Dec 16, 2016, 04:49 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

HK servoless retracts to rotating retracts

Has anyone had success converting a regular servoless retracts to rotating retracts? Honestly, it looks simple. But not really sure if it is possible.

Looking for (not so expensive) retracts for my 46 size F4U Corsair and here's what I thought could work:

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/servoles...ount-2pcs.html
to remove ads between posts
Dec 16, 2016, 05:42 PM
I have been using the HK servoless retracts on my pylon airplane's for a few seasons now without any issues. They would be considered a .60 size airplane but are powered with a YS 115 so they are taking more wear and tear then a typical setup. I haven't looked lately but I'm fairly certain I have seen rotating servoless retracts on the HK site.
Dec 20, 2016, 01:55 AM
Closed Account
I have a set of spring air 100 degree nose unit converted with HK twist and turn:
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/twist-an...-pin-2pcs.html
This conversion works perfect for my 60 size corsair
Dec 21, 2016, 01:37 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerogasrc View Post
I have a set of spring air 100 degree nose unit converted with HK twist and turn:
Thanks. It says here it's for 3mm pin. Did you use a different lever?
Dec 21, 2016, 02:49 AM
Closed Account
No I drilled it to fit
Dec 21, 2016, 07:37 AM
Arrogance,

Fascinating. I need to do this on a Hanger 9 p-40. The stock mechanical retracts are crap. I have a set of electric retracts. Could you post a pic and or explain how the twist adapter is installed on the electric retracts?

Do they come with understandable instructions?

Would greatly appreciate it.

Tom
Dec 21, 2016, 11:06 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
No I drilled it to fit

Nice! What pin diameter did you use? Didn't you have problems with the grub screw?
Dec 21, 2016, 11:20 AM
Closed Account
Drilled the collect to standard 3/16 gear leg then ran a tapped in the grub screw hole. works great and the twist & turn is a very easy install.
Dec 21, 2016, 11:28 AM
Closed Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacx View Post
Arrogance,

Fascinating. I need to do this on a Hanger 9 p-40. The stock mechanical retracts are crap. I have a set of electric retracts. Could you post a pic and or explain how the twist adapter is installed on the electric retracts?

Do they come with understandable instructions?

Would greatly appreciate it.

Tom
No instruction from HK but its very simple you mount the plate to the top of the retract unit,there a ball fitting mount that to the slide area of the plate loosely at first then after you adjust the entire assembly tighten so it slides but don't wiggle, mount the collect with the ball connector to the leg, snap the dog bone on and adjust accordingly. Takes maybe 30 mins to assemble. Now I used spring-air 105 nose unit for my model not that electric isn't OK just I fly this model off a dirt run way and I only wanted to do this one time.
Sep 02, 2017, 09:32 AM
Quote:
Hi,
Any chance you could send me a picture of how to mount the plate on the retract? I am trying to get it setup but it keeps binding on me.

thanks,
dave
Apr 18, 2018, 11:11 PM
Im curious about this
Apr 25, 2018, 05:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparc View Post
Im curious about this
I did initially get them to work but ended up ditching them in the end as they were not reliable and kept binding up. it's all based off of where you mount the plate for them to rotate when the gear is opened. I had to experiment a lot to get it to work and, in my application, ended up with the plate mounted next to the retract due to the holes on the plate not matching up with the mount holes of the retract.

good luck,

dave
Apr 25, 2018, 06:41 PM
I ended up just hand launching mine lolol thanks

Quick Reply