The NEW official Lemon Stabilizer Plus thread - RC Groups
Dec 22, 2016, 12:34 AM
ancora imparo
Discussion

The NEW official Lemon Stabilizer Plus thread

This thread is intended to provide a place to discuss the Lemon Stabilizer Plus which began delivery early in January 2017.

It replaces the original thread, which is now closed and is here:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-thread/page69

The original thread was active while the Stab Plus was under development and contains a lot of now potentially confusing information as the design changed significantly over the development period. There is also a current thread on the original Lemon Stabilizer which is still in production and available:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...st-8-posts-%29

The significant difference between the two stabilizers is that the Plus adds an Autoleveling function, user set failsafe on all channels and the ability to utilize all 7 channels for flight control if setup with the stabilizer permanently on. It does not have a satellite connector like the original however, and the original is simpler to setup and use.

This thread is described as the “Official” thread with Lemon’s approval so that there is a single place for discussion and information but it is not started or maintained by them. It is a normal RCGroups user thread and Lemon has no control over it. The various Lemon “official” threads are started by ordinary modelers who have bought the Lemon products and like them.

Lemon is a small company and does no sponsorship, nor do they have any official pilots or users, although they distributed a few prototypes to regular contributors to the original thread and changed the design significantly based on the feedback they received. All the information here is from ordinary customers although the Lemon CEO “Fmak2” will often drop by and answer specific questions on the threads.

The Lemon 6/7-channel stabilized receiver Plus is primarily designed as a “simple” integrated, full range, DSMX compatible receiver and stabilizer for electric models although it is surprisingly versatile. It is a development of the original Lemon Stabilizer, is identical in size and shape with some additional features, but does not replace it. It is available with a simple single short antenna or one that utilizes dual diversity antennas for enhanced reliability of the radio link. The unit is compatible with the DSMX and DSM2 protocols and automatically switches from DSMX to DSM2 and so will work with any Spektrum or compatible transmitter of five channels or more, including the basic DX4e and DX5e units and popular DX6i, as well as computer transmitters such as DX6, DX7, DX8 (both versions) and DX9. It can also work with open source transmitters such as Taranis and Turnigy 9XR using an add-on DSM2 or DSMX module, but some modules, particularly the now obsolete Spektrum DM8 and DM9, are known to be incompatible. The unit provides mixing capability for elevon (delta) and V-tail, and supports dual aileron and flaperon functions.

NOTE: DSM2 and DSMX are terms created by Horizon Hobby and vigorously defended by them. Although there is clearly not the slightest attempt to "pass off" these products as genuine Spektrum items, we have to be careful to not suggest any infringement of their intellectual property. Accordingly the term "DSM2/DSMX compatible" is used to mean an item made by Lemon that works with a transmitter using the Spektrum DSM2 and DSMX data protocols. DSM2 and DSMX are registered Trade Marks of Horizon Hobby.

Lemon has added two widely requested functions: all-channel user set failsafe, and the ability to configure the stabilizer permanently on and free up channel 5 for normal servo or gear use. Hence it can be regarded as a 6 channel stabilized receiver when switchable in flight using channel 5 or as a 7 channel stabilized receiver when permanently switched on. Channel 8 is always available for in-flight master gain adjustment if you have a DX8 or better.

The Stabilizer Plus combines the ease of use and performance of the regular Lemon Stabilizer with enhanced features that give greater flexibility and security of operation. If you have used the basic stabilizer the setup will be familiar. The LED color status, jumper settings, gains and transmitter settings are exactly the same as with the basic stabilizer unless additional functions are used. However the Stabilizer Plus has re-designed firmware although it looks very similar. Internally, the PCB is different with the addition of a pushbutton and 2 LEDs. It also has an upgraded microprocessor (ATMEGA328P) and a 6-axis gyro + accelerometer. In addition to the 3 internal gyros, which allow normal Gyro (rate) stabilization, the Plus adds 3 accelerometers, which make it possible to sense the direction of “down” and therefore enable leveling. The Lemon Stabilizer Plus has a total of 4 possible operating modes depending on the capability of your transmitter:

• Off
• Rate stabilization the same as the existing stabilizer (called “Gyro” by Lemon)
• A beginner Autoleveling function with very restricted bank and tilt angles
• An advanced Autoleveling function with more generous angle limits

It has been designed to be as easy as possible to use and in addition it is a “drop-in” replacement for the original 7 channel Stabilizer while adding the Autolevel functions. The Autoleveling function operates in a similar way to the Spektrum SAFE® Beginners mode and the Rate function is very similar to the Spektrum SAFE® Advanced mode. However Lemon do not claim nor intend this stabilizer to mimic the full flight envelope control functionality of Spektrum’s SAFE/AS3X® system, and discussions on the earlier thread about the Stab Plus in terms of SAFE® functionality proved sometimes confusing.

The Stabilizer Plus can be set up to operate in three different ways. The options are:

1. With stabilization turned permanently off. It then acts as a normal 7 channel non-stabilized receiver. This option is set when DIP switches J4 and J5 are both Off.
2. With stabilization mode switched by channel 5. This is the most common way and leaves 6 channels available for flight controls. Channel 5 output is unavailable for most practical purposes.
3. With stabilization turned permanently on. Channel 5 is then made available and is commonly used for Gear. However the stabilization mode cannot be changed, nor can stabilization be turned off in flight, unless you have an 8 channel or better transmitter in which case you can reduce the Master Gain to zero which effectively shuts stabilization off.

It has a calibration function operated at power up by multiple toggles of the channel 5 switch. By default the stabilizer will attempt to level itself in Auto-level and Recovery modes but this calibration allows you to set the level orientation to that of the plane rather than the stabilizer before a flight. It also automatically recognizes whether it is mounted upright, inverted or on its side if a toggle is done. The values are stored even when power is off until the next calibration or the receiver is rebound.

All control of which mode is active in flight is done through channel 5. Using default values of switch positions on a Spektrum Transmitter, a 2-position switch (eg Gear) will give Off and Autoleveling stabilization and a 3-position switch will give Off, Rate and Autoleveling. This order can be changed to Off, Rate for 2 position and Off, Autoleveling, Rate for 3 position with a simple setup.

Master gain on all 3 stabilization axes is controlled in flight by channel 8 if your transmitter has that. For a 7 channel or less transmitters, master gain defaults to a value 1x.

When using “Permanently on” mode you can chose whether it is Gyro or Auto level.
Last edited by jj604; Jan 25, 2017 at 06:00 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 22, 2016, 12:34 AM
ancora imparo

Getting Help

The first place to go for help and information is the Stab Plus post in the Lemon Instructions thread.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...01&postcount=4

This has attached the Essential Instructions which covers most of the information most people will need in a straightforward way and making no assumptions about prior knowledge.

The Essential Instructions is the first place to look if you have a question!

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...1&d=1487241220

In addition there is a set of complete Instructions (called the Reference Guide) which covers everything in more detail and some topics not in the Essential Instructions.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...9&d=1488573620

There are also links to a 10 minute video on installing the Stab Plus for the first time in a conventional model and a number of short 1 minute videos on single topics and user contributed videos.

Finally there is a table comparing the original Stab (still available) and the Stab Plus as well as a full flow chart of the logic of the Stab Plus startup for people who are familiar with that sort of diagram.
Last edited by jj604; Apr 01, 2017 at 06:59 PM. Reason: Updated to include Reference Guide link
Dec 22, 2016, 12:35 AM
ancora imparo

Published solutions

This thread is the place to look for of solutions that people publish in the thread for specific setups and transmitters.

You should check there first if you are setting up the StabPlus and want to see examples of how it is done.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...2#post36690984
Last edited by jj604; Jan 25, 2017 at 04:52 PM. Reason: Updated to point to specialized thread.
Dec 22, 2016, 12:36 AM
ancora imparo

Reserved 4

Reserved
Last edited by jj604; Jan 19, 2017 at 05:53 PM.
Dec 22, 2016, 12:37 AM
ancora imparo

Reserved 5

Reserved
Last edited by jj604; Jan 19, 2017 at 05:52 PM.
Dec 22, 2016, 12:38 AM
ancora imparo

Reserved 6

Reserved
Last edited by jj604; Jan 19, 2017 at 06:16 PM.
Jan 19, 2017, 06:42 PM
Eye in the Sky
Are there going to be videos put up on this thread like the older one and not just the written instructions ?

As it would seem as many mentioned, having videos showing what the instructions say goes a lot further to give understanding to so many than just what is written does.
Jan 19, 2017, 06:47 PM
ancora imparo
Have you looked at the Stab Plus Post in the Instructions Thread as suggested in Post #2 "Getting Help"?

John
Quote:
Originally Posted by HGhost
Are there going to be videos put up on this thread like the older one and not just the written instructions ?

As it would seem as many mentioned, having videos showing what the instructions say goes a lot further to give understanding to so many than just what is written does.
Jan 19, 2017, 06:52 PM
Up! Up! And Away!
Reserved for later
Jan 19, 2017, 07:17 PM
Eye in the Sky
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj604
Have you looked at the Stab Plus Post in the Instructions Thread as suggested in Post #2 "Getting Help"?

John
those were not just the videos i was referring to....

......but I did not make myself clear in my post...my mistake .
Jan 19, 2017, 07:56 PM
ancora imparo
Give me a link to any others you have found useful and I will make sure the link is put in "Where to get Help" post.

John
Quote:
Originally Posted by HGhost

those were not just the videos i was referring to....

......but I did not make myself clear in my post...my mistake .
Jan 19, 2017, 08:27 PM
I have a new F8F-1 Bearcat that I am installing the Lemon STAB Plus receiver in.

I am still having issues with my landing gear connected to A2/Bind port. I have the DX8G2 and am am using the two position A switch to retract my landing gear. I am trying to use the AUX2 channel for my retractable landing gear since I cannot use AUX3 since it hardwired for the master gain.

What I did do is just connect up a spare servo to the A2/Bind port. When I flip the A switch it runs the servo all the way to the end. When I flip the A switch again it rolls the servo the opposite direction. So AUX2 works but when I connect my landing gear to AUX2 is does not work. When I use the default channel 5 for the landing gear it works fine but I want to enable stability control so I cannot use the gear channel since the lemon-rx uses the gear switch for stability control.

I discussed this issue on the old Lemon Stab Plus thread which is or will soon be closed so I am moving to the new thread.

Thank you,

Tony
Jan 19, 2017, 08:57 PM
Up! Up! And Away!
Tony, have you checked your monitor to see what positions or percentage each switch and position does what with your gear?
Jan 19, 2017, 09:42 PM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
Other than as a safety bailout for a Plus maiden, do people find it necessary to have an OFF position on the mode switch? Once I know the rx isn't going to crash me, I think I'd prefer a two position switch between Gyro and AutoLevel. Fewer switching choices leaves me with fewer ways to screw up in a pinch. And my 2-pos shoulder switches are the easiest for my fingers to find.

Since I'm used to SAFE planes which always have AS3X active, I wouldn't think I'd miss the OFF.