Sep 15, 2019, 11:55 PM
Beautiful sunset & smooth video.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 25, 2019, 02:13 PM
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Hello guys. Sorry I have not been really active in a while, been doing more fpv freestyle stuff these days. For those who don't have other stores readily available to them, just passing this deal on, Bugs 3 for $53 https://bit.ly/2lAgRys (affiliate link). I may not fly 'em as often anymore but I've still got the whole family including my very original Bugs 3 from the snow flight before they became so popular. Cheers.
Oct 02, 2019, 02:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCC
Hello guys. Sorry I have not been really active in a while, been doing more fpv freestyle stuff these days. For those who don't have other stores readily available to them, just passing this deal on, Bugs 3 for $53 https://bit.ly/2lAgRys (affiliate link). I may not fly 'em as often anymore but I've still got the whole family including my very original Bugs 3 from the snow flight before they became so popular. Cheers.
WOW.....................great price! I almost wish I needed another Bugs 3, but I don't. The few I have still perform like they did out of the box. Hard to beat when you're an old fashioned LOS flier like me.
Oct 26, 2019, 08:56 AM
Hey guys has anyone considered running their bugs 3 on lithium ion 18650 batteries lets say run 3p2s for a ultimate 9000mah 8.4v pack, That should weigh around 285grams and give a straight flight time of 1 hour

Would be great for long range and fpv, down under this battery pack will cost about $60 to build vs a bought lithium polymer pack at around 5200mah 8.4v $60

I have a bugs 3 i bought over 1 year ago i flew it once when i first bought it than i was about to give it away for free the other day when i thought i would go fly a drone again and im hooked put two packs thru the bugs 3 on 2 days but my original batteries are hitting love voltage cut off around 5mins into the flight my battery originally lasted more than 15mins
Oct 27, 2019, 04:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gazza2003au
Hey guys has anyone considered running their bugs 3 on lithium ion 18650 batteries lets say run 3p2s for a ultimate 9000mah 8.4v pack, That should weigh around 285grams and give a straight flight time of 1 hour

Would be great for long range and fpv, down under this battery pack will cost about $60 to build vs a bought lithium polymer pack at around 5200mah 8.4v $60

I have a bugs 3 i bought over 1 year ago i flew it once when i first bought it than i was about to give it away for free the other day when i thought i would go fly a drone again and im hooked put two packs thru the bugs 3 on 2 days but my original batteries are hitting love voltage cut off around 5mins into the flight my battery originally lasted more than 15mins
Trying to fly a Bugs 3 with an added 200gms I'd say you have about the same chance as a snowball in hell! Just adding the long legs & prop guards turned mine from a nifty sport flier to a slug. Search earlier in this thread for other folks' experience with outboard cameras etc.
Oct 27, 2019, 07:38 AM
Hey Oz mine was quiet powerful 1 year ago on a brand new battery with prop guards and legs i had never flown a drone before but i use to build my own 200kph flying wings, i found the bugs 3 very sporty very agile and had plenty of power

I'm now looking at making a single pack using 26650's 2s1p 5000mah so i can run a C5020 fpv camera to hopefully do some coastal shots along our beaches and rivers turn them into panaramic videos

Was looking into diy and pre built gimbals but the weight is a factor

The stock 1800mah 2s lipo weighs 130grams so if i go any lithium ion battery options they will vary from 100-300grams

The lightest pack would be 2x 18650 batterys that will be 3000mah 2s1p 90grams in weight and 33% more duration but i do understand ion cells sag in power
Oct 30, 2019, 10:30 PM
After some hair pulling i cracked success i found that running 2 single cells 2s1p kept shutting down the motors i than today increased my capacity i ran 2s2p 18650 cells 2 were 3000mah 2 more were 2000mah recycled from a old laptop

By running the 5000mah 8.4v pack i ran it for 15mins at just below take off power and the sag voltage was 7.8v under load each cell after 15mins of run time still had 3.9v

Hoover was just off the stick so this thing should be an absolute animal for power with 5000mah

I will make up a 18650 2s2p pack over the next couple of days and go out to the park for a fly and time it
Nov 01, 2019, 08:33 AM
Got a pack together i chose to use the 4 old laptop cells as they are a matching set rather than mix milliamp ratings i wouldnt know the outcome

The 2s2p 18650 batteries slide strait into the old battery compartment i just connected the battery and flew it inside the house, using the old laptop cells i had to use 50% throttle

Using the brand new LG HG2 batteries the hover was 2 notches on the throttle stick! But i only have 3 cells i need 4 to make a 2s2p pack

I also have 3 brand new Samsung T30 21700 3000mah cells but i need 4 to make a pack..
Nov 01, 2019, 10:57 AM
Quote:
Got a pack together i chose to use the 4 old laptop cells as they are a matching set rather than mix milliamp ratings i wouldnt know the outcome

The 2s2p 18650 batteries slide strait into the old battery compartment i just connected the battery and flew it inside the house, using the old laptop cells i had to use 50% throttle

Using the brand new LG HG2 batteries the hover was 2 notches on the throttle stick! But i only have 3 cells i need 4 to make a 2s2p pack

I also have 3 brand new Samsung T30 21700 3000mah cells but i need 4 to make a pack..
The Bugs 3 will fly a bit differently indoors than outdoors - especially in the average size room of a house. All of the wind the props move has nowhere to go except to come back to the drone - creating downward & side push.

I didn’t catch your newly created battery pack weight. If it’s more than original B3 batt stop & consider that your going to have to add quite a bit more weight with camera setup & gimbal.

For what you’re trying to achieve - a smooth, slow-moving video drone - a little extra weight will help.
However - there’s always a trade-off that could include premature ESC and/or motor burnout.

Quite awhile back in this thread someone posted their setup that included camera & factory made gimbal. It showed video of him on a beach.
Search this thread for “gimbal” & see if you can find it. I’ll look for it when I get a chance.
Nov 01, 2019, 01:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHillbilly
The Bugs 3 will fly a bit differently indoors than outdoors - especially in the average size room of a house. All of the wind the props move has nowhere to go except to come back to the drone - creating downward & side push.

I didn’t catch your newly created battery pack weight. If it’s more than original B3 batt stop & consider that your going to have to add quite a bit more weight with camera setup & gimbal.

For what you’re trying to achieve - a smooth, slow-moving video drone - a little extra weight will help.
However - there’s always a trade-off that could include premature ESC and/or motor burnout.

Quite awhile back in this thread someone posted their setup that included camera & factory made gimbal. It showed video of him on a beach.
Search this thread for “gimbal” & see if you can find it. I’ll look for it when I get a chance.
thanks mate there is a video on youtube on a beach looked awesome

I think my laptop battery pack is average but the new LG battery pack is absolutely wild in power

This battery pack 18650 2s2p weighs 200grams the original 1800mah battery weighs 114grams

I have seen the Bugs 3 can take a all up RTF weight of 650grams
Nov 01, 2019, 02:22 PM
One of mine - with tall & short landing gears, runcam swift, vtx, fpv/vtx antenna, stock bottom camera mount lined with foam, mobius mini cam & battery - totals 574 grams. I don’t have the prop guards on it.
It flies good, still sporty, quick/agile. Don’t know how much of a difference 80 grams would make but I’m betting it will slow it down somewhat. That would most likely add some stress to ESCs & motors but maybe not enough to cause much concern.
Ain’t but one sure fire way to find out. Try it.
Last edited by HappyHillbilly; Nov 01, 2019 at 02:25 PM. Reason: Added comment
Nov 01, 2019, 05:23 PM
I just tried the 4 old laptop cells 2s2p and it hit low voltage i came home replaced 2 cells with my new LG cells it flew but again hit low voltage im going to pull the packs apart and make a 3s1p just means i will be limted to 3000mah such a shame i really wanted that huge milliamp pack

On the good side the 3s1p pack will only weigh 150 grams
Nov 01, 2019, 08:05 PM
Gotta give you marks for trying Gazza. That's what our hobby and these forums are all about - if nobody tries we'll never know. Keep us informed & best of luck.
Nov 01, 2019, 10:11 PM
Quote:
I just tried the 4 old laptop cells 2s2p and it hit low voltage i came home replaced 2 cells with my new LG cells it flew but again hit low voltage im going to pull the packs apart and make a 3s1p just means i will be limted to 3000mah such a shame i really wanted that huge milliamp pack

On the good side the 3s1p pack will only weigh 150 grams
Is it actually low voltage or is the transmitter giving an early low volt alarm (beeps)?
The B3 transmitter is known to give premature low voltage signals when using anything other than the original batt type. I’ve even had a good, new supposedly OEM batt give the low voltage signal after only 2 minutes of flight. However, the batt actually lasted over 13 minutes.

I’ve had another OEM batt not give the low volt signal until there was only 30 seconds left in the batt. Learned that one the hard way. LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oztreecrasher
Gotta give you marks for trying Gazza. That's what our hobby and these forums are all about - if nobody tries we'll never know. Keep us informed & best of luck.
Totally agree!!!
Nov 02, 2019, 05:29 AM
Hey Oz thanks mate i really wanted that huge milliamp hour battery pack for duration but it's coming at the cost of weight such a shame ay

HappyHB, i think its the low voltage kicking in the controller does beep but i lose power and the Bugs 3 lands, today i made the 3s1p pack i loaded up the bugs with this battery weighing around 155grams i also put the original Bugs 3 1800mah battery in the drone as well just to see if it could cope with the load and it flew it lost its peak punch and zippy performance but it did carry all the weight

the battery got warm i would say around 50c it was 28c here today i got 7mins flight time i came home and charged the pack it took in a whopping 2800mah batteries are LG HG2 18650 li ion cells

the original Bugs 3 battery is 1800mah 2s1p lithium polymer and last up to 15mins so i am trying to find where i went wrong with 30 percent more milliamps and extra cell and half the flight time for carrying the stock battery which weighs 112grams that really kills the deal that extra battery weight

forgot to add i was flying with the legs and camera attachment plus prop guards that weighs about 80grams i will remove these and remove the stock battery and see how long she last on the li ion cells should be fun..
Last edited by gazza2003au; Nov 02, 2019 at 05:35 AM.

Quick Reply