Thread Tools
Jan 06, 2017, 11:55 AM
Registered User
10% discount with cupon RA1016.

http://bit.ly/2iqtyW6
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Jan 06, 2017, 02:02 PM
Registered User
JRey's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeppler
Well just tried to test fly
Unify pro 5v powered from CAM RAIL
Cam powered from from VTX rail.
25-800mw. It's crystal clear when sitting in front of me.
Fly 3 feet away and it's insane amount of noise - completely unflyable.

Should I try to power it off the separate 5V rail? And power FC through CAM rail?
Where are you powering the FC?
If you're sharing the 5v rail with the vtx, you're oversaturating the 5v rail.
The 800mW of the unify requires 600mA. Adding in the FC can cause issues...
Jan 06, 2017, 05:01 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by downloader9
10% discount with cupon RA1016.

http://bit.ly/2iqtyW6


well THAT figures... I just received 5 in the mail
Jan 06, 2017, 05:07 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeppler
Well just tried to test fly
Unify pro 5v powered from CAM RAIL
Cam powered from from VTX rail.
25-800mw. It's crystal clear when sitting in front of me.
Fly 3 feet away and it's insane amount of noise - completely unflyable.

Should I try to power it off the separate 5V rail? And power FC through CAM rail?

The 5v line has up to 600mA on 4s. If your FC takes lipo power then do it, otherwise power from 5v.
That should leave a lot of room, probably more than 500mA to work with.

Is that VTX that power hungry? 500mA should be enough for 600mW or even more!
The cam should be powered from the 10V rail.
Jan 06, 2017, 05:47 PM
Registered User
From my testing 800mw takes arround 600mA in general...
200mw is enough, so a lot less than 600mA...
Jan 06, 2017, 07:46 PM
Registered User
metropolis's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by downloader9
That's the second affiliate link in this thread. I've got one too, but I don't agree with posting them here. Can we not?
Jan 06, 2017, 09:09 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by OctavioMaia
The 5v line has up to 600mA on 4s. If your FC takes lipo power then do it, otherwise power from 5v.
That should leave a lot of room, probably more than 500mA to work with.

Is that VTX that power hungry? 500mA should be enough for 600mW or even more!
The cam should be powered from the 10V rail.
Unify pro on 5V
I swapped the 5-10v ground and signal pads.
Cam gets 10v power
Vtx gets 5v power

On 25mw - perfect sitting next to me.
When I take off it turns into full static. Brand new unify.
Jan 06, 2017, 10:36 PM
Registered User
f**k me.
figured out the problem. 10v was set for CAM. >< ouch.
Jan 07, 2017, 05:03 AM
Registered User
So tested brand new unify pro 5v (second one lol)

CAM powered off VTX rail - 10v
VTX powered off CAM rail - 5v

Works perfectly fine at 25mw and 200mw
At 500mw and 800mw - cannot transmit. Unify lights get dim. Once set back to 25/200 they're bright and transmits without issues.
So 5V from CAM rail is not really out putting up to 600mA

-

Second test

Cam - powered from vtx rail - 10V
VTX - powered from 5V pads. (The one designated for FC)
FC - powered from Cam rail - 5V

25/200/500/800mw - transmits without issues.

Conclusion: only the 5V pad is rated for 600mA.

Those of you saying 200 is plenty, sure. For a racing/freestyle frame it is. But I am in search of a decent PDB for a 6 and 7 inch build for long range. Hence why I want the 800mw.
Jan 07, 2017, 06:07 AM
Registered User
@zeppler I've run my 5V Unify Pro on 800mW since day one. I hate static in my FPV feed so I feel the more power the better. I've ran plenty of 200mW Vtxs and always had a crappy feed. Unify Pro took care of that. Absolutely zero dropouts and static just about anywhere I fly. I won't run anything else at lower power now. But anyway to get back on topic, those are some interesting findings that you've come up with. Wonder why the FC pads are the only 5 volt pads capable of 600mA?
Jan 07, 2017, 06:19 AM
Registered User
Lol... 800mw, you guys must fly alone... 200mw is plenty. I fly 25mw most of times. The receiver quality and antennas matter a lot...
Jan 07, 2017, 07:32 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by downloader9
Lol... 800mw, you guys must fly alone... 200mw is plenty. I fly 25mw most of times. The receiver quality and antennas matter a lot...
Yeah I run all the top gear, Fatshark HDV2s, Laforge Diversity modules with VAS Mad Mushroom, VAS 3 turn helical and a VAS Aircrew on the 5V Unify Pro. I just don't like static or dropouts when I'm flying, and yes most of the time by myself. I like a perfect signal just about anywhere or around anything I fly. In the spots I fly 200mW was static just about all the time...

Sent from my LGLS740 using Tapatalk
Jan 07, 2017, 03:11 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnw
Yeah I run all the top gear, Fatshark HDV2s, Laforge Diversity modules with VAS Mad Mushroom, VAS 3 turn helical and a VAS Aircrew on the 5V Unify Pro. I just don't like static or dropouts when I'm flying, and yes most of the time by myself. I like a perfect signal just about anywhere or around anything I fly. In the spots I fly 200mW was static just about all the time...

Sent from my LGLS740 using Tapatalk
You understand 200mw can go above 500m easy without major breakups right?
Jan 07, 2017, 03:31 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by downloader9
Lol... 800mw, you guys must fly alone... 200mw is plenty. I fly 25mw most of times. The receiver quality and antennas matter a lot...
yeap. all my race quads are on 200 and 25. With more than 3-4 pilots, I always suggest we hop on 25. especially the size of tracks we fly, dont need anything bigger.

for antennas' on transmitter side its TBS triumph. receiver is Triumph and immersion patch with True-D.

But when you want to send a quad around thick heavy trees through a mountain, 200 cant really go past 30-40 feet. 600-800 is great for flying alone, one at a time. Ive used the matek 1.5amp BEC - and being matek, its unreliable like their pdbs lol.
I love the layout and the osd board, just reporting what I'm seeing as I play around with this.

3 other quads running this board on 200mw vtx's and 16:9 eagle. no issues at all
I'm a happy customer, just sharing findings.
Will try unify on another rrosd board on the CAM rail, to see if its consistent
Jan 07, 2017, 03:42 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeppler

Second test

Cam - powered from vtx rail - 10V
VTX - powered from 5V pads. (The one designated for FC)
FC - powered from Cam rail - 5V

25/200/500/800mw - transmits without issues.

Conclusion: only the 5V pad is rated for 600mA.

I'm curious if anyone from RedRotor reads this, and could verify if this workaround will cause any unintended consequences.

This is exactly the solution I've been looking for myself, thanks for working this out and posting it!