Sig Rascal 168 project - RC Groups
Dec 17, 2016, 06:32 PM
Build Log

Sig Rascal 168 project

Tomorrow Sunday 12/18 we begin building a Rascal 168. 3 man team. Will try to take as many pics as possible and post our progress here.

For all other fellow Rascal 168 builders that want to contribute to this thread with their build, by all means, post your pics and comments.
Your contribution will help everybody, while providing great entertainment for all. Tips, mods, accessories, engine, motor, radio and servo choices....post here.

As for us, we need to figure out a few things like:

Engine choice.
Canister installation or not.
Electric start maybe.
Extra servo in the tail to split elevators. Not using the wire coupling supplied in the kit.
Making fiberglass cowl and wheel pants.
Covering choices and color scheme.
And a few more super-top-secret-can't-tell-just-yet options and ideas to dazzle all onlookers. Yeah right.

Should be a BLAST.

The Sig Rascal 168 - Toledo Weak Signals 2016 (3 min 39 sec)
Last edited by totegote; Mar 22, 2017 at 04:52 PM. Reason: splelling
to remove ads between posts
Dec 19, 2016, 08:14 PM

And so it begins....

Spent the first day just cracking the box open with both Chris and Marty, only to discover a couple cords of lumber in there. In our impatience and kid-like excitement, we sorted out a few sheets of ply parts that seemingly would make up the fuselage then began separating out pieces for assembly. Oooops. We found that the individual parts are NOT labeled. Don't make the same mistake we did by creating a stack of parts before they are labeled. Fortunately the process of identifying parts is not that critical because the instructions supplied do show all parts sheets before they are cut out. Probably best to take the time to match parts sheets to the instructions and do your own #2 pencil parts identifying. We used an Xacto saw blade to remove parts and their knockouts but found it quicker to use a Dremel cutoff wheel.
Last edited by totegote; Jan 15, 2017 at 06:59 PM. Reason: fixed a flat tire
Dec 20, 2016, 07:45 PM
The instructions start with the fuselage side(s) assembly. We decided to glue the side parts together before removing all the cutouts. The CNC router left uncut flash fuzz in every opening so it is necessary to use a piece of sand paper to clean them up. Also used a file to deal with those little 'nubs' that's left after removing the cutouts. Lots of cutouts so it takes a bit of time. Well worth to do it, besides, all those little pesky details provide for a well built model in the end. Got that bit of wisdom from model building Guru Paul Johnson of airfieldmodels.com. Check out his website, great reading and lots of good building tips, tricks and proper building technique. Just do it, you'll learn a lot.
We then decided to go ahead with laminating the fuselage doublers before quitting for the night.
One other note, because we didn't have an adequate building surface, I suggested to the guys that we go to the local home improvement center and purchase a solid core 36" x 80"x 1-3/4" thick flush exterior door slab. Smooth, exactly flat, long and wide enough for this build and really really heavy. Perfect. $61.00
Last edited by totegote; Dec 24, 2016 at 12:39 PM. Reason: more dressing on the salad
Dec 21, 2016, 08:41 PM
found you, mine will be home first week in Jan , I hope, will copy you because there is no plans if ok, tks frank
Dec 21, 2016, 08:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by totegote
The instructions start with the fuselage side(s) assembly. We decided to glue the side parts together before removing all the knockouts. The CNC router left uncut flash fuzz in every opening so it is necessary to use a piece of sand paper to clean them up. Lots of cutouts so it takes a bit of time. Well worth to do it, besides, all those little pesky details provide for a well built model in the end. Got that bit of wisdom from model building Guru Paul Johnson of airfieldmodels.com. Check out his website, great reading and lots of good building tips and tricks.
We then decided to go ahead with laminating the fuselage doublers before quitting for the night.
One other note, because we didn't have an adequate building surface, I suggested to the guys that we go to the local home improvement center and purchase a solid core 36" x 80"x 1-3/4" thick flush exterior door slab. Smooth, exactly flat, long and wide enough for this plane and really really heavy. Perfect. $61.00
man where did you get the glue tool, neat and what kind of paper in under the wood , thin ca to frame it up???? tks
Dec 21, 2016, 08:58 PM
Servos in the tail with split elevators. Not using the wire coupling supplied in the kit. I like this, did this with my sig spacewalker, better and stronger to me, tks
Dec 22, 2016, 04:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank99
man where did you get the glue tool, neat and what kind of paper in under the wood , thin ca to frame it up???? tks
The glue tool is one of Marty's fly-tying tools. He pulled that out of a drawer after I made a glue blob mess while joining parts. Works pretty good but cleaning the tip of dried CA is a constant thing. Marty never really caught any fish anyway, so he doesn't mind using it for this ( I'm gonna pay for that jab )

The paper is parchment. There was a roll of it nearby in a pantry so we tried and it worked ok for now.

The instructions call for using 4 types of adhesive. Thick CA, medium CA, carpenter's glue and epoxy. I think that's correct as I don't have a copy here at home to quote from. We'll be using thin CA here and there I am sure. What the heck, get all your glues out and use what's best for the task.
Last edited by totegote; Jan 12, 2017 at 04:35 PM.
Dec 22, 2016, 02:13 PM
Hope you've got a big enough shop.
I saw this at the Toledo Show last April and it was a monster.
Dec 22, 2016, 06:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyroger
Hope you've got a big enough shop.
I saw this at the Toledo Show last April and it was a monster.
Yes, the shop is spacious. Thanks to Marty, we have the use of his basement. When he's not looking, we use his refrigerator too.
Dec 22, 2016, 06:51 PM
Quote:
found you, mine will be home first week in Jan , I hope, will copy you because there is no plans if ok, tks frank
Frank,

Welcome aboard. Follow along and chime in. Let us know when your lumber box shows up.

This is what it will look like.
Dec 22, 2016, 07:27 PM
Quote:
Yes, the shop is spacious. Thanks to Marty, we have the use of his basement. When he's not looking, we use his refrigerator too.
To keep the beer cold...LOL!
Hello Clarkston from Up North!
Did you by chance attend the swap meet in Northville, last month?
Dec 22, 2016, 08:44 PM
Quote:
Frank,

Welcome aboard. Follow along and chime in. Let us know when your lumber box shows up.

This is what it will look like.
pumped up, have 3 rascals .074 glow?, 52, 4 cycle and the 110 1.3, for the new one da-70, sbus, what color , servos, lots to buy and choose
Dec 22, 2016, 08:47 PM
Jollyroger,

You bet. And if there's food in there, it's open season. Finders keepers.
Nope, didn't make it to the swap meet although I did want to.
Last edited by totegote; Dec 22, 2016 at 08:49 PM. Reason: Mo info
Dec 22, 2016, 08:54 PM
Quote:
pumped up, have 3 rascals .074 glow?, 52, 4 cycle and the 110 1.3, for the new one da-70, sbus, what color , servos, lots to buy and choose
Hey Frank,

3 Rascals. Ok, you have Rascalmania disease, I understand. Great design.

Let us know what you pick for electronics and engine.

Keep in touch.

Dan
Last edited by totegote; May 07, 2017 at 06:29 AM.
Dec 24, 2016, 10:55 AM

Christmas Eve Day post

Just thought I'd include a post today about the Rascal.

A little history for you. The Rascal was first produced as a 'Jigtime' series free-flight kit by Top Flite back in the 1950's. It was a rubber band powered model that had an 18" wingspan, designed by model airplane pioneer, Carl Goldberg. There were a couple other models that had the name 'Rascal.' One by Claude McCullough in 1948 and another design by Veron, an English plans/kit source of many designs. Neither design is the same as Goldberg's Rascal.
Over the years Sig Manufacturing began producing kits and ARFS in various sizes of the Goldberg inspired Rascal for radio control. Their largest has been the 110" wingspan version ( I think that's the span)....until they recently released a limited production colossal 168" or 14' wingspan kit of the classic Goldberg Rascal design. I think I will look around for some plans of the little Rascal and build one so the Rascal 168 can have a little brother at the field. May as well take advantage of today's micro sized radio systems, servos and motors....right?

Check this out: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-18-conversion

And this Paul Bradley pdf file. Scroll down this after you click on: http://www.parmodels.com/Plans/rascal18.pdf
Last edited by totegote; Dec 27, 2016 at 02:21 AM. Reason: ironed some wrinkles.