Dec 23, 2016, 05:54 AM
loyalline
Thread OP
Question

JR 9303 2.4GHz Helicopter Transmitter with JR DSM9-LCD DISPLAY

Dear All,

I have a JR 9303 2.4GHz Helicopter Transmitter with JR DSM9 2.4 radio. The LCD is blacked out, cannot read the text. Kindly let me know if i can get a spare part (LCD display). The radio is in INDIA. When i contacted JR Americas, they are not selling spares. Kindly let me know the alternative mode to get a replacement LCD screen. Appreciate your inputs and guidance. [email protected]
Thanks and Regards
Rajesh N
to remove ads between posts
Dec 23, 2016, 10:36 AM
Sagitta Fanboy
Contact Horizon Hobby, who services JR radios from the DSM and earlier era's.
Dec 23, 2016, 11:42 AM
Try MacGregor in the UK
Dec 23, 2016, 02:37 PM
Before shipping the transmitter off to be repaired, check the contrast adjustment. If it is too dark or too light, you will be unable to read the screen. Since you can't read the screen, hopefully your transmitter works like mine and the transmitter starts up on the DISP CONT adjustment option and not the LIST option in the INFO window. Turn on the transmitter and push down on the roller selector before rotating it. Rotate the selector to the left to lighten the screen.

On the off chance that your transmitter starts up on the LIST option and the above didn't work, rotate the selector one click before pushing down. On my transmitter if you are starting up without pushing one of the buttons on the left side of the screen or holding down the selector while turning on the power switch, there are only two options, the LIST menu and the CONT DISP.

Allan
Dec 23, 2016, 03:37 PM
IIRC this transmitter has a small coin cell to retain the settings. They are good for about 5 years. If the lithium coin cell has failed and lost the factory settings this would explain the black screen.

TX would need to be returned to a JR service center for replacement of the battery and re calibration of the TX.

If your TX has not lost the calibration but the battery is low then it is possible to change the coin cell yourself but you need to have electronics soldering skills or know someone that can do it for you and knows the procedure to protect the existing memory.

If you have lost the calibration and JR return is not possible it is possible to do your own re-calibrate after battery replacement. You will need to post here for more help
Dec 24, 2016, 01:40 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh P
They are good for about 5 years.
5 years only ? if that were true the repair service would have been receiving back hundreds of radios every day.
Dec 24, 2016, 01:47 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
No coin battery in the 9303.

Earlier JR like 8103 had it, 9303 does not.

Do what Allen said, turn on tx, press the scroll button, then try moving it to adjust the contrast.
Dec 24, 2016, 01:57 PM
The 9303 does not have a coin cell battery! It has flash. The older JR radios did have a coin cell to retain the memory when the main battery was removed. IT lasted a lot longer than 5 years if the main battery was kept charged. I just replaced the coin cell in a few of my 15 year old 347's last summer. They still work fine. I use my 9303 most of the time though. I really like the programming on that radio. Easy to use and it has plenty of model memories.
Dec 24, 2016, 05:00 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere
IT lasted a lot longer than 5 years if the main battery was kept charged.
so the flash memory gets energy from the main battery (regardless TX is either ON or OFF) and only sucks from coin cell when you take the main battery out ???
Dec 24, 2016, 07:29 PM
S.A.D. member
Quote:
Originally Posted by reverse
so the flash memory gets energy from the main battery (regardless TX is either ON or OFF) and only sucks from coin cell when you take the main battery out ???
You are confusing the 9303 and older JR trannies.

The 9303 has FLASH memory which does not need battery backup to retain data.

8103 and older use NVRAM which needs battery backup. The coin cell maintains the NVRAM contents when the tranny is off. When the transmitter is turned on, the main battery charges a cap and also powers the NVRAM. When you turn off the tranny the cap will power the NVRAM for up to a couple of days or so before the cap voltage drops below the backup battery voltage.

If you use the transmitter every day the backup battery may last 10+ years. If the transmitter is not used at all JR guarantees the backup battery for up to 5 years but in practice it will last longer than that.

Ivan
Dec 24, 2016, 10:57 PM
Suspended Account
OK. ivanc

so it has nothing to do whether the main battery is charged or not as stated by Volt Ampere.
Dec 24, 2016, 11:05 PM
S.A.D. member
Not for the 9303.
Dec 24, 2016, 11:26 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanc
If the transmitter is not used at all JR guarantees the backup battery for up to 5 years but in practice it will last longer than that.
this is what I mean. if the Tx is always turned off it doesn't matter whether the main battery is fully charged because NVRAM don't get energy from it.
Dec 25, 2016, 12:11 AM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
The main board on the 9303 can be corrupted. It seems to have something to do with turning on the radio when the battery is very low.
So never turn on the radio if you are not sure the battery is charged.

The first symptom is that you will start to see odd characters in the model names. You should stop using it at this point and send it for repair.
If you keep using it eventually it will hang and stop working completely, and repair will be more expensive (they have to replace the main board)
Feb 28, 2017, 05:07 PM
Hello loyalline
Did you fix that problem?
I got one from my Uncle, he just sent me last week.
When turn On, the LCD just had 3 or 4 lines. Nothing to read.
Have anyone know what happen?
Thank you so much

Quick Reply