tubes any more, they just get in the way; just grease it good and check it once a year.
Dec 27, 2016, 09:42 PM
Card Carrying Old Fart
Quote:
Originally Posted by rctugger
Rick, what I do is make my own stuffing tubes Because it is hard to find the thick wall brass tubing anymore, I start with the size that just fits the oilite bearings. I think it's #132 tubing. The bearings I fix in the end with medium CA cuz its hard to get the solder to hold to the oilite bearing. Then that tube fits into the #133 tube and is silver soldered in to give double wall thickness for strength. A couple of other guys in the club are doing the twin. Really good quality for the money. I don't do oil tubes any more, they just get in the way; just grease it good and check it once a year.
My first boat was a Dumas Osprey that had a mid oilite bearing and two end flange oilite bearings. I would like to make my own stuffing tubes also. My current issue is finding the smaller oilite bearings, particularly 1/8" ID ones. Any source info would be appreciated.
Dec 27, 2016, 11:31 PM
RCTugger
Thread OP
1/8 are out there but tough to find. and when you did find them they are very costly. Now I only use the 3/16ths . Tower Hobby, Omni hobby, and dumas sell them the 3/16ths, they are much stronger, easy to get, and cheap so that is all I use.
Dave
Dec 27, 2016, 11:40 PM
RCTugger
Thread OP
Also Rick, Harbor models still sells one setup in 1/8th. shaft,stuffing tube with bearing all set up for $15.00. I think that MACK Marine may have a 1/8th setup too.
Dec 28, 2016, 06:39 AM
Card Carrying Old Fart
Quote:
Originally Posted by rctugger
1/8 are out there but tough to find. and when you did find them they are very costly. Now I only use the 3/16ths . Tower Hobby, Omni hobby, and dumas sell them the 3/16ths, they are much stronger, easy to get, and cheap so that is all I use.
Dave
Bingo, I found some. I did a search and found the mgfr. of Oilite bearings Beemer Precision, Inc. and they had a dealer locator. They showed only two being McMaster Carr and Motion Industries. I had already checked MC and weeks ago they showed the 1/8 but at $12 a piece while showing larger ones for under $1. I checked Motion Industries and they had the 1/8" ID flange bearings for a about $6 for a bag of 10. I ordered the 1/8" and 3/16".

Thanks for the help Dave. BTW, Louigi in the Salty is a nice touch. I may have to look at the Salty plans.

Oh, another question. The Dumas Osprey had a mid stuffing tube oilite bearing probably because the tube was pretty long for a 1/8" shaft. Is there any rule of thumb for when a stuffing tube needs a mid bearing? I think in real boats when a shaft needs an intermediate support it is called a "whip" strut. 40 years ago I had to add one to a houseboat when I replaced an 8' x 1.5" cold rolled shaft with a stainless one. The stainless shaft would really start whipping and vibrating at 1500 rpm.
Last edited by Rickochet; Dec 28, 2016 at 07:04 AM. Reason: Question added

Quick Reply