This thread is privately moderated by Pappyjkns, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Dec 23, 2016, 09:45 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

R/C Diary Pt. 35 “Wanderer 99”

Dec 23/16:

My how time flies! A whole month has flown by since my last post! In our club of 40 or so pilots, we are lucky to have members with diverse backgrounds and experience. Some members like to build, others seem more intent on just flying. Even though I’m older than dirt, I am still learning a lot about the r/c world of flying. It’s kinda weird to be learning to fly and build this late in the game but non-the-less I’m enjoying every minute of it.

We have some members who are getting on in years and have been building since they were “knee high to a grasshopper!” I like to call them “Master Builders”. Recently one of our members brought in two planes; a Spirit 100 & a Wanderer 99. They had been built by another long time member of our club. He was selling as he was moving into long term care and was forced to sell off all his r/c planes. A sad day for sure!

I already had just purchased a Spirit 100 so I quickly snapped up the Wanderer for $80 Cdn. Once again, a beautifully built plane coming in about 8 ozs lighter than the Spirit which weighed 54 ozs.

The Wanderer 99 kitted by Dynaflite & designed by Mark Smith in the late 70’s is a classic rudder & elevator design that was quite competitive in its day.

I installed my Futaba 3008SB receiver, and a four cell NiMH battery pack that I had just charged up. It didn't take too long before I had adjusted the trim, checked the cog and set up the failsafe settings. This is another simple two channel rig like the Spirt with no spoilers in those long slender wings!

I realized the flying season is rapidly drawing to a close but last week I managed to find some reasonable flying conditions. I headed to the field and proceeded to install the wings and go through the check list.

I was feeling quite nervous having crashed my beloved Spirit 100 into the hard Halidmand clay only a week ago. The wind was gaining strength and gusting around 10 mph. The sky was starting to fill in with grey backlit clouds. To make matters worse, the wind was coming in from the south west which meant my plane would be releasing right into the low hanging sun. None of this was building up my confidence to say the least!

I performed a number of hand launches and was impressed how the big bird just floated straight as an arrow without any input from me. In fact as the wind picked up, it just sort of hovered like some large hawk and I had to dial in some down elevator in order to get it back down to good old terra firma! Phew! That got the adrenaline flowing!

Call me a wimp but I decided to err on the side of caution and packed up the plane so that I may be able to take it out under more favourable conditions. I’ve uploaded a couple of pixs for you to check out.

I just took an inventory of the planes in my shop and was amazed that I now own eleven planes of which three are kits waiting to be completed. Out of this eleven planes only one is presently flyable!! How sad is that? It looks like I’ve got my work cut out for me over the winter!

Thank you to the members who have taken time out to read my drivel and post comments. It sure makes one feel part of a much larger r/c world!

Merry Christmas to all and here’s to a healthy & prosperous New Year!

Cheers!
Lyle
to remove ads between posts
Dec 27, 2016, 03:26 PM
Wishing I was at Torrey Pines
That's a great-looking glider. Very sharp! Bet it's gonna thermal like nobody's business too.

Andy
Dec 29, 2016, 10:07 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dee-grose
That's a great-looking glider. Very sharp! Bet it's gonna thermal like nobody's business too.

Andy
Thanks a bunch Andy for taking the time to post! Now its the waiting game......our sod farm flying field won't be ready for action again until mid May/17!

Cheers!
Lyle
Dec 29, 2016, 11:52 PM
Wishing I was at Torrey Pines
I've got a pristine (only flown a time or two) Wanderer 2M that I'd offer to you, but shipping to Canada with the one-piece wing would be way too costly. I bet you're gonna have a ball with your 99. How are you planning to launch it?

Andy
Dec 30, 2016, 04:19 PM
Thread OP
Andy:
Yeah....too bad we weren't closer.....another member just gave me an extra Spirit 2M wing! I thought it was for the 100" wing but when I got it home, I noticed it was for the smaller wing! So now I have to pick up a fuse or build one. I plan to launch the Wanderer 99 with my heavy duty hi-start that is good enough to launch a 3 M. I will be launching with about 12-15 lbs pull.

Happy New Years to you & yours!

Lyle
Dec 28, 2018, 08:54 AM
Thread OP
Just a quick update! I flew this plane a lot during the 2018 flying season. I entered a number of contests with it and it never ceases to amaze me each time I launch it.....I've caught some lovely boomers with it and basically had a ball flying it. The last time out, in September, I managed to come around in my landing circuit but there was a strong cross wind. As I completed my 90 degree turn off of my downwind leg, it just suddenly stopped! I managed to land in the lower branches of a very tall tree! Doh! We did get it down with minimal damage and it continues to be one of my best flyers.

Cheers!
Lyle

Quick Reply