Guardian Advanced – what do you want to see? - Page 3 - RC Groups
Thread Tools
Dec 29, 2016, 07:56 PM
Rick
• I never really had a problem with the case on the GV1 but quite a few others have complained over the years. If the GV2 is an “upscale” Guardian, the case should look the part so it’s good a hard case is planned.
• Reconsidering the pots, leaving them off seems the better decision. A wizard is the best approach to simplify the setup of the various parameters. Having the pots also would just make it more confusing.
• It needs to accept the common serial rx inputs as well as PWM. Spektrum satellite, CPPM, S-bus, X-Bus, Greyhound-bus, whatever is popular. I’m not an expert in this area.
• Some receivers producing these serial outputs lack PWM outputs. Spektrum satellite is one example but there are others. I have one rx that can output PPM or PWM but not at the same time. Having a couple of PWM outputs available for camera, gear, flaps, etc. is useful in a flight controller installation. It would be good if the GV2 can assign otherwise unused channels to output pass-through PWM from the serial input.
• The setup wizard should accommodate in one consolidated procedure all the various details that need to be considered and new users often trip over with current G installations; channel function assignment, travel range, direction of motion, mixing, etc. It would seem possible to also include initial level settings, and mounting in any convenient orientation.
• It should be possible to run the wizard at the field, at least with an info-panel and preferably without. It may not be possible to accommodate everything this way but at least the basic flying setup should be possible. If you really want to create a device for this decade, it should include Bluetooth and a cell-phone based app for field setup. This can be an optional add-on if you don’t have the hardware on board.
• This hobby segment, line-of-sight flyers mainly out for a day of fun, is not as interested in parameter logging as the longer range FPV group. Here it’s mainly for checking performance, and post-disaster forensics. Neither is necessary on every flight or every day, very often, or even at all. Accordingly, the PSU for monitoring pack current should be optional but the logging should include good detail on brownout and signal loss information.
• The GPS should not be required but it will be a very popular option. It would be good if it is offered bundled with the FC with a price break as well as a later add-on. Presumably this will be the same GPS as the Vector.
• The main reason for the GPS, of course, is return-to-home. It would be useful/fun if it also allowed waypoints (set on the computer) and auto-land (same spot and direction as launch). Without RTH, a power-off circling landing is a good idea on signal loss. I’ve set this up with the current G on a couple of planes using the rx failsafe but fortunately never seen it in action.
• Some transmitters offer 5-6 position switches for mode control. This is likely to be an expanding trend. With a bit of programming, most transmitters can mimic a 4-5 position switch using two switches controlling a single mode channel. Even the current GV1 would benefit from expanding the current 3-pos mode control to 5-pos. Presumably the GV2 will accommodate this. It should not be necessary, however, to have more than 3 modes to be useful for general flying.
• The GV2 will have an on-board altimeter, not dependent on GPS. This should allow a true altitude hold mode, crucial for RTH but also useful for general flying. It would be creative to use this to set a soft-ceiling and/or soft-floor for general flying.
• The attitude hold mode in current 2D should not go away, however. I find the greatest use of 2D is for landings. In that application, altitude-hold is a deal breaker. This accentuates the need for more mode select ability mentioned earlier. A fun addition for a mode would be auto-hover, flipping the plane to a steep angle for hover/harrier maneuvers. This could be added to the GV1.
• Not sure how this figures in to the GV2 modes but there should be an option to engage the rudder in 2D. This is a shortcoming in the GV1 where 2D would be more useful if this were possible.
• Setting the attitude for 2D will still be necessary, for landings if nothing else. It will also be necessary occasionally to adjust trims. In a Vector, trims are not so important since most flying is done under the control of the FC. With a GV1 and, presumably, GV2 some flying will be done in “off” mode where trims matter. Gesture 1 and 2 should be retained, they are quick, convenient, and well understood by current users, although I’ve always thought they are backwards.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Dec 29, 2016, 07:59 PM
Rick
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMenter
Please don't forget the 6 channel Tx users without sliders or dials.
A two position switch can give high and low gain, a 3-pos switch can be high-med-low. Multiple switches can be employed with programming. Were you thinking of something else?
Dec 29, 2016, 11:09 PM
Registered User
Wintr's Avatar
I like having access to the individual gains via pots; if the model has a tendency to oscillate in one axis (usually yaw), I find it nice to be able to reduce the gain between flights, without having to fire up a tablet or PC. This is especially true of models that usurp my one analog channel, so I don't have the master gain control. If the new version detects and kills oscillations better, without adversely affecting other functions, then the pots can go, IMO.

I use one of those cheap altimeters that HK sold, and find it accurate enough; if a similar device were included, all it needs is to capture current ground level, to control AGL, as long as the mean air pressure doesn't change much. I wouldn't depend on it to maintain AGL at less than about 50 feet, as any turbulence passing through the model and around the sensor seems to affect the readings. Still, for new users that expect attitude hold to include altitude as well, there may be less discussion on that subject.
Dec 30, 2016, 02:43 PM
Rick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintr
I like having access to the individual gains via pots; if the model has a tendency to oscillate in one axis (usually yaw), I find it nice to be able to reduce the gain between flights, without having to fire up a tablet or PC.....
I agree, but I find this is only necessary for the first couple of flights, then I never touch the pots again. It would seem simple enough to set up a procedure to do this at the field using an info-panel.
Jan 01, 2017, 11:04 PM
Great Southern Land
Berkie's Avatar

Make the new box openable


And, seeing there will be a proper box this time, please ensure it is openable because if the plastic pots are retained it can happen
that they break off, so then, the only way to adjust the pot is to get inside the case with fine pliers

I have had to cut open the present styled case to do this.

Also the present styled case does allow a small amount of movement of the card inside which doesn't help stability for the gyros.

Even with the new case I can recommend 3M Dual Lock Reclosable Tape SJ3550 http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...4922900&rt=rud, against velcro because although velcro is good - have a look as to how much a Guardian on velcro can lift up (and stay there) when you pull on the Rx wires. The velcro won't come away but it does allow the Guardian to be tilted slightly which of course will affect pitch of the model.
Jan 02, 2017, 10:50 AM
Registered User
Wintr's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkie
Even with the new case I can recommend 3M Dual Lock Reclosable Tape SJ3550 http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...4922900&rt=rud, against velcro because although velcro is good - have a look as to how much a Guardian on velcro can lift up (and stay there) when you pull on the Rx wires. The velcro won't come away but it does allow the Guardian to be tilted slightly which of course will affect pitch of the model.
I don't bother with a removable installation, and just use the 3M double-sided trim tape. The only time I remove a G is when that model is not repairable, so cutting into it is not an issue.
Jan 04, 2017, 09:19 AM
Learning to crash
Tom T's Avatar
I dont know if it will be an option or not, but I sure would like to be picked to beta this in a plane when its available to do so. I do own a Vector, and 4 Guardians now. Just sayin.

Jan 04, 2017, 09:40 AM
I'd be mad without a Taranis!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom T
I dont know if it will be an option or not, but I sure would like to be picked to beta this in a plane when its available to do so. I do own a Vector, and 4 Guardians now. Just sayin.

Me too, and ditto!
Jan 09, 2017, 02:51 AM
Registered User
wazoo22's Avatar

OK, so I'm an outlier. Save the pots!


The guardian needs to be adjstable as easily as possible, and the pots do it. I adjust mine often, for the first dozen flights, and it's important for me not to need to carry cables and a laptop to the field. It all depends on the market you are shooting for, and general stabilization is it. Otherwise, a Vector or a mini-vector are what you need, not a puffed-up and overcomplicated sort-of, quasi- crippled autopilot.
The simple guardian also performs a real service to the hobby. My friend quit RC model airplanes because he, like me, got sick of endless crash repairs. I discovered the guardian, and for me it saved the hobby. It took me a year to talk my friend into a guardian and a new model, but now he's back full bore, and is a real admirer of ET,
We do not need another autopilot. Puhleez!
We need to save the beginners, and you need to win them over to ET, if you want to take a longer view.

I'd go for a new case, all- receiver compatiblity, etc. but keep the price point low, keep the pots and KEEP IT SIMPLE.
Last edited by wazoo22; Jan 09, 2017 at 03:01 AM.
Jan 09, 2017, 06:10 AM
Damn that dog can fly.....
JPJI's Avatar

Android app


Please can we have an android app so we can alter settings at the field with an OTG cable?

The mobius camera has this functionality which is is a must for a device with no screen.
Jan 09, 2017, 10:42 AM
Registered User
No pots, and both Android and iPhone apps for setup and adjustment.
Jan 09, 2017, 03:49 PM
Great Southern Land
Berkie's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by wazoo22
the guardian needs to be adjstable as easily as possible, and the pots do it. I adjust mine often, for the first dozen flights, and it's important for me not to need to carry cables and a laptop to the field. It all depends on the market you are shooting for, and general stabilization is it. Otherwise, a vector or a mini-vector are what you need, not a puffed-up and overcomplicated sort-of, quasi- crippled autopilot.
The simple guardian also performs a real service to the hobby. My friend quit rc model airplanes because he, like me, got sick of endless crash repairs. I discovered the guardian, and for me it saved the hobby. It took me a year to talk my friend into a guardian and a new model, but now he's back full bore, and is a real admirer of et,
we do not need another autopilot. Puhleez!
We need to save the beginners, and you need to win them over to et, if you want to take a longer view.

I'd go for a new case, all- receiver compatiblity, etc. But keep the price point low, keep the pots and keep it simple.
+101!
Jan 09, 2017, 04:11 PM
Great Southern Land
Berkie's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by wazoo22
The guardian needs to be adjstable as easily as possible, and the pots do it. I adjust mine often, for the first dozen flights, and it's important for me not to need to carry cables and a laptop to the field. It all depends on the market you are shooting for, and general stabilization is it. Otherwise, a Vector or a mini-vector are what you need, not a puffed-up and overcomplicated sort-of, quasi- crippled autopilot.
The simple guardian also performs a real service to the hobby. My friend quit RC model airplanes because he, like me, got sick of endless crash repairs. I discovered the guardian, and for me it saved the hobby. It took me a year to talk my friend into a guardian and a new model, but now he's back full bore, and is a real admirer of ET,
We do not need another autopilot. Puhleez!
We need to save the beginners, and you need to win them over to ET, if you want to take a longer view.

I'd go for a new case, all- receiver compatiblity, etc. but keep the price point low, keep the pots and KEEP IT SIMPLE.
What you say about the Guardian is very true.

I used to fly rc gliders which were easy to take off and land but a bit boring.
So I started on on conventional fixed wing rc about 3 years ago, but it was just a series of crashes. I did have a Guardian then but did not really study and understand it as I should have.

Four months ago I made an effort to get on top of it. I must say it has made a wold of difference since. I even get compliments now as to how well I can handle over 2Kg models in strong wind.

I can understand what your friend went through and I am sure there are many out there like him and myself that just love RC planes but can't handle them (let's face it - it aint easy - I know of a 20,000 hour airline pilot that has no chance whatsover of flying these things - he flies control line only), and to those guys the Guardian is a boon.

But I do agree, don't complicate it any further
Jan 10, 2017, 03:42 AM
Mark
mapes12's Avatar

Flexibility of Mode Setup Request


I like to take off in 3DHH and land in 2D(no HH). However, 2D locks me into the G overseeing all 3 axis. I'd prefer it if the G would just look after the AIL roll axis on landings to keep the wings level as the model comes in which would then allow the model to "sink" down in accordance with it's own design style without the G affecting the ELE which can create an unnatural approach.

Therefore, having something like a "Custom" mode where we can pick and mix how we want the G to handle parts of the setup would be very welcome please.
Jan 10, 2017, 10:38 AM
Registered User
Wintr's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapes12
I like to take off in 3DHH and land in 2D(no HH). However, 2D locks me into the G overseeing all 3 axis. I'd prefer it if the G would just look after the AIL roll axis on landings to keep the wings level as the model comes in which would then allow the model to "sink" down in accordance with it's own design style without the G affecting the ELE which can create an unnatural approach.

Therefore, having something like a "Custom" mode where we can pick and mix how we want the G to handle parts of the setup would be very welcome please.
First, the G does not control rudder in 2D, with or without HH; second, you can set level to the pitch you like on landing. This is usually slightly nose up for trikes, and level, or slightly nose down, for tail draggers. It can really be anything you want.