Skirtless hovercraft - plans before bulding - RC Groups
Dec 17, 2016, 04:31 PM
Discussion

Skirtless hovercraft - plans before bulding

Hi all,
After reading a little and trying to build a skirtless hovercraft from Foamboard I decided I want to give more time for the planing of the hovercraft before building another.
Here is a 3D model and a plain plan for my next hovercraft, I will be happy for some advice before I start building it.

motor will be Emax XA2212/1400kv, 3 blade prop 8X4.5, 20A ESC, 3S 1300mAh LIPO.
I took jims27 advice and calculated all the gaps for the air to move through:
entrance vent = pi*R^2=pi*10.1^2=320.47 cm^2
first 90 degree the air need to take+3 holes = h*2*pi*R+3*pi*r^2=4.1*2*pi*10.1+3*pi*2.5^2=319.1 cm^2
exit at bottom = 2x*width+2y*width=2*42.5*2+2*33.5*2=304 c"m^2

I designed 2 holes in the front to compensate for the battery weight.
The only thing you cant see in the plan is the servo, I'm going to put 2 servos who can open 2 hatches in the back panel for maneuverability.

I will probably start building it next weekend, so any advice will be appreciate
to remove ads between posts
Feb 17, 2017, 08:09 AM
Hi all, it took me a while but i finished my hovercraft.
I got allot of power and can easily get some good cm off ground.
BUT I got some negative stability - each time the hovercraft tilt to one side it will stay like it, cant make it stay horizontal.
any suggestions? I was thinking maybe to cut some holes in the skirt to let air go to the sides and balance it.
maybe take jims27 advice and cut a cross under the hovercraft?
Last edited by matanlevin; Feb 17, 2017 at 11:26 AM. Reason: add photo
Feb 21, 2017, 08:57 AM
Looks great! Congratulations. -David
Nov 01, 2017, 12:28 PM

Balance

Hi. With regard to your balance problem I had the same trouble. I found by moving my Lipo battery to one side this solved the problem. Your design seams very limited for space to do this. So I think if you added a platform to Move your RC gear around this might help. If not you may need to go back to the drawing board and redesign to allow for a better overal platform to do this.