Mar 13, 2017, 07:39 PM
Mike
looks like May 13-14 is when a Free flight event is scheduled, maybe we can get them to split cost of port o potty!
Raed
to remove ads between posts
Mar 13, 2017, 08:09 PM
Scale Aircraft = Scale Crators
Thread OP
The reason I didn't suggest the 13th and 14th right off the bat is because the 14th is Mother's Day.

Looking at the June 3rd and 4th there is another event they're holding. Raed, do you have Jim's (or was it John) contact info?
Mar 14, 2017, 08:24 AM
Jim Demeritte
(727) 712-0996
I wont be able support events from May 27 till about June 27
Last edited by raed5; Mar 14, 2017 at 07:28 PM.
Mar 14, 2017, 09:03 PM
2.1.9 Forever
The FSS #3 at Kennyworld thread is up.
Mar 16, 2017, 05:37 AM
Maiden on Friday! Little bit skeered!
Mar 16, 2017, 06:17 AM
Thread OP
Looks great! I'll probably have the MADRES finished this weekend. Wife is doing a couple of triathlons this weekend so I won't be flying. Might get a chance to go and give it a toss in the field next to the house though.
Mar 16, 2017, 07:16 AM
2.1.9 Forever
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxaneandjohn
Maiden on Friday! Little bit skeered!
I don't blame you, that's a beautiful build!
Mar 16, 2017, 03:44 PM
If that flys half as good as it looks you'll have a great plane there John.
Mar 16, 2017, 08:27 PM
Great article by Gordy regarding F3RES, page 45

http://www.rcsoaringdigest.com/pdfs/...SD-2017-04.pdf
Mar 17, 2017, 07:10 AM
2.1.9 Forever
Quote:
Originally Posted by raed5
Great article by Gordy regarding F3RES, page 45

http://www.rcsoaringdigest.com/pdfs/...SD-2017-04.pdf
Interesting! (In spite of what the table of contents says, the article actually starts on page 35.)

First, if we're going to have F3-RES contests then it looks like someone should cook up one of those talking clocks.

Second, I don't see any way you could possibly have a provision for powered gliders without abandoning the entire point of this contest classification.
Mar 17, 2017, 09:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami Mike
Interesting! (In spite of what the table of contents says, the article actually starts on page 35.)

First, if we're going to have F3-RES contests then it looks like someone should cook up one of those talking clocks.

Second, I don't see any way you could possibly have a provision for powered gliders without abandoning the entire point of this contest classification.
The talking clock is not a problem, I have an mp3 player and an amplifier.
Also Mickey has a full setup with an LED clock display.
As for
Electric launch, it is just a launch method as long as we can match altitude attained with a histart.
Mar 17, 2017, 09:35 AM
Thread OP
I'm thinking that Gordy is blowing it a little out of proportion.

First, F3RES isn't any harder to time for than a normal F3J event. We would do just like the FSS ALES events and have the CD (or assistant) give a 1 min, 30 sec, and 15 sec announcement followed by a 10 sec countdown to the horn. Without having to resort to a contest-in-a-box solution ala Mickey's the same would go for the close of a round albeit maybe an announcement at each min mark. It can be easily worked out. F3K has been able to deal with the window time just fine for a long time and it is much more integral to that discipline.

One of the integral parts of this is having an even starting point for launch. That's exactly how FSS strives to run the current mixed TD events. My only concern is that a 100m CAM limited launch still might be better than what these F3RES ships can do on average. We'll see after we get some time on the ships.
Mar 17, 2017, 11:19 AM
One way to look at it is this:
Last flight, 6 minute max, 9 minute window, and unlimitted launches.
Gordy and is emphasizing the need to have a 1/2 person be ready to retrieve the histart if needed (hence the 1/2)
It can be done with 2 meaning the timer will need to retrieve the histart if needed.
I really would like to see us do this as a 3 person team rather than just individuals.
Mar 17, 2017, 01:47 PM
GUYS! Your really going to like the X-RES! Tossed it this morning into a 5-6 mph wind and flew hands off set up just as instructions said. Set up elevator comp for flaps just as instructions said and flew level on spoiler approach on second toss. Third flight started on moderate bungie tension and the plane popped off at about 20 ft; caught a thermal over my head after the insuing loop and had an unbelievable thirty minute flight landed the airplane at my feet. Adjusted trim a little for luanch and popped of on second bungie launch at about 30 ft; same thing a loop and another thirty minute flight. This bird is a dream - light and nimble. Will have to program a launch mode in this new Horus for this bungie set up. Also I recommend that you go ahead and build you a ballast tube while your building - that's my next step.
Mar 17, 2017, 02:12 PM
I've flown mine in about 10mph with no ballast and really that is the limit. After that it needs ballast.

Quick Reply