Jan 15, 2017, 07:59 PM
AMA 32832 - SPA L27-VRCS 1138
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet_Flyer
Jim,

I spent many hours cutting all the balsa to make the kit though! Of course had I found a kit then I would have spent many hours tracing and cutting all the parts!!!

Mike
I made a hard copy of Mike's Blue Angel scratch build for future reference. An amazing body of work!

to remove ads between posts
Jan 15, 2017, 08:47 PM
Gosh, I feel guilty for just thinking of building the MK Cosmos 60 that I came across. But then again, just looking at the kit is like looking at artwork!
Jan 16, 2017, 01:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Swanson
I made a hard copy of Mike's Blue Angel scratch build for future reference. An amazing body of work!
Dave,

I'd forgotten that you did that and an impressive stack of paper. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clas...gel-build.html

Most likely I will never again be able to achieve that level of a build again. Lots of people on the web made it all possible from documentation, plans, templates, cores, canopy, suggestions, etc.. It was a major team effort and did instigate other Blue Angel builds .

Mike
Jan 16, 2017, 01:58 PM
It instigated mine. Still one of my all time favorite build threads.
Jan 16, 2017, 06:04 PM
Mine too!

I downloaded the PDF that RCU member judgedredd created and posted in Jet_Flyers (8178) RCU buile threadJet_Flyer's RCU Blue Angel Build thread So I could review it on my tablet.

The PDF is still available for download for those who missed it. Here's the direct link to the download the PDF --- Complete PDF of Jet_Flyer's Blue Angel thread on RCU
Jan 17, 2017, 11:25 PM
WOW, that thread brings back allot of memories. I remember following this thread and Jeff's Aurora thread from beginning to end. It was these two threads that started my desire to build and fly these classics.

Brian, thanks for posting the link and helping me relive some great memories.

David
Jan 18, 2017, 05:01 PM
That's a detailed thread with lots of good stuff. I started reading and looked up to see 469 pages! Ok, will read on the next snowy day. Thanks for the PDF!
Jan 18, 2017, 06:49 PM
Thread OP
Confession is good for the soul!

Jan 18, 2017, 07:12 PM
Well, it is a nice looking box :-)
Jan 18, 2017, 07:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flywilly57
Well, it is a nice looking box :-)
Bet there is good stuff in the box!!!

Mike
Jan 18, 2017, 09:53 PM
I would be happy holding that box.
Jan 18, 2017, 11:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrrcflyer
WOW, that thread brings back allot of memories. I remember following this thread and Jeff's Aurora thread from beginning to end. It was these two threads that started my desire to build and fly these classics.

Brian, thanks for posting the link and helping me relive some great memories.

David
I found RCU in 2006 right before Mike started the thread. Was riveted to it.

I had been toying with the idea of picking up the hobby again and his Blue Angel thread pushed me over the edge so I started collecting all the tools and equipment that I thought I would need from that point on to get back into the hobby and dived in.

I've reviewed the thread too many times to count and even downloaded all the pics and attachments, that took a while, so I could have the larger pics to look at instead of the smaller ones in the the huge pdf.

Mikes definitely a master modeler. I've already used several of his techniques like control horns out of cap screws epoxied into control surfaces and a similar way of mounting fuel tanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ablair
That's a detailed thread with lots of good stuff. I started reading and looked up to see 469 pages! Ok, will read on the next snowy day. Thanks for the PDF!
Awsome thread and the PDF allows me to review the thread offline. It's such a good thread I felt it needed some light here on RCG. Glad your enjoying it.
Jan 20, 2017, 08:19 AM
Jauce is a great source for hard to find kits and parts, but be aware it does not work like ebay, although I have had 100% satisfaction.

The way it works..... for those interested. You bid, then the amount you bid is drafted off your account. You must fund this account first. You can only bid against your deposit.
Once you win (if you win) the goods are shipped from seller to the Jauce warehouse. Shipping cost will be drafted, which is typically low within Japan.
Goods are received at Jauce and inspected (japanese don't eat crap, if it doesn't look good it does not go out!). Once they inspect and approve as ready for shipment, they charge you for international packaging and shipping to final destination.

So, chances you will be scammed are minimum, but you do pay a premium for it. I've purchased several hobby items and I will keep doing so. Some of the stuff they have you can only get through them.

David
Jan 20, 2017, 10:15 AM
Thread OP
I also have had excellent service with Jauce. One thing to get used to is most higher dollar/yen auctions have a "time extension " which eliminates last second snipe bids. With time extension any bid that occurs in the last 5 minutes of an auction will extend the auction 15 minutes. This lets other buyers decide if they want to up the ante, definitely a good thing for the seller and a serious buyer.
Jan 20, 2017, 11:37 PM
Jauce is a great resource that I've used many times to buy hard to find "classic " items ( MK, Tettra, IM, etc.) Invariably you will pay more because of additional shipping costs, but sometimes it's worth it. I was not aware of the "time extension", but that does explain several items I thought I had won that went to someone else....Good to know.

Quick Reply