Dec 17, 2016, 02:49 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Great Planes Trainer .40 & .60 kits found!

Christmas came just a little early this year.

Went to ex-wife's house, used to be ours, ��, to grab a few items from my old workshop and found 3 T-60s & 2 T-40s!

All are in excellent shape.

My question to the group. What can I expect to get for the .40/.60 kits?

I want to keep/build one of each size.

I have my wing jig still. I have OS .60FPs & OS .60FSR engines. I always enjoyed flying the T-60 with the OS .60FP engine.

I would like the group's help/thoughts in the pricing and any new equipment I might include in my second build?

I've been inactive for close to 10 years. I have a Spectrum 2.4 radio, just wondering what coverings are "best" things like that so I can have a reliable and fun plane to return to this great hobby.

Should I stick with nose wheel or go conventional gear?

Thanks for any & all help.

Merry Christmas & Best of Health to All.

Philip
to remove ads between posts
Dec 17, 2016, 08:58 AM
A man with a plan
That's a nice surprise. Congratulations. I agree with your enthusiasm for the 60 FP. I have one on a Cloud Dancer, and running it is a real treat.

There is a new covering to challenge the leading brands. http://www.valuehobby.com/accessories/covering.html The quality level is on par with Monokote and Ultracote, but the price is a lot lower.

Most people nowadays seem to think that tail draggers are cool and tricycle gear is as dorky as Orville Redenbacher. I think it's a weird quirk of modern culture, and I try not to let it influence me, I built the 40 size from plans this year and I set it up with a nose wheel per the plan. It looks good and the ground handling is excellent. I'm all for modifications and being creative, but I don't see how this plane benefits from being converted to a tail dragger.
Dec 17, 2016, 01:02 PM
Mumbling in the corner.
I would decide which is going to be the primary trainer and build that one as a trike geared plane. The other I would build as a taildragger. The reason is that taildraggers do require a it more finesse on takeoff and landing. It's not hard, just one more thing to think about.
Put a bit more dihedral on the trainer, and build the taildragger as more of a sport plane. Just my 2c.
Dec 17, 2016, 02:33 PM
UAS Pilot - FAA# *******HRK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balsaworkbench

There is a new covering to challenge the leading brands. http://www.valuehobby.com/accessories/covering.html The quality level is on par with Monokote and Ultracote, but the price is a lot lower.

Most people nowadays seem to think that tail draggers are cool and tricycle gear is as dorky as Orville Redenbacher. I think it's a weird quirk of modern culture, and I try not to let it influence me, I built the 40 size from plans this year and I set it up with a nose wheel per the plan. It looks good and the ground handling is excellent. I'm all for modifications and being creative, but I don't see how this plane benefits from being converted to a tail dragger.
Agreed on both counts. I've now used both Chinacote and Value Hobby's NeuCover and am convinced they are the same. Hobby King sells the china cote and you can also get it on Alibaba if you can afford the wait time. Hobby Partz was my favorite supplier as they were the cheapest and in the states but they've pretty much dropped the ball on keeping this stuff in stock. Which seems to be a thing with Hobby Partz I've noticed. If it sells they stop trying to keep it in stock and just want peddle crap nobody buys???

I've always prefered trike gear to tail draggers when appropriate. A Mustang on trike gear would just not be right, it'd handle better but ugh.... The same with the Tri-Pacer. It just doesn't look right to me. So I see no reason to convert the T planes to tail dragger unless your going for a "Bush" plane look or something.

Mike
Dec 17, 2016, 02:52 PM
A man with a plan
I've been waiting for somebody to tell me that the Hobby King covering is the same as Neucover. Thanks. I'll put in an order and see how long it takes for it to arrive.
Dec 17, 2016, 09:07 PM
I think those are Joe Bridi designs and he designed several trainers along the same lines. Here is a Krafty 60 you can buy for $85 + $20 shipping. So maybe that will give you a ballpark number to ask for your kits.

http://www.bridiairplanes.com/hangar/krafty60.html
Dec 22, 2016, 04:10 PM
Did you ever decide on weather or not you are going to sell any of the kits?

Quick Reply