This thread is privately moderated by Chophop, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Dec 22, 2016, 07:59 AM
Was a lookin fer loomyum foral
Thread OP
Discussion

XTI Trifan 600 Build Proposition

As my Entertrainer build comes to a close, I see a new build coming that would overcome my hated obstacles, the fence and wires. The XTI Trifan 600. This looks like it will be the most practical VTOL to date.
There is a full scale Trifan approaching it's appearance, although I can't afford a real one, I can have a model. My plan is to hopefully use an open source Tricopter flight controller I can modify for this job. One challenge will be in how it manages flight mode transitions from VTOL to conventional airplane configuration and back. The rear fan covers will be a challenge also, they must be flawless in function and seal well in conventional mode. I see no reason I can't do this. This way I escape the fence, sun, and wires obstacles.
Some peeks below.
Last edited by Chophop; Jan 11, 2018 at 07:44 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 22, 2016, 08:11 AM
Thread OP
There will be controversy over this airplane, look at what it is. In and out, up and down from a 50 x 50 foot pad , off and gone at 400 mph.
Maybe we'll be seeing those dumb ads saying Airports HATE this airplane.

The Helio Courrier airplane is an exceptionally high performance STOL that can take off and land in a few hundred feet, with a cruise speed of about 150 mph, top speed 170 mph.
Last edited by Chophop; Dec 24, 2016 at 07:23 PM.
Dec 24, 2016, 07:52 AM
Thread OP
I posted this before building because it is not a surprise Skunkworks project. I figured there are other builders that would want to make one also, so HEY ! LOOK AT THIS ! I don't care if someone else beats me to the first RC Trifan completion. If building them for sale, you may want to consider patent infringement on XTI. It is from what I understand legal to build a model for your self.
Dec 26, 2016, 08:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chophop
My plan is to hopefully use an open source Tricopter flight controller I can modify for this job. One challenge will be in how it manages flight mode transitions from VTOL to conventional airplane configuration and back.
Try this.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...t-for-VTOLs%29

A
Dec 26, 2016, 11:54 AM
Thread OP
Thanks, that might save me a year of work. It still may need some changes to be used as a Trifan. I dig in later, getting ready to go get some Chophop slop.
Dec 26, 2016, 06:59 PM
Thread OP
I'd be happy to have one like the shiny model with a fixed twin engine, no VTOL option. Looks that good to me.
I'm hoping to use an Illuminati and Cleanflight. Looks like a cheap way, haven't heard anything bad about the Illuminati.
Just by thinking, it looks like a need to diminish the PID coefficients in fine steps as the plane makes it's transition to flight mode, and to gradually increase the PID coefficients as it changes to landing mode. I think the controller would not be shocked into a sudden need to stabilize and not cause any jerks as it changes.

Quick Reply