This thread is privately moderated by burkefj, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Dec 19, 2016, 04:10 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

AQM-37 Jayhawk mach 4 target drone

The Jayhawk is a neat target drone, and one of my favorite rocket kits when I was a kid. It's rated at mach 4. The wing is pretty small, a 3.5' wingspan for a 14' long rocket, since at Mach 4 you don't need much.

I found some spare 2.6" lightweight tubing and nose cone I had and decided to make a Jayhawk like RC rocket glider. The 2.6" tubing is very light and the tubing+cone comes in at 4.25oz total. I combined that with one of my Hypersonic wing sets from the kits I make and played around with a stability program to ensure that my flight CG and the lateral stability with the wingtips would work out ok.

the wing is larger than scale to support flight, and I had to chop the lower part of the wingtips down a bit so that they wouldn't drag on the ground. I built a conduit section from laminated depron, mounted my rail guides and skids on that which helped raise it up off the ground some more.

Will use elevon control, 24mm E-6 long burn rocket motors.

painted rtf with motor is 11.25 oz

20" wingspan, 36" long, 2.6" diameter.
Last edited by burkefj; Dec 21, 2016 at 11:36 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 20, 2016, 03:21 PM
Beautiful work and fantastic subject too!
Dec 20, 2016, 04:06 PM
Thread OP
Thanks! Did two flights today, flew perfect, did not touch boost or glide trim, really nice and easy.

Quick Reply