Guardian Advanced what do you want to see? - Page 5 - RC Groups
Feb 02, 2017, 02:56 AM
because rust never sleeps....
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnET
Thanks for all the feedback guys, keep them coming!

A couple of clarifications/notes;

- This will be for fixed wing only.
- There will be significant difference between the Vector and Guardian line. The Vector has a lot more features than just an OSD. It is a full fledged FPV controller. Although the Guardian can be used for FPV, by the time you add all the additional items to try to match a Vector, you will be way over in cost and there will some integrated feature you still will not have.

Regards, John
The prospect of Guardian Pro / Vector / MicroVector is making it difficult to differentiate between products and difficult to match a product to an application.

Could you please outline the differences between the new proposed Guardian and the Vector (besides OSD) ?
to remove ads between posts
Feb 02, 2017, 11:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom T
My friend printed2 of these for me.
The first one came out perfectly. I like it very much, I think I'll have a few more made.

The second was printed sort of backwards.
The lettering is reversed, and the slots for the RX in connector, and servo connectors are reversed.
Any idea how this happened, and how to prevent it?
Feb 02, 2017, 11:32 PM
Rick
This is not official but based on what's been said plus a liberal dose of speculation it seems to be shaping up like this:
Last edited by choochoo22; Feb 03, 2017 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Updated feature table
Feb 03, 2017, 01:41 AM
The hard case will be a great improvement, with that in mind it would also be great to have the USB connector in a vertical plane rather than the existing horizontal, I find it a problem on most installations trying to install the USB cable (big fingers, small fuse opening) a vertical connector will make things much easier.

I hope ET will also provide an extended Guardian/Rx interconnecting wiring harness as with the current Guardian.
Feb 03, 2017, 04:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by choochoo22
This is not official but based on what's been said plus a liberal dose of speculation it seems to be shaping up like this:
Thanks, that's very helpful.

There is an awful lot of overlap.
Feb 03, 2017, 04:52 AM
Rick
Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoRogers
Thanks, that's very helpful.

There is an awful lot of overlap.
It would seem so just glancing at the chart but there is more to it. I just tried to hit the main points for the audience mainly interested in the Advanced. There are more differences between the Micro and Vector that wouldn't be much interest to this audience, like camera features and BL-Heli support. Muddying the water a little is that the Micro may be a subset of the Vector but it's also newer and has some features the Vector doesn't.

For the sport flyer audience there are big differences between the Guardian vs. the Advanced. And between the Advanced vs. the Micro the multirotor support, the OSD, and the telemetry that goes with the OSD are also big differences. I probably should have put in the chart that the Guardian and Advanced are intended for Line-Of-Sight flying while the Micro and Vector are targeted for FPV.
Feb 03, 2017, 06:56 AM
ancora imparo
Rick, the interesting unknown is the Telemetry functions, which you have wisely annotated with "?".

Since the Guardian Advanced is a general purpose fixed wing stab usable with any Rx then it raises some pertinent questions.
1) Will telemetry only be usable when a Spektrum compatible satellite is used and with Spektrum transmitters?
2) If telemetry is usable with other receivers such as FrSky, how do Eagletree intend to manage the protocols?

It's not as straightforward as with the Vectors since they will assume a separate telemetry link/OSD.

The Guardian is operating in a much more restricted technical environment. The average user will have a receiver and the Guardian, that's all.

John
Feb 03, 2017, 09:38 AM
Mark
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj604
Rick, the interesting unknown is the Telemetry functions, which you have wisely annotated with "?".

Since the Guardian Advanced is a general purpose fixed wing stab usable with any Rx then it raises some pertinent questions.
1) Will telemetry only be usable when a Spektrum compatible satellite is used and with Spektrum transmitters?
2) If telemetry is usable with other receivers such as FrSky, how do Eagletree intend to manage the protocols?

It's not as straightforward as with the Vectors since they will assume a separate telemetry link/OSD.

The Guardian is operating in a much more restricted technical environment. The average user will have a receiver and the Guardian, that's all.

John
You have a good point here John. I've been using the G for a few years now and following the main forum. One of the great advantages of the G is the simplicity of setup. To my knowledge I haven't seen any calls on the main forum for the G to have telemetry capability. I think if ET were to introduce this for the Advanced then the unit would run the risk of becoming too complicated for a novice user, which after all is where the G shines in helping new pilots, and assisting those of use of senior years If the Advanced function is to remain an insight flying aid then I would suggest ET stay with keeping it simple.
Feb 03, 2017, 01:06 PM

Fwiw

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearprop88
My friend printed2 of these for me.
The first one came out perfectly. I like it very much, I think I'll have a few more made.

The second was printed sort of backwards.
The lettering is reversed, and the slots for the RX in connector, and servo connectors are reversed.
Any idea how this happened, and how to prevent it?
The reason one of the trays was printed reversed is because the original one made from the file was used as a template for making the second one.

If you 3D print anything use the file to make each item.
Don't make a copy.
Feb 03, 2017, 03:51 PM
Rick
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj604
Rick, the interesting unknown is the Telemetry functions, which you have wisely annotated with "?"....
Telemetry in the Vector line is communicated via an overlay on the FPV video stream by the OSD. This makes eminent sense in FPV flying. Data displayed on your tx screen is pretty useless when you're wearing goggles. The Guardian line, however, will not have OSD and therefore no telemetry. Where I put those question marks in the table I was thinking of data logging, which the Advanced most likely will have in some form but we don't know what it might log.
Feb 03, 2017, 04:18 PM
Rick
I've been thinking about Hugo's original question about differentiation and it seems like there are some different application targets for the different models. Certainly there is overlap but here is a shot at defining the best use for each model:
  • Guardian: LOS, fixed wing, sport and scale flying
  • Guardian Advanced: LOS, fixed wing, ranging flight
  • Micro Vector: FPV quad racing and agile flight
  • Vector: FPV, fixed wing or multi, ranging flight
LOS=Line-Of-Sight

FPV=First-Person-View

Ranging; Flying beyond the immediate flying field. Generally further and higher than sport planes and often with a slow cruiser like a Bixler or Tundra sometimes carrying a landscape camera with or without an FPV camera.

Agile flight: Slaloming among the trees or obstacles, perhaps with some rolls and loops.
Feb 03, 2017, 04:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by choochoo22
Although possibly obvious, one feature which drives application is the form factor.

If you want to stack mount one of these units on a tight mini quad where there is normally just space for 35x35 flight controllers and PDBs, there is an obvious candidate.
Feb 03, 2017, 05:44 PM
Rick
The feature table has been updated, thanks for the comments.
Mar 13, 2017, 02:48 AM
Possibly worth showing Loiter capability as this is not universal, and is dependant on GPS.
Mar 26, 2017, 01:38 AM
Feature wise, I'm pretty easy - serial input of all flavors.