KAPOW mixing - Page 2 - RC Groups
Dec 17, 2016, 08:37 AM
I might be asking for too much here, but has anyone made a video of this in action?
to remove ads between posts
Dec 17, 2016, 09:16 AM
Registered Taranis User
That's what I want to see too. If a picture is worth a thousand words, a video is worth a million.
Latest blog entry: Taranis: Aileron-To-Rudder Mix.
Dec 19, 2016, 04:40 AM
Everything's A Compromise
At the end of this video.

Edit: this is the mixing, not the landing.
'm I bad?
D.

Vixen TE (2 min 1 sec)
Last edited by Larrikin; Dec 19, 2016 at 06:32 AM. Reason: My misunderstanding
Dec 19, 2016, 05:35 AM
Registered Taranis User
Yes, thanks. That shows how the control surfaces move in Kapow mix: reflex + down elevator. You can also hear the ailerons rubbing against the flaps when both have too much reflex at the same time.

But I think what Jerry and would really like to see are videos of spot landings using Kapow.
Dec 19, 2016, 06:31 AM
Registered Taranis User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Jolly
I cannot emphasis enough that this is not a magic bullet...
Maybe not magic but the bullet analogy seems to apply.

This is why I want to see it in action, either live or on video, before I even think about trying it myself.
Dec 19, 2016, 07:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larrikin
At the end of this video.

Edit: this is the mixing, not the landing.
'm I bad?
D.
Great thread and vid! Thanks, Bob, for your detailed explanation. As Mike wrote, Kapow is available in the latest version of my F3J/TD setup for the Taranis/Horus. It was Gordy who first suggested adding this feature.

Implementation details:
  • Kapow has its own flight mode, triggered by a down-elevator command. The elevator threshold is user adjustable.
  • By default, Kapow can only be triggered from crow mode (a minimal degree of crow is sufficient). If that's too restrictive you can configure it to be triggerable from all flight modes except Launch and Zoom.
  • Parameters which can be adjusted include: reflex (independently adjustable for inboard/outboard surfaces), elevator trim, elevator travel, and ail-to-rudder mixing

As for elevator and flap travel, the only restriction is the hard end points which you set when calibrating the servos. Normally you'd calibrate the hard end points to the max possible subject to linkage/hinge limits.

- Mike
PS I've corrected the docs to give Bob due credit.
Last edited by mikeshellim; Dec 28, 2016 at 05:49 PM.
Dec 19, 2016, 03:05 PM
Bad command or file name
I think this video shows Daryl using it. I found this when I was setting up Kapow on my planes. It is hard to see but if you look closely you see his ailerons go into full reflex when he noses over.

Vixen at the F3J in the desert 2013 (0 min 54 sec)

By the way if your radio plays sounds here is what I use to alert me that I have activated Kapow. It makes it more super awesome!

Tom
Last edited by Imageek2; Dec 19, 2016 at 03:14 PM.
Dec 19, 2016, 07:49 PM
I just posted a few videos in my YouTube acct. landing the 4.0 X3. It shows the effectiveness of the kapow mix when slow. I am curious to know just how fast guys are landing that are breaking booms?!? I haven't broken a boom in many many years.

Daryl Perkins X3 Kapow mix (0 min 19 sec)
Dec 19, 2016, 09:10 PM
Registered Taranis User
Well, that's encouraging.

I found your YouTube account, it's here. It's exactly what I've been hoping for!

And here's the "play all" button!
Last edited by Miami Mike; Dec 19, 2016 at 09:15 PM.
Dec 19, 2016, 10:44 PM
Videos are a big help, thanks
Dec 20, 2016, 06:14 PM
Scale Aircraft = Scale Crators
Mike, Jeff runs a kapow setup. At the next FSS event you can watch it in action!
Latest blog entry: Finished My Sbach 342!
Dec 20, 2016, 06:28 PM
Registered Taranis User
(Responded via P.M.)
Jan 04, 2017, 07:01 PM
Registered Taranis User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob McGowan
... Back into the radio menu I went and I added another mix, camber, to the down elevator stick switch which would make my ailerons also deflect up in extreme crow just like my flaps were doing. This got me back pretty close to the rotation I could achieve with my old Ka-pow setup with a full flying elevator. This is the setup I fly today.
I tried setting up my Kapow Trigger like this, with the ailerons and flaps all going up as far as possible, but I ran into a problem where they'd collide due to the polyhedral break between them. (You'll hear a lot of this if you listen to the Vixen TE video in Larrikin's post #18.)

But this only happens if they begin their upward travel together. Since my ailerons can go up farther than my flaps, the solution is to give the ailerons a 0.1 second head start. I added some programming to my Taranis to do this and here's the result:

Taranis: The Kapow Trigger (1 min 21 sec)

Imageek2 should recognize the sound file he contributed in his post #22.

I'm also working on a better way to arm the trigger, using a switch on the left side instead of the right side. If anybody's interested, I'll make it a priority to update my blog with the next version of Kapow Trigger.
Last edited by Miami Mike; Jan 04, 2017 at 10:28 PM.
Jan 05, 2017, 03:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami Mike
I tried setting up my Kapow Trigger like this, with the ailerons and flaps all going up as far as possible, but I ran into a problem where they'd collide due to the polyhedral break between them. (You'll hear a lot of this if you listen to the Vixen TE video in Larrikin's post #18.)

But this only happens if they begin their upward travel together. Since my ailerons can go up farther than my flaps, the solution is to give the ailerons a 0.1 second head start. I added some programming to my Taranis to do this and here's the result:
I know the problem even though I do not use KAPOW... It is best to sand or file ailerons & flaps a little, so that free movement is guaranteed.
Jan 05, 2017, 07:37 AM
Registered Taranis User
Yes, it's important to have enough clearance for free aileron travel in Speed and Zoom, the reflex flight modes, but Kapow is a mode that needs to last only a second or so, and neither roll control nor drag is relevant during that second. The objective, as I read Bob McGowan's post, is maximum possible downward thrust from the wing through maximum achievable upward deflection of the ailerons and flaps.

If you can avoid it, I don't think you'd want to trim away the sides of your wing control surfaces enough to allow them to move like that, especially if your radio is versatile enough to give you a way around it.