Thread Tools
Jun 13, 2018, 05:22 PM
Registered User
Panhead5496's Avatar
How big a 3s do you mean? A small 3s 2200 with a lower C rating (I think the higher the C the larger the physical size?) might be ok weight/size wise.

The eBay seller I bought mine from (which was a FPV eBay store) told me he recommends 3s for optimal performance. Just check motor and ESC temps the first few times to make sure it's not getting too hot.

Also my B3 definitely has separate ESCs,...I took it apart recently to transfer to a new frame and it was definitely 4 independent ESCs
Latest blog entry: Live chat room
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Jun 13, 2018, 06:12 PM
Australian Image's Avatar
I'm seriously thinking about trying a 3S. Will need to see what sizes they come in and if not too large, might get one to try out. At least I have the old Bugs 3 to test it on and if that doesn't go up in flames, I can use it on the new one.
Jun 13, 2018, 09:31 PM
Registered User
dragonblade's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panhead5496
To be completely honest with you, I wouldn't recommend this as a camera platform. For the occasional camera outing, sure, but as a dedicated camera platform I think you would be better off spending more and getting something like a phantom 3, with altitude hold, GPS, etc.

The bugs 3 has treated me well with my camera on it, but I fly with no prop guards, landing gear, or gimbal to help with weight. With all the accessories it can lift a cam, but not for long or very stable.
Thanks for your thoughts. For an aerial camera platform, I would prefer a quad with GPS and altitude hold. However, I can't afford a Phantom or any kind of DJI craft as money is tight at the moment. I was considering the Bayangtoys X16 and X21 because they don't cost much more than a Bugs 3 and their GPS seems quite reliable. However, I'm put off by the vibration problem those quads have. I have seen some vibration from the Bugs 3 as well but generally, vibration seems more severe on the Bayangtoys quads. One guy owns both an X16 and a Bugs 3 and he says he prefers the Bugs for aerial filming as he finds the footage more stable. And he's tried all sorts of tactics but cannot get rid of the vibration from the X16 so no longer uses that one as a camera quad. Plus I don't know of any other suitable GPS quads around that price range.
Jun 13, 2018, 09:42 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Australian Image
I've just discovered something rather interesting. After another failure to remain aloft this morning, with just about everything removed, I began to wonder if there was something amiss with the Bugs 3. So I decided to fit the gimbal and standard battery to my unused Bugs 3 and give it a try in our backyard in more controlled conditions.

Lo and behold, I wasn't getting the falling out of the sky situation that was happening earlier. I couldn't do any full tests because of all the trees in our yard, but in the next day or so I'll go back to the park and try things out in a more open area. Perhaps all of those crashes that I've had while learning to fly the Bugs and then the last few hard descents have affected things internally. I'll find out soon enough.
Now that you tried what I was going suggest by using another bugger with the same cam/gimbal setup I would assume you have a problem with the esc's. They are independent and cost little. So I would replace all 4 and see what happens. A little soldering but easy. But if you are going to buy new esc's I would suggest different ones with a 12 to 20 amp rating. That way if you go 3s or maybe even fit better motors in this thing you are covered. Im pretty sure you can find them as tiny as these. Maybe the ones called baby or little bee's? Something in the 40mm x 15mm size would work as long as the wiring is right.
Jun 13, 2018, 10:30 PM
Australian Image's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Total Mayhem
Now that you tried what I was going suggest by using another bugger with the same cam/gimbal setup I would assume you have a problem with the esc's. They are independent and cost little. So I would replace all 4 and see what happens. A little soldering but easy. But if you are going to buy new esc's I would suggest different ones with a 12 to 20 amp rating. That way if you go 3s or maybe even fit better motors in this thing you are covered. Im pretty sure you can find them as tiny as these. Maybe the ones called baby or little bee's? Something in the 40mm x 15mm size would work as long as the wiring is right.
I'm going to do some further testing with both the old and new Bugs 3 to see what happens. I'll be trying out the old Bugs 3 with nothing attached but the battery and then the new with the gimbal and standard battery. At I will once our weather improves.

I've also ordered a 3S 2200mAH battery that's the same size, and not much heavier than the standard 2S, and I'll try it out first with the old Bugs 3. If it flies OK and nothing turns to smoke, then I'll try it out with the new Bugs 3 and gimbal.

I've been thinking about stronger motors and ESCs, but I'll first find out happens.

I like the Bugs 3 and if I can get it going reliably, I'll be plenty happy and, at the end of the day, it'll be heaps cheaper than say a DJI (second hand or not).
Jun 13, 2018, 10:42 PM
Registered User
dragonblade's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Australian Image
I'll be trying out the old Bugs 3 with nothing attached but the battery and then the new with the gimbal and standard battery. At I will once our weather improves.
I'm in Australia too and the weather is crap in SA at the moment - windy and wet. By the way, Ive seen some nice footage from Bugs 3 quads and gimbal combinations so I know this machine has some potential as a camera platform. If I do end up getting a Bugs, I'll use a GitUp cam with it which is pretty light weight. I used to use a GoPro with my Syma X8C.
Jun 13, 2018, 10:47 PM
Epilepsy Awareness
Flying High Mike's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Australian Image
I'm going to do some further testing with both the old and new Bugs 3 to see what happens. I'll be trying out the old Bugs 3 with nothing attached but the battery and then the new with the gimbal and standard battery. At I will once our weather improves.

I've also ordered a 3S 2200mAH battery that's the same size, and not much heavier than the standard 2S, and I'll try it out first with the old Bugs 3. If it flies OK and nothing turns to smoke, then I'll try it out with the new Bugs 3 and gimbal.

I've been thinking about stronger motors and ESCs, but I'll first find out happens.

I like the Bugs 3 and if I can get it going reliably, I'll be plenty happy and, at the end of the day, it'll be heaps cheaper than say a DJI (second hand or not).
Hey Bud, do you have a charger that can check ESC's and servos?

Mike.
Jun 13, 2018, 10:52 PM
Epilepsy Awareness
Flying High Mike's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonblade
I'm in Australia too and the weather is crap in SA at the moment - windy and wet. By the way, Ive seen some nice footage from Bugs 3 quads and gimbal combinations so I know this machine has some potential as a camera platform. If I do end up getting a Bugs, I'll use a GitUp cam with it which is pretty light weight. I used to use a GoPro with my Syma X8C.
On my first Bugs 3 I had a Mobius attached. Vids were not too bad.
But, that flew away though

Mike
Jun 13, 2018, 10:59 PM
Registered User
dragonblade's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying High Mike
On my first Bugs 3 I had a Mobius attached. Vids were not too bad.
But, that flew away though

Mike
Uh oh it's bad enough losing a quad but a camera too! Years ago, I had three fly aways with different copies of the Syma X1. Despite all my searching, they were never found. Though they didn't have cameras attached to them.
Jun 13, 2018, 11:33 PM
Australian Image's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonblade
I'm in Australia too and the weather is crap in SA at the moment - windy and wet. By the way, Ive seen some nice footage from Bugs 3 quads and gimbal combinations so I know this machine has some potential as a camera platform. If I do end up getting a Bugs, I'll use a GitUp cam with it which is pretty light weight. I used to use a GoPro with my Syma X8C.
Same here. I made a bit of a mod to the old Bugs 3 by removing the front light and cutting away some of the shroud, then I attached the RunCam 2 cradle and camera into the gap. A quick test and it's not too bad, stable video except for my constant adjustments in this wind in our back yard.

I could fit my Mobius 2 (which I amazingly got a warranty replacement from Banggood) into the gap more easily and it's lighter in weight, but I want to get familiar with the RunCam before I decide which camera I prefer. The video footage from both looks to be pretty good, but I haven't quite sorted out the metering with the RunCam.
Jun 13, 2018, 11:35 PM
Australian Image's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying High Mike
Hey Bud, do you have a charger that can check ESC's and servos?

Mike.
I'm not sure what's needed for that or what to actually test. I have a power supply (part of a soldering station) that I tried to use to run the Bugs, but it couldn't provide enough current.
Jun 13, 2018, 11:57 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonblade
Thanks for your thoughts. For an aerial camera platform, I would prefer a quad with GPS and altitude hold. However, I can't afford a Phantom or any kind of DJI craft as money is tight at the moment. I was considering the Bayangtoys X16 and X21 because they don't cost much more than a Bugs 3 and their GPS seems quite reliable. However, I'm put off by the vibration problem those quads have. I have seen some vibration from the Bugs 3 as well but generally, vibration seems more severe on the Bayangtoys quads. One guy owns both an X16 and a Bugs 3 and he says he prefers the Bugs for aerial filming as he finds the footage more stable. And he's tried all sorts of tactics but cannot get rid of the vibration from the X16 so no longer uses that one as a camera quad. Plus I don't know of any other suitable GPS quads around that price range.
Have you looked into the Bugs 2?
Jun 14, 2018, 12:53 AM
Registered User
dragonblade's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHillbilly
Have you looked into the Bugs 2?
I have looked at that one briefly but with a built-in fixed camera, the photography options are a bit limited compared to a camera that can be added to a quad. I haven't checked samples from that camera yet but generally built-in cameras on drones offer pretty average image quality except for some of the really expensive models like DJI craft etc. Also, it doesn't look like you can vary the angle of that camera though I could be wrong. Plus there's no gimbal.

On the other hand, if it's powerful enough to lift a gimbal and action camera, then what I typed above can be disregarded.
Jun 14, 2018, 09:34 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHillbilly
The metal plate on the bottom of the motor is a heat sink and is a separate part, so thatís not the problem.
I had a motor bearing go bad & when testing I could feel vibration in all motor arms but it was worse in the arm of the bad motor. When viewing your video it doesnít look like the motor in the background is vibrating as bad as the one.

Try putting the props on & then hold and tilt the quad in various directions while throttling. This will magnify the defect & hopefully youíll find that you only have one bad motor. If not, you might try recalibration the transmitter - but I donít think thatís your problem.
With the props on I thought I felt the most vibrations in the front right motor, but I wasn't sure. So I desoldered this motor, and the vibrations were still there. Perhaps a little bit less, hard to say. So I desoldered the front left motor, and the vibrations were gone. But when I resoldered the front right motor, the vibrations were back....
Only with the two front motors desoldered the vibrations are gone, so I suspect that both front motors got a hit and are the cause of the vibrations.
So I'll have to order spare ones....
Jun 14, 2018, 10:03 AM
Registered User
dragonblade's Avatar
From my findings, it seems that not many people have had success attaching gimbals to the Bugs 2. Looks like you can't add as much weight to it compared to the Bugs 3. So looks like it's back to the Bugs 3 for me.


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools