Can I use my Futaba FASST Tx to train on a Futaba FHSS - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Dec 17, 2016, 07:53 PM
Discussion

Can I use my Futaba FASST Tx to train on a Futaba FHSS

I'm sure there is a simple answer to this question, but I'm finding it difficult to get a clear cut answer.

I've got a Futaba 8FG which I'm quite happy with. I've also got an 8 year old son (whom I'm also quite happy with) who keeps asking when Dad is going to get him an airplane! A simple entry level Futaba Tx will suit him just fine, but these are all FHSS, not FASST.

1) Can I still use my FASST Tx to train him on his FHSS system?
2) I've seen where folks have used receivers to accomplish the same thing as a trainer cord. I've got several 617 FS Rxs. Can I do the same with these?

I'm sure this has been posted before. Searching has not led to a clear cut answer. Many thanks.

Mark
to remove ads between posts
Dec 17, 2016, 08:39 PM
▀ ▄ ▀ ▄ ▀ ▄ ▀
do you already have an 8FG ? https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...0#post36441271
Dec 17, 2016, 10:22 PM
I've had one for about 5 years or so. I'm considering a used one as a low cost alternative, but I can see the FHSS route as the more likely choice...
Dec 18, 2016, 07:14 PM
S.A.D. member
Quote:
Originally Posted by markschaffin
I'm sure there is a simple answer to this question, but I'm finding it difficult to get a clear cut answer.

I've got a Futaba 8FG which I'm quite happy with. I've also got an 8 year old son (whom I'm also quite happy with) who keeps asking when Dad is going to get him an airplane! A simple entry level Futaba Tx will suit him just fine, but these are all FHSS, not FASST.

1) Can I still use my FASST Tx to train him on his FHSS system?
2) I've seen where folks have used receivers to accomplish the same thing as a trainer cord. I've got several 617 FS Rxs. Can I do the same with these?

I'm sure this has been posted before. Searching has not led to a clear cut answer. Many thanks.

Mark
1. Yes, you need to use the appropriate trainer cord. The current S-FHSS Futaba transmitters are on the same MPU voltage so the straight trainer cord will work between a current J-series or 6K. The receiver of the new S-FHSS system will be in the aircraft linked to the new transmitter and the 8FG will be the buddy box (Student). You don't have to do anything on the 8FG as by default it transmits 8CH PPM over the trainer port. The new S-FHSS transmitter will be the Master and it will need to be enabled as such in the TRAINER screen.

2. No, the R617FS will not work as the Master transmitter requires PPM going into the trainer port which the R617FS can not provide.

Ivan
Dec 20, 2016, 10:52 PM
Thanks, Ivan. I figured it should work, but couldn't find it explained this clearly.