Dec 16, 2016, 02:39 PM
Alert

Flying balsa shutting down

Was shopping around for parts for my Dag 60 build and when I went to Flying balsa site looks like all they have left is blades. Their blog says closing before end of the year.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 16, 2016, 02:50 PM
Yep, very sad.

I learned to fly autogyros with their Scout, and still enjoy flying it. It does the best loops of all my gyros. Just a fun machine all around.

Perhaps someone will show up to take over their product line.

Bryan
Dec 16, 2016, 05:28 PM
Here's a tribute to the mighty Scout.

This was on a windy day and I was feeling a bit frisky.

Scout Autogyro on a Windy Day (7 min 1 sec)

Bryan
Dec 19, 2016, 08:35 AM
I think I have a Scout packed away in a box. Now if I could remember where that box is.
Dec 19, 2016, 01:05 PM
Well, it is sad, of course. Isn't there anyone reading this willing to keep it open?
Dec 23, 2016, 10:01 PM

Not closing just yet

Well, it's just about more work and government red tape to close a business than it is to start one. Bottom line we didn't get all the stuff done in time to close out this year so we will continue on into 2017. We basically have NOTHING in stock but I'll be adding a few things again soon. First up will be more blades, then head kits, gimbal kits, then we'll see what happens..

Mark
Dec 24, 2016, 09:37 AM
@Mark. Is it possible to order items that are not in stock?
Dec 24, 2016, 12:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingNiko
@Mark. Is it possible to order items that are not in stock?
I would rather not take an order with payment for something that we don't have in stock but if you email a list of items you want to flyingbalsa1@gmail.com I will let you know when they are ready..

Mark
Dec 25, 2016, 12:10 AM
Mark, will you continue to supply the blades in the future?

If not, are you putting up for sale the blade carving machine?

Mike Smith revolutionized RC Autogyo with his blade carving machine.

Thanks
Dec 25, 2016, 09:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyroguru
Mark, will you continue to supply the blades in the future?

If not, are you putting up for sale the blade carving machine?

Mike Smith revolutionized RC Autogyo with his blade carving machine.

Thanks
Yes, I plan on continuing the blade production, kits...???
No, the blade carving equipment won't be for sale. I would offer it back to Mike's widow first.
Yes, Mike's carving machine and other tooling that goes along with it is pure genius.
Dec 25, 2016, 05:26 PM
That's great news Mark. As soon as they are available I will be ordering some spare blades for my Scout - just in case!

I'm sure you're just looking at resuming existing products now, but if you ever think about an enlarged Scout I'd be one of the first on the list.

Bryan
Dec 26, 2016, 12:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdoxey
That's great news Mark. As soon as they are available I will be ordering some spare blades for my Scout - just in case!

I'm sure you're just looking at resuming existing products now, but if you ever think about an enlarged Scout I'd be one of the first on the list.

Bryan
I have not thought too much about that but it would be fairly simple to do in CAD. How much bigger are you thinking?
Dec 26, 2016, 08:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PT Gyro
I have not thought too much about that but it would be fairly simple to do in CAD. How much bigger are you thinking?
I'm thinking around 50 percent. The trick for me would be to keep the flight characteristics. I really like the wide speed range and maneuverability of the Scout. If you could carry that up with the size increase that would be an amazing machine.

Bryan
Dec 26, 2016, 11:44 PM
Here is a link to thread about a 150% Scout.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...k-on-the-bench

Have not worked on it lately but now that the holidays are wrapping up I will get back to making progress on the Mega-Scout.

Wooly
Jan 01, 2017, 02:14 PM
deleted
Last edited by PT Gyro; Jan 05, 2017 at 07:28 PM.

Quick Reply