Dec 15, 2016, 02:16 PM

Mode 2 vs. Mode 4

As a total newbee to fixed wing aircraft I am perplexed. I've been flying a 3-channel mini plane in a gym and it seems that its "mode 2" control puts throttle on one stick (left) and rudder/elevator on the other (right). This seems consistent with other 3-channel flyers I've seen.

Now, I'm about to use a Spektrum DX6e transmitter to operate my newly built 3-channel MiniBipe and I find that "mode 2" moves the rudder to the left stick along with the throttle. Since I've never flown a 4-channel airplane I find it counter-intuitive to move the rudder. I would have just expected the ailerons to be added to the throttle stick so the transition to 4-channel would be easy. One could fly a 4-channel airplane like a 3-channel and add ailerons when desired as ones experience grew.

I find that the "mode 4" setup for the DX6 does precisely this.

Now, I'm looking for comments and suggestions from the group. I haven't learned any bad/good habits yet and I'm thinking of using mode 4 right out of the gate. I can be persuaded to use mode 2 instead. Group?
to remove ads between posts
Dec 19, 2016, 01:49 PM
Hi! I just saw your post. I think going with Mode 4 w/ the 3 channel airplane should work ok, it's basically doing the same thing you were doing before and having the primary direction input on the right stick. So no new bad habits created, just the same as before, many beginner 3ch controllers are like this (as yours).

Once you move to a 4 channels model your primary direction input would be on the right stick still, only it's now controlling ailerons. I would definitely push to have the end result Mode 2, that way you can share, other pilots can check your setup, no issues with buddy boxing, etc.
Dec 20, 2016, 05:58 PM
Think of it like this: The right stick controls pitch and roll.
Left stick controls throttle and yaw.

In a 4 channel airplane the wing has ailerons which cause roll
In a 3 channel airplane the wing has dihedral which causes roll when the rudder is moved, but the primary effect is roll not yaw.

Moving the rudder to the left stick makes sense because in a 4 channel airplane the rudder movement is now more yaw instead of roll...

As Ivan said having it mode 2 helps if anyone else flies your plane or helps with a buddy box etc. Also, if you get any bind and fly models they are set up this way.

Frank