Orange Rx DSMX/DSM2 - Frsky USB Dongle for Flight Simulator - RC Groups
Dec 22, 2016, 12:34 PM
New Product

Orange Rx DSMX/DSM2 - Frsky USB Dongle for Flight Simulator

Hello
I just discovered this product. This are wireless

I would like to ask if people that get it can report back with which simulators it works

i am interested in using it with phoenix , realfight 7.5 and aeroflight rc 7

since I don't see a switch on the usb dongle I doubt it works with all of them.
Usually dongles with cable have a switch to change the type of signal to make it compatible with different sims

this is the product

dsmx dsm2
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/dsmx-dsm...sb-dongle.html

Frsky
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/frsky-pr...imulatior.html
Last edited by Drra; Dec 22, 2016 at 09:43 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 22, 2016, 02:21 PM
Both clearly say they are for use with open source simulators and provide a list. The ones you name are all commercial sims, definitely NOT open source.

OTOH if you have bought copies of Phoenix, RF7.5 and Aerofly RC7 then you will already have the dongles that come with them so it won't be a problem.

Steve
Dec 22, 2016, 08:06 PM
None of the four simulators in the list (Freerider, HotProps, Liftoff, DRL) are open source.
Dec 22, 2016, 09:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipstick
Both clearly say they are for use with open source simulators and provide a list. The ones you name are all commercial sims, definitely NOT open source.

OTOH if you have bought copies of Phoenix, RF7.5 and Aerofly RC7 then you will already have the dongles that come with them so it won't be a problem.

Steve
I like this because is wireless I use a cable for my transmitter
Dec 26, 2016, 03:17 AM

Hobbyking dsmx/dsm2 flight dongle

I am interested to hear if this works with other flight sims too.
Dec 27, 2016, 09:41 AM
Sometimes you can use cables like these on commercial sims in addition to the commercial copy protection dongle. They may show up as a 2nd transmitter that you can select to use. However it's somewhat limited use in my opinion since it's only 6 channel.

I just use a PPM rx connected to the trainer port on my RealFlight Interlink when I want to wireless sim.
Jan 11, 2017, 07:03 AM
Will this work with linux or android?
Jan 11, 2017, 09:01 PM
Paul
Well, the good news is I have the FrSky version bound to my Taranis X9D+. I was also able to calibrate it in FPV Freerider Recharged. I can go in and fly, yay!

But (there's always one of those, isn't there?), there is some sort of controller or connection issue.

At random intermittent intervals, the light will flicker off once or twice on the dongle. When this happens, it seems like the control inputs go to full throttle and full backwards pitch. It lasts for maybe a second or two, but of course that's enough to usually wildly flip out of control and crash. Sometimes I can go for a minute of normal flying before I get an incident, sometimes it happens several times in a row in 10 seconds.

I tried the dongle both in my Windows 7 laptop (where I was able to fly), and on my MacBook Pro (where I never got calibrated). On both I see the light on the dongle flicker off like that. I'm kind of thinking it may be a problem between the Taranis and the dongle since it happens on both computers and OS.

Any ideas? Any pointers on where to get some support to debug this?
Jan 11, 2017, 09:10 PM
Same as above. Just haven't had the time to troubleshoot.
Jan 13, 2017, 09:22 PM

Osx usb hid

I have followed HelpMeFPV on You tube to the letter with no luck. OSX 10.11.6 D8 Channels 1-6. Radio binding with dongle, OSX sees Dongle for what it is. FreeRider will not ...not sure what I am missing here
Jan 14, 2017, 03:15 PM
Paul
Well, it doesn't help in getting the ORX dongle to work, but I was able to finally solve why I couldn't get a Taranis X9D direct USB connection to work. Before, I was having a problem where the controls mapped into FPV Freerider, but the input values were all over the place and I couldn't calibrate them.

It turns out the inputs on the Taranis all need to have the Weight and Offset set to 50, so that they only use the positive (top half) of the input range. Note: This is not required for the ORX module.

Once I did that, I was able to fly great on the direct USB connection. I had gotten the ORX wireless partially to solve the control problems I was having with the direct USB input, and partially to not need the cable.

Still can't figure out why the ORX control has the intermittent blips. I'm pretty sure it's an issue where the connection from the Taranis to the ORX dongle is dropping. When it does, the light goes off and the control inputs go whacky. Only lasts a second, and then reconnects and the controls are fine.

I don't know why I keep buying ORX stuff? I have the ORX module for the Taranis as well, got that so I could fly the Inductrix Tiny Whoops on DSM2. That module works almost OK as well, but won't stay bound, I have to keep rebinding all the time.

Sigh...
Paul
Jan 14, 2017, 03:18 PM
Paul
Quote:
Originally Posted by shocky111
I have followed HelpMeFPV on You tube to the letter with no luck. OSX 10.11.6 D8 Channels 1-6. Radio binding with dongle, OSX sees Dongle for what it is. FreeRider will not ...not sure what I am missing here
Sorry, not additional help, other than to share your pain. I also can not get FPV Freerider to see the USB controller on OSX. I can get a Windows 7 FPV Freerider to see it, but with the dropout problems.

Paul
Jan 16, 2017, 07:03 PM
I have several macbooks and I tested on 2 of them. One saw it no problem and freerider and DRL and liftoff all saw it.. of course it had dropouts... the other saw it and bound, but it didn't see the actual input from the Taranis. I think it must have something to do with the usb drivers I have loaded on to the one macbook for Cleanflight and Betaflight... thats the only thing I can think of.

I tried an app that monitors usb input and it saw the usb and even knew it was a 6 channel FrSky, but didn't see any input coming through.
Jan 28, 2017, 09:08 AM
Hi guys,

I also had dropout issues,
Rebinding with a wider distance to the reciever solved that problem.
Feb 03, 2017, 09:51 AM
SpareParts
I am also having issues with the Frsky version on my MAC. It works fine in the Bootcamp (Windows) but nothing on the OSX side. I couldnt even find anything about any drivers. I also have the DSMx version and it works perfect on both OS's.