Rc airship long endurance drone (led) - RC Groups
Dec 20, 2016, 11:04 AM
Discussion

Rc airship long endurance drone (led)

Hi

latest test flight of my RC Airship with mission planer and APM 2.6, performing Way point flight in Auto Mode.

RC Airship Way Point Flying with Mission Planner (2 min 55 sec)

1.5 hr Endurance flight -
RC AIRSHIP Long Endurance Drone 1hr 30 min Flight on one 5.2 Amp Lypo Battery (1 hr 34 min 33 sec)

Camera and gimbal flight over a farm -
RC Airship LED station keeping over a farm. (5 min 39 sec)

Camera Gimbal flight in brighter conditions -
RC Airship LED testing Camera Gimbal controls (8 min 5 sec)

1 cubic meter
200g payload + battery
1 hr endurance
Helium recovery between flights
Last edited by martinlta; Dec 20, 2016 at 11:19 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 20, 2016, 03:53 PM
FlyingRock
Hi Martin

Really interesting stuff.

Can you share some additional info how you put the craft together?

Cheers

Charles
Feb 25, 2017, 02:09 PM
This is pretty cool man
Feb 26, 2017, 04:20 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Missed this over the Christmas season - it is indeed very cool!

How large is the airship? And how did you go attaching the camera?
Mar 03, 2017, 12:58 PM
I just wanna fly, fly, fly
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinlta
latest test flight of my RC Airship with mission planer and APM 2.6, performing Way point flight in Auto Mode.
1 cubic meter
200g payload + battery
1 hr endurance
Helium recovery between flights
Excellent work, Martin!

There aren't many airships flying on APM, and 1 m3 is a nice manageable size. Could you please share some details about your design, e.g. envelope dimensions, motors, props, and control layout?

Would also love to hear how you recover/store the helium between flights. Do you store it at ambient pressure? Or do you (re)compress it? Inquiring minds want to know.

PS: And you've posted footage of the Airlander as well. Excellent! I was going to guess that your countryside looked like England. Airlander confirms it.
Mar 04, 2017, 05:41 PM
I'm sorry but I have to disapprove of this project.

Helium is not viable.

Its a non renewable resource and irresponsible to be using. It's not meant to be separated into its gas elemental form and used this way. Once it escapes your blimp, it essentially exits the atmosphere, lost forever.

Anyone with any scientific care for the longevity of the human race, would not want to put that burden on future generations. Who knows what it may be used for in the future. You taking pictures of a farm is not worth the risk of losing those helium atoms forever. Its a fairly scarce element only found underground, and is already being irresponsibly managed. Don't add to it.

Mar 22, 2017, 08:51 AM

Helium use

Hi Implement

Not sure if you understand the helium use with this airship.

1) I use balloon grade helium which is a grade that would otherwise be wasted by the Helium supply industry. By selling impure helium for party balloons etc the income generated for the suppliers keeps the price of pure helium for MRI scanners and research use etc, at a more affordable level. (Conversation with former head of a UK Helium supply company)

2) I recover the helium and store after each flying day, for both practical and economic reasons. I am also investigating ways to maintain purity of the stored helium long term.

3) It is only 1 cubic meter even if I could afford to throw it away!

4) There are interesting developments with Graphene as a envelope material component, which would prevent all loss of helium as a 1 atom layer of graphene is impervious to Helium. http://vikasb.people.uic.edu/papers/...e-graphene.pdf

5) There is also the possibility of using Hydrogen, though not with the current envelope fabric as static sparks would be an issue.

Regards

Marts
Mar 23, 2017, 12:44 PM
Go small or go home
Quote:
Originally Posted by Implement
Its a non renewable resource and irresponsible to be using. It's not meant to be separated into its gas elemental form and used this way. Once it escapes your blimp, it essentially exits the atmosphere, lost forever.
"The global reserves of helium are known to be approximately 41 billion cubic meters. Most of them lie in Qatar, Algeria, the USA and Russia. Annual global production of helium is about 175 million cubic meters, and the USA remains the largest producer." http://www.gazprominfo.com/articles/helium/

To put that in perspective, gobal reserves will last 234 years at today's rate of consumption (which is actually going down as new ways to use 'less' helium are found). The global reserves may in fact be under valued simply because helium is not expensive enough for anyone to look harder. Helium is formed in the earth's crust as a result of radio active decay. A process that never stops. We will 'never' run out, although we could end up waiting millions of years for reserves to replenish.

"In addition, raw natural gas contains water vapor, hydrogen sulfide (H2S), carbon dioxide, helium, nitrogen, and other compounds." http://naturalgas.org/naturalgas/processing-ng/

Helium is wasted into the atmosphere at a staggering rate from the production of natural gas mining, where it is considered a contaminant of no economic value.

Party balloons, blimps, even full size airships aren't the problem here.
Jun 12, 2017, 12:50 AM
Hey there, great videos. I have a question where did you get the rc blimp with APM? Or did you put it together yourself? I would like to get into rc blimps.

another question:

I am trying to design a new helium envelope and need to know some info. How do I calculate; for a given material used to build the helium envelope and a given payload; what size to build it to make it at equilibrium and/or with a net lift of 1000 grams?

thanks

Michael Cote'

michaelshanecote@yahoo.com
Jun 12, 2017, 07:56 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Hi Michael,

a reasonable rule of thumb is that you get about 1gram of lift for every 'litre' of volume - e.g. 1kg per cubic meter. (give or take, unless you live on a mountain like me :-( ).

For the envelope weight, you'll need to work out the area of your envelope multiplied by the weight per area (eg. 'gsm', or grams per square meter), and then allow a bit extra for seams and so on. Doing it exactly for an ellipsoid airship can be a bit tricky, but you can find approximations and online calculators on the web (e.g. google 'formula for ellipsoid area').

As an example, roughly, using 25gsm 'balloon' foil, a traditional ellipsoid airship about 60cm long by 20cm wide has neutral buoyancy - which you could also guess by looking at a similar sized foil balloon...

hope that helps,

- Chris
Oct 13, 2017, 02:19 PM
I'm curious, what sort of headwinds/crosswinds would this be capable of flying into?