Dec 18, 2016, 09:04 PM
Scale Aircraft = Scale Crators
Thread OP
Discussion

Florida Soaring Society Events - General Discussion

Hey everyone. I figured it would be a nice place if we could have a general purpose thread to discuss FSS events.

Important links:
FSS Homepage: http://soar-fss.org/
Current News: http://soar-fss.org/news.html
Contests: http://soar-fss.org/contests.html

Be on the look out for individual threads for contest updates!
Latest blog entry: F3J on the Back Burner
to remove ads between posts
Dec 18, 2016, 09:04 PM
Thread OP
Reserved for current important news:

* Contest schedule has been posted for 2018!
* Pilot classifications have been posted for 2018!
* Year-end scores for 2017 have been posted!
Last edited by mikejr83; Dec 30, 2017 at 06:13 PM.
Dec 21, 2016, 10:54 PM
Alt+24=↑ Alt+25=↓ Use num keys
Here are the pilot classifications for the FSS 2017 season:

Mike, you're going to be up against some serious competition!
Dec 27, 2016, 07:17 AM
The Year Average Scores Column indicates consistent pilot skill ratings.
The Total Points Column indicates pilots who had most fun in 2016.
My consistently being inconsistent puts me in the middle of the pack almost every time score wise; but I got first because I had the most fun!
Enjoy flying with a great bunch of people!
John K.
Dec 27, 2016, 07:33 AM
Forgot to mention; Raed got most points in the Totals Column; but he had to work so damn hard to make it happen that I beat him out on the "Fun Factor".
Dec 28, 2016, 06:56 AM
New Year's Resolution: How can I Double my score on the above chart (show up for more contest )

Don Bebber
Dec 28, 2016, 09:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami Mike
Here are the pilot classifications for the FSS 2017 season:

Mike, you're going to be up against some serious competition!
It is not on the list yet, but Dillon and Gordon are Masters also,
Raed
Feb 04, 2017, 05:10 PM
Pompano Hill Flyers

FSS has elected to include F3-RES as a competition class this year.

FSS has elected to include F3-RES as a competition class this year.

As of right now we do not have any scheduled contests but we are hoping to add some in the second half of the year.

So for all FSS participants, Take a look at this new formatted contest and let's see who can get some F3-RES compliant planes put together soon.

Radian
www.phflyers.com
Feb 04, 2017, 09:57 PM
Thread OP
I know Dave has just received one. Steve Blake delivered a bunch to people before FSS1. I'm talking with HyperFlight about getting one.

Seeing that there are a lack of contests during the middle of the year I'd like to see if the Flying Gators, my local club, wouldn't mind sponsoring one. We just got a new field and it may be a good place for glider contests.
Feb 04, 2017, 10:05 PM
We got 6 X-RES, Steve is almost done with his, I put the tail surfaces together, hopefully I can build some more tomorrow.
We have been discussing bungees, we got the HK 10 meter blue rubber, Steve is getting mono, I will probably use fishing line, we feel 100 meter bungee is a bit too much, maybe 75-80 m would be better for smaller fields.
Raed
Feb 04, 2017, 10:09 PM
Thread OP
I can't remember what the rules said but I thought it was 100m of line. That would be pushing the length of our field. I was going to check with Neil at HyperFlight whenever he got back to me on a model I was waiting for about also ordering regulation bungees. I have a crappy one I got from tower for my first 2m which would be good for practice but is so weak that it wouldn't be useful for a competition.
Feb 05, 2017, 08:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejr83
I can't remember what the rules said but I thought it was 100m of line. That would be pushing the length of our field. I was going to check with Neil at HyperFlight whenever he got back to me on a model I was waiting for about also ordering regulation bungees. I have a crappy one I got from tower for my first 2m which would be good for practice but is so weak that it wouldn't be useful for a competition.
You are right about the rules Mike, Our thinking is that in case we have a short field to fly from, we can reduce the line length, as long as all bungees the same length, and do not exceed 4kg of pull then we would be good.
We are also going to make accommodations for electric launched ones, with some experimenting we can come up with guidelines just like we do with Mixed launch TD.
Another aspect that we will have to figure out is landings.
Raed
Feb 05, 2017, 12:53 PM
ƃuᴉʇɐǝʞ ʇʇoɔs
Summary of the rules here. 15m of tube, 100m of line.

This sounds interesting to me since I'm primarily a builder anyway... predominately wood construction, relatively small, etc.
Feb 06, 2017, 11:28 AM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Link to good english translation of rules...

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...n#post35540327

Rule 6.d states High start line length can be shortened at CD's discretion based on field length. Suggestion to shorten corresponding time too...

I like that Raed has taken lead in getting/setting up multiple contest high starts. Maybe we establish 6 for contest use. Raed can set length to what would make sense as minimum for all our current contest fields.

One of the positive points I see to this class is the lower launch heights driving tougher flights...
Another good point given by others... The cost of these planes means you could easily have/build three or four planes for less then the cost of a good F3J plane. Rules allow switching between two planes in a contest so you could have one for light air and one for windy conditions.

Let's see how many participants chime in with planes over the next few months to see how it develops. (Mine's on order.... )
Those who do get their plane's ready with competition level high starts might want to use an altitude recorder while practicing so we can get a feel for what average launch heights are... This way we can set a starting point for including mixed mode launches.
I'm pretty sure our existing setting of 150m and 30 seconds might be too generous to be competative.

Radian
www.phflyers.com
Feb 06, 2017, 02:58 PM
When we lived in Dallas, Texas 2007-2008 and still today the Soaring League of North Texas did a monthly club contest they call a "Man on Man Scramble". It was a slightly deflated version of "F3-RES" and was some of the most fun I've ever had flying gliders. They use the same launching technique and equipment but simplified the scoring - if five were launching at a time the last one down got five points and the first down got one point. As heats ended winners would shift into heats with better flyers. Most people at that time were flying discuss launch type birds with paper clips taped on the fuse for a hook. Most of the guys were either to old or crippled to discuss launch so this was there way of flying. Using very similar equipment almost like a one class type contest would make it even more fun and certainly less expensive. Guess I'll have to order something? What do I order?????? J

Quick Reply