Dec 23, 2016, 12:07 PM
The Guardian Advanced will definitely have a hard plastic case

Re configuration, the thinking is that the unit will not have pots, as mentioned. Setting up most of the new features (RTH, support for serial rc receiver modes, etc.) is accomplished by running a simple wizard, which overrides the directional function of the pots. The wizard can be run either via Windows GUI, or with our optional LCD module.

But, not having the pots will mean that the individual gains will not be adjustable at the field, unless you have the LCD or a laptop there. The overall gain will still be adjustable with a knob, of course. Is this a problem for anybody?

Regards, John
to remove ads between posts
Dec 23, 2016, 12:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnET

Re configuration, the thinking is that the unit will not have pots, as mentioned. Setting up most of the new features (RTH, support for serial rc receiver modes, etc.) is accomplished by running a simple wizard, which overrides the directional function of the pots. The wizard can be run either via Windows GUI, or with our optional LCD module.

But, not having the pots will mean that the individual gains will not be adjustable at the field, unless you have the LCD or a laptop there. The overall gain will still be adjustable with a knob, of course. Is this a problem for anybody?

Regards, John
No problem.
All the above is great.
I never tweak the pots at the field, and never bring a laptop.
I only use the gain adjust knob for the initial setup.
Dec 23, 2016, 02:01 PM
I have another item to add to my wish list.

AUTOLAND.

I think it would be fun to play around with.
Dec 23, 2016, 02:39 PM
Michael

Fine

I've used other units that allow Master Gain settings via Tx and individual gain settings via LCD / GUI. I never had a problem with that.

In the beginning Guardian installations, I used to tune the POTs to be on the verge of oscillation, but after about two-dozen installations, I now recognize that ROLL is most sensitive, then PITCH, and extremely rarely, YAW. I just use a SWAG setting on the pots and verify, in flight, by adjusting Master Gain. As the stabilization works great even at "less than maximum" adjustment, I've not bothered to fine-tune the POTs.

Even better is a NFC or Bluetooth connection to a SmartPhone App in lieu of an LCD module, but a small LCD module is not a problem to carry to, and use at, the field.

Michael
Quote:

Regards, John
Dec 23, 2016, 05:00 PM
Quote:

Regards, John
No problem as long as the master gain can be set in flight
Dec 23, 2016, 09:28 PM
Mark
Quote:

Regards, John
Not a problem for me.
Dec 24, 2016, 03:45 AM
Great Southern Land
Quote:
Originally Posted by clearprop88
i have another item to add to my wish list.

Autoland.

I think it would be fun to play around with.

+20!
Dec 24, 2016, 05:57 AM
Learning to crash
1, Unit mounting options (i.e. sideways, upside down, on its side, etc)
2, Like JPJI said, 2D self leveling, and seperate center stick mode
3, Hard case (already confirmed)
4, Option to order it with either the 5, 8, or 12" multi lead
5, Cost less than 20 bucks. LOLOL Hey one can hope right?
6, Available in 3 months. Cancel that vacation John, Bill says you take to many anyway
Dec 24, 2016, 11:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPJI
Or if fully adjustable via tx rotary dial not possible, then perhaps an additional flight mode selectable via a switch in flight, i,e.

2D Mode (pitch & bank angle limits)
2D Mode (center stick stabilize only)
2D Heading hold mode
3D Mode
3D Heading hold mode
Off

It would also be nice if you could toggle through ALL flight modes via the tx instead of being limited to selecting just 3. This could be achieved by utilizing (2) 3 position switches, or a toggle feature/gesture? Would this also be possible via just a firmware change and pc software change? It could then be made available to existing guardian owners??
Actually, you would only need one 3 position switch and one 2 position switch, with the 2 position switch channel selecting which 3 modes are available to the 3 position switch channel. Unless, of course, you add Direct Rate to your 3D mode choices.
Then it would be:
2D Mode (pitch & bank angle limits)
2D Mode (center stick stabilize only)
2D Heading hold mode
3D Mode
3D Heading hold mode
3D Mode w/ Direct Rate
3D Heading hold mode w/ Direct Rate
Off
Last edited by Wintr; Dec 24, 2016 at 11:38 AM.
Dec 25, 2016, 05:00 PM

Guardian Advanced what do you want to see?

Here is my opinion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by czorzella
i remember i was one amongst many who requested john and bill for improvements and after a long wait they gave us the firmware v1.24 for free.

With that, most of our wishes came true, but sometimes, more the options you have, more complicated it gets and you end up having less fun.

Today i realize that the guardian (pre v1.24) was almost perfect as it was, specially for its simplicity; installation was a breeze and it worked straight out of the box without hassles. Simple setup and less decisions to make it work, were the key to its success.

Nowadays we have other options for different applications. Et offers vector and now uvector which fills in the gaps left behind by its predecessors. There is no need to adapt an old design to newer requirements, so imo, i'd leave the guardian as it is.

Having said that, i'd only suggest to put it in a hard case and get rid of the 5 gestures for a different and simpler method.

Carlos
Last edited by czorzella; Dec 25, 2016 at 05:37 PM.
Dec 26, 2016, 04:46 AM
because rust never sleeps....
Quote:
Originally Posted by czorzella
Here is my opinion...
I completely agree. Hence my question earlier in the thread about muddying the marketing boundaries between the overlaps in functionality between the products.

Make it clear to see what you are getting with each product (a simple table showing features may help), and prioritise "ease of use" for the end user, over convenience to implement it.
Dec 27, 2016, 02:10 AM
Wow, I've been waiting a long time for a Guardian upgrade.

GPS with RTH is a must.

Plastic Case has been confirmed.

Keep it simple & idiot proof to setup & use too.

Also, Is there anyway to upgrade an original "G" with some kind of plug-in (add on) that we could fit as an option to get basic GPS/RTH ?
Dec 27, 2016, 08:50 AM
Just thumbing through...
I would like to see the Center Stick functions to be made available in all modes, not only 2D, including center stick box size.
Dec 27, 2016, 11:44 AM
Damn that dog can fly.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by victapilot
I would like to see the Center Stick functions to be made available in all modes, not only 2D, including center stick box size.
I would like this also (as a choice in each mode).
It would be nice if this could be made available to existing guardians via a firmware update (and new pc software to control it). Hint, hint....

Edit: forget that. Centre stick stabilise won't be much fun in 3D heading hold mode. Silly me!
Last edited by JPJI; Dec 27, 2016 at 02:35 PM.
Dec 29, 2016, 06:49 PM
Proud Brexit Voter
Quote:
Originally Posted by clearprop88
No problem.
All the above is great.
I never tweak the pots at the field, and never bring a laptop.
I only use the gain adjust knob for the initial setup.
Please don't forget the 6 channel Tx users without sliders or dials.