Guardian Advanced – what do you want to see? - RC Groups
Dec 22, 2016, 01:48 PM
Discussion

Guardian Advanced – what do you want to see?

We are in the planning phase of a Guardian “Advanced” product for fixed wing, and wanted to get some feedback. This product will be in addition to our current Guardian 2D/3D stabilizer, which will continue to be produced and supported.

What do you want to see in a Guardian Advanced? Some of the features we are considering are:

- More outputs for dual elevator, dual rudder, etc.
- Full support for all receiver types (Spektrum Satellite, SPPM, S.BUS, and traditional PWM)
- Built in altimeter for altitude hold and maximum ceiling “Geofence”
- “Controlled descent” feature if radio link is lost
- Return to Home, loiter, distance geofence and waypoint support with optional GPS
- Full data logging for post-flight analysis
- No pots: easy wizard based configuration, either with our Windows GUI, or with the “InfoPanel” LCD at the field
- Advanced stabilization, with ability to do low level “PID” controller tuning
- Telemetry interface for Taranis and other radios
- Configure low pack voltage and other alarms using our Alerter buzzer/LED module
- Support for our pitot tube

So what have we missed? What are your "must haves" for the Guardian Advanced?

Regards, John
to remove ads between posts
Dec 22, 2016, 02:03 PM
Mark
Hi John

Once you have gathered the user feedback do you have an estimated time line for when you plan to bring the advanced unit to market and where do you think the pricing will be?

My input is about the USB connector. I think we need something more robust.

Mark
Dec 22, 2016, 02:10 PM
Unfortunately no. We have learned our lesson on trying to provide ETAs on new products. There are just too many variables and if we don't meet the date, well lets just say we don't like the pitchforks and torches As a comparison we announced the MicroVector around May of this year and they started shipping a couple days ago. But, it could be a quicker or longer development time.

Until we finalize what the features are, and source the parts, we will have no way of providing a price point. However, keep in mind that the MicroVector, that has much more capability than this product will, has a list price of $117.59 and is currently selling for $99.95.

Regards, John
Dec 22, 2016, 02:43 PM
This is my MUST HAVE;

- Full support for all receiver types (Spektrum Satellite, SPPM, S.BUS, and traditional PWM)

These are my LIKE TO HAVES;

1 - No pots: easy wizard based configuration, with Windows GUI

2- Telemetry interface

3- Return to Home, loiter, distance geofence and waypoint support with optional GPS

Thanks for creating this thread.
The Guardian needs an upgrade.
Dec 22, 2016, 02:53 PM
Damn that dog can fly.....
Hi John,

I would like an additional channel that would allow 2D pitch and bank angle limits to be adjustable 'in flight' via a rotary knob on my transmitter.

- a bit like master gain adjustment in 3D mode, the pitch/bank angle limit would enable you to adjust limits from say 30° to 360° (unlimited) from the tx.
Dec 22, 2016, 02:55 PM
Mark
Just thought of something else.

I think the thin plastic case needs upgrading.
Dec 22, 2016, 03:01 PM
"Some do, some don't"
Subscribed...
Dec 22, 2016, 03:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapes12
absolutely...
Dec 22, 2016, 04:07 PM
Quote:
Just thought of something else.

I'll put that on my list too.
Dec 22, 2016, 04:45 PM

My 2cts

Hi John,
I have 12 Guardians in 12 different planes.
My main concern is : do not make it too complex.
It would be important that the price stays close or preferably below the present level so one can afford to buy multiple units and leave them in the models rather than going through the hassle of re-wiring and re-setting for different planes.
If somebody needs things like Geo-fencing, way-points, altimeters, telemetry, etc..., they can buy one of the Vector versions and migrate those from model to model (good luck and fun).

Musts in order of importance:
- For me the most important feature is a simple RTH function which is easy to set and activate.
- Simpler in-flight trim (do away with the 5 gestures).
- I agree with the need for a more robust case and USB connector fixation.
- PPM in addition to PWM.
Nice to have:
- Flight data logging is a nice to have.
- Reverse the one and two gestures on start-up. Or better still, find some simpler way to reset level and trims.
That's it as far as I'm concerned.
Last edited by Galand; Dec 22, 2016 at 04:56 PM.
Dec 22, 2016, 06:42 PM
Great Southern Land
Quote:
just thought of something else.

+101!!
Dec 23, 2016, 02:31 AM
because rust never sleeps....
Intrigued from a marketing aspect about the feature space for Guardian v Vector.

As I understand it the main differentiation is a) OSD and b) GPS features

If you add RTF to Guardian (which would be nice) isnt this a slippery slope to confusing the two. Will you end up at a position that Vector = Guardian+OSD ?
Dec 23, 2016, 08:55 AM
Thanks for all the feedback guys, keep them coming!

A couple of clarifications/notes;

- This will be for fixed wing only.
- There will be significant difference between the Vector and Guardian line. The Vector has a lot more features than just an OSD. It is a full fledged FPV controller. Although the Guardian can be used for FPV, by the time you add all the additional items to try to match a Vector, you will be way over in cost and there will some integrated feature you still will not have.

Regards, John
Dec 23, 2016, 09:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPJI
Hi John,

I would like an additional channel that would allow 2D pitch and bank angle limits to be adjustable 'in flight' via a rotary knob on my transmitter.

- a bit like master gain adjustment in 3D mode, the pitch/bank angle limit would enable you to adjust limits from say 30° to 360° (unlimited) from the tx.
Or if fully adjustable via tx rotary dial not possible, then perhaps an additional flight mode selectable via a switch in flight, i,e.

2D Mode (pitch & bank angle limits)
2D Mode (center stick stabilize only)
2D Heading hold mode
3D Mode
3D Heading hold mode
Off

It would also be nice if you could toggle through ALL flight modes via the tx instead of being limited to selecting just 3. This could be achieved by utilizing (2) 3 position switches, or a toggle feature/gesture? Would this also be possible via just a firmware change and pc software change? It could then be made available to existing guardian owners??
Dec 23, 2016, 11:15 AM
John

Could you guys allow some of the unused servo outputs on all the product lines to be used as pass through for other channels? Servo/gimbal pan roll and tilt, remote switches, LED control etc.